U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 05:35 AM

1,461 posts, read 4,101,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I'll offer my story.

I have to say, I was never much for messing with animals' body parts, but we ended up with a strange situation.Almost 30 years ago we adopted a puppy from the pound.
Maggie was a mix of some sort, we thought Irish setter, but she never grew what they call "feathers." My husband's best buddy also adopted a puppy from the same litter.
Anyway, Maggie grew, and as she grew, so did her tail.
Boy did she like to wag that tail. She REALLY wagged that tail.
She repeatedly bumped it against the wall, broke the skin, and it this is when things got out of control. There was blood all over the wall. There would be blood everywhere. I would bandage her tail, but she would take it off if it didn't fly off first. People would come over for dinner and end up with bloody legs.
Around this time, my husband's friend had done some research, and figured out what kind of mix our dogs were.
They were part Vizsla, part English setter. Maggie was on the large side, but looked completely Vizsla.
Her sister Bonnie was smaller and, like an English setter a bit more speckled.
For years, it had been customary to dock a third of a Vizsla's tail.
I had never been involved with anything like this before, but then, I had never had a dog that sprayed blood before, either.
Maggie's tail was docked.
She recovered well from the surgery, and chased many a tennis ball.
She lived to be 14. She was still retrieving the week she died.
Her sister Bonnie, who never had a tail problem, lived to be 16.
Ok, this is a medical reason to crop a tail...you weren't doing it so she would look better. She was probably hurting herself from your post so this to me is a medical sitiuation. I just don't think doing it because a dog like my Pit for example will look better or tougher..PS: Pit Bulls are not as tough as everyone would like to think they are. Mine is a big marshmallow and LOVES everyone especially kids..she is gentle, kind, sweet and smart and absolutely adorable with her floppy ears.

Hope your dog is doing better now.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:03 AM

716 posts, read 971,307 times
BlueWillowPlate explained why tails are docked in some breeds. From what I have read, tail injuries like the one her dog had are common in certain breeds, so they are usually docked. On the other hand, I don't see any practical reason to crop a dog's ears anymore.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:29 AM

733 posts, read 1,685,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Alot of things are illegal in Europe.
But as to the cropping thing, its none of my business what someone does to his or her animal beyond obvious malicious cruelty. This doesn't qualify as such.
well I guess it depends on your definition of "malicious cruelty". Some people think it does......

Old 07-26-2009, 09:53 AM

24,889 posts, read 20,319,597 times
Dogs are breed for a specific purpose. If that purpose is to be a toy, then I see no reason that people can't crop their ears or dock their tails.

Is it wrong to tag a cows ear? I guess its wrong to implant a tracking chip into a dog or cat as well.

Hell my cat was born with a bobtail, but you'd probably think I'm an evil person that docked my cats tail.

The species of dogs that normally get their ears cropped, or their tails docked, I doubt would exist without human intervention into the breeding process.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:49 AM

19,081 posts, read 21,208,085 times
Fortunately, my min pin's ears aren't docked. I didn't realize all those dogs with pointy ears weren't born that way until I got her and started researching. The vet and other's kept saying she was a min pin, but all the pics I found were of dogs who had the pointy ears. Meh.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:34 PM

2,242 posts, read 5,437,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Do you mean by "adding crap to their body" someone with piercings all over their body or perhaps has deformed their ears so they hang with heavy piercings...and you say it "looks better"...to who?? Do you think a dog cares if his ears are docked or tail is cropped?? All they remember is that the last time they went to the Vet he hurt them and they shake and quiver and cry...is it worth it? Oh, and to the people who de-claw their cats..do you know that when this happens, the vet actually removes a part of their toe itself?? So...do you think humans need their ears cropped or their nails pulled off?? Since we don't have tails any longer, what do you think we could possibly crop in its place so we "Look Better"??
A dog is not a human.
Quit anthropomorphisizing.

I'm pretty sure a dog won't get depressed because it got its ears cropped.

Everyone who has had their dog's ears cropped say the puppy starts playing right away when they get home as if nothing ever happened.

Stop the BS.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:26 AM

462 posts, read 717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
(This is not allowed on pet forum so no, it's not suitable there)

What do you guys think about cropping and dockin tails of dogs?

People say it's unneseccary, and cruelt, blah blah.

I say if it's done under vet care, then it is perfectly fine.

No more dangerous or suffering as getting spayed/nuetered.

I think for pit bulls it's stupid!! I own a pit bull and I don't need more crap from people by making my dog look meaner and making his head look bigger. That is one big sign of a potential bad pit bull owner is if they crop and dock their dog. IF you see a pit bull un fixed with cropped years and a dock tail it could have a loser wanabe tough guy owner behind them!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-27-2009, 07:52 AM

2,242 posts, read 5,437,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley_man View Post
I think for pit bulls it's stupid!! I own a pit bull and I don't need more crap from people by making my dog look meaner and making his head look bigger. That is one big sign of a potential bad pit bull owner is if they crop and dock their dog. IF you see a pit bull un fixed with cropped years and a dock tail it could have a loser wanabe tough guy owner behind them!!!!!!!!!!
You must not get out much if you really think everyone who has a pitbull with cropped ears is a loser wannabe tough guy.
It's because of people like you that stereotypes(In all forms) still exist.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:53 AM

20,021 posts, read 20,528,200 times
I was once chastised for having my rotts tails docked. It was done at 5 days old, Im sure it hurt but they didnt suffer a life of depression and trama. I had 5 rotts in the house and cant imagine 5 long thick tails smacking into everything. I have pitts now, they dont have docked ears. I really dont like the look. I dont see anything wrong with the procedures.

Now what I think would depress a dog and done soley for the vanity and ego of the owner is dressing them up in cutsie clothing and booties and such.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:55 AM

8,309 posts, read 33,355,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
(This is not allowed on pet forum so no, it's not suitable there)

What do you guys think about cropping and dockin tails of dogs?

People say it's unneseccary, and cruelt, blah blah.

I say if it's done under vet care, then it is perfectly fine.

No more dangerous or suffering as getting spayed/nuetered.
No more shocking or horrible than human circumcision. The difference is that no dog will ever feel sorry for itself our blame its parents for psychological problems that stem from the practice of circumcision and an emotionally distant father.

What's the big deal? Stance on this issue is probably good indication of whether someone is a dog person or a furbaby person.

As an aside, I think pits with the intact, half-flop ears are actually more attractive, but certainly wouldn't judge anyone for cropping the ears into the customary configuration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or