U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:14 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,866,404 times

Advertisements

I think it is cruel, and no amount of "but its done by a vet" bla bla bla is going to change my mind. Would you take your kid to the vet to have half of his ear chopped off, and then explain to everyone its ok because it was done by a doctor! No. Unless it is a medical NECESSITY there is no excuse.

If you want your dog to have short, pointy ears - buy a dog that has naturally short pointy ears. Or better yet, don't buy a dog. Buy a stuffed animal.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:19 AM

5,115 posts, read 9,413,466 times
I think dogs should be left as they are born, without removing body parts to conform to some arbitrary breed standard... geez, it's like some movie actresses having a rib removed to have a smaller waist..it's just nuts, IMHO.

But please spay or neuter all your pets ASAP. Too many die in our shelters. Thanks.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:28 PM

716 posts, read 970,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
I think it is cruel, and no amount of "but its done by a vet" bla bla bla is going to change my mind. Would you take your kid to the vet to have half of his ear chopped off, and then explain to everyone its ok because it was done by a doctor! No. Unless it is a medical NECESSITY there is no excuse.

If you want your dog to have short, pointy ears - buy a dog that has naturally short pointy ears. Or better yet, don't buy a dog. Buy a stuffed animal.

Just don't chew out everyone who has a dog with cropped ears. They may have gotten it from a shelter.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:03 PM

2,242 posts, read 5,434,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post

Don't buy clothes for your kids, don't get your girl's ears pierced, don't feed your kids.
It's not their choice.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I think dogs should be left as they are born, without removing body parts to conform to some arbitrary breed standard... geez, it's like some movie actresses having a rib removed to have a smaller waist..it's just nuts, IMHO.

But please spay or neuter all your pets ASAP. Too many die in our shelters. Thanks.
A little hypocritical.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:14 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,115,240 times
What about de-barking - that's a surgery I believe to be inhumane and wrong for the dog.

Tail and ears is cosmetic - a breed standard.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:29 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,457,074 times
Well what about having a dog spayed or neutered?

Both are surgeries that hurt the animal, and they certainly alter "the way God made them." So we could make a pretty darned solid argument for NOT spaying and neutering, because it's inhumane.

As a slight aside, in farming there are specific reasons for docking tails, and even clipping eye teeth in livestock. And it's not appearance related.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
What about de-barking - that's a surgery I believe to be inhumane and wrong for the dog.

Tail and ears is cosmetic - a breed standard.
That affects the dog though.

Docking and Cropping do not.

Dogs would mind "de-barking"

Old 07-27-2009, 05:13 PM

462 posts, read 717,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
You must not get out much if you really think everyone who has a pitbull with cropped ears is a loser wannabe tough guy.
It's because of people like you that stereotypes(In all forms) still exist.

I never said the word everybody, so I guess you need to work on your reading comprehension. Calm down on your emotions!! now according to you i'm responsible for stereotypes(in all forms). Stop being such a drama queen!!! In my opinion cropping years on pit bulls is stupid and is not good for a breed that has to deal with a bunch of idiots anyway.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:19 PM

4,636 posts, read 4,946,459 times
It's mutilation. Plain and simple. Horses have their tails cut short, and broken too. It should be outlawed. What if animals lopped off our lips so they could wager on drooling contests ? Or stitched our butt cheeks together to see how long it would take us to explode ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or