U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 06:56 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,119,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I have piece of skin on my penis cut off.
Without my choice.
I am fine.

Besides humans get many things done tot hem to make them look better (Implants, tattoos, piercings, botox, etc.)

And I know dogs don't get a say in this, but they also did not get a say in being taken away from their mother, they don't get a say on when they will be fed, when they will be bathed, when they will be walked, etc. etc.
Dogs don't get a say in when they are fed, bathed or walked?

Hopefully when they are hungry, dirty and listless.

Besides, those actions are helpful and show love for a dog.

Docking his or her tail or ears is for the benefit of the owner.

OH, and when a dog is taken away from his mother? Well, if you are ADOPTING a dog, the shelter will not take the dog away from his mother before he is READY and done weaning.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:57 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,119,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwoods View Post
Read up on tail docking. There are legitimate reasons for it. Some breeds have tails that are easily injured, and tail injuries don't heal well.

Right, so don't adopt a dog with a tail "like that" into a home that is not appropriate for him or her OR make/take the proper percausions like moving breakables away from tail level.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:19 PM

2,242 posts, read 5,435,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Dogs don't get a say in when they are fed, bathed or walked?

Hopefully when they are hungry, dirty and listless.

Besides, those actions are helpful and show love for a dog.

Docking his or her tail or ears is for the benefit of the owner.

OH, and when a dog is taken away from his mother? Well, if you are ADOPTING a dog, the shelter will not take the dog away from his mother before he is READY and done weaning.

Yes, they get fed.
Not when they want to though.

Someone who goes through the trouble of paying a vet, and then helping the dog out during the healing process shows the person loves their dog.
Any person can throw a bone at their dog.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:48 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,724,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Nature created most with tails and with floppy ears. Why step in and alter it?
No, people created most dog breeds (or types - in discussions like this it is smart to understnd the difference.) Apart from the elephant - which has much more open and mobile ears than any domestic breed of animal so don't really count - floppy ears - unable to be erected - are not found in nature. Some dog breeds cannot even copulate or whelp without veterinary intevention. Dogs are man-made, period.
Also the diminutization or gargantuism of very large or small breeds is entirely man-made. As is the whole factor of creating pet and working companion animals - dogs are, for the most part, human constructed. Much like chickens bred for meat and eggs, or cattle bred for meat and milk, or rabbits bred for meat. None of the aforementioned would even exist in nature without centuries of human-engineered selection. If you know dogs at all, you would know that most breeds have been drastically altered over the last 100 years.

In short - dogs are not natural, and if you have an affinity for any particular breed, that is only because it was selectively bred by humans. And mutts are just the result of cross breeding or intermixing various breeds.

Also - do not equate ear cropping with tail docking. One is done at 2-3 days old, and is not felt by the pup. They do not have the neural development to feel the snip - just as they do not have the neural development to be able to control their bowels. They don't feel it.

The other is done at 3-4 months old, and requires several weeks of posting and taping. Most dogs are not distressed by this. Teaching them to be potty trained, accept a crate and come when called while ignoring distractions is much more onerous to a dog.

And, how is either any more intrusive than permanently altering the endocrine and hormonal system of a dog via spaying and neutering? Or crating? Or fencing? Or feeding grain based processed pellets instead of real food? Or training a dog plod slowly on a leash instead of "running free"? These things aren't "natural" either, but many have drunk the Kool Aid and accept that somehow docking and cropping are cruel, but none of these other things - that impact the animal for life - are.

Just to provide some balance: I have never allowed any animal in my care to breed. I am secretary for a rescue and spend countless hours and dollars in rescue, foster and rehab. I show dogs in sport. I compete, my dogs are my partners. I feed raw. My dogs are crate and leash trained, and well trained enough to run off leash almost anywhere - they go a lot of places with me. I have titled and put championships on my dogs. And they sleep on my bed, too.

And :gasp: two of them have docked tails.

One more quick thought from someone who works on the front line of rescue. Dogs that are customarily docked and cropped (Dobes, Rotties, Boxers, Bouvs etc) who wind up in rescue in their unaltered state, often have a dismal chance of being adopted because people want a dog who looks like what they expect.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:56 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,877,668 times
Honestly, I have a problem with it.... I am not even a dog owner, but the thought of cutting stuff off REALLY bothers me!!!

Old 07-27-2009, 08:50 PM

3,911 posts, read 4,735,051 times
Cropping should be banned, it's used for cosmetic purposes only. I would never crop, ever.

Tail docking is not even in the same league as cropping. Some dogs were bred to work, alot of them are going to be alot more healthy and happy with a docked tail.

My guess is a broken tail hurts alot worse than the docking.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:54 PM

3,911 posts, read 4,735,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
What needs do you ASSUME those are?
The need to have a "mean" looking dog. I think it's pretty lame.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
The need to have a "mean" looking dog. I think it's pretty lame.
I think dogs with cropped ears look cuter then those with floppy ears.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Cropping should be banned, it's used for cosmetic purposes only. I would never crop, ever.
Is there a problem with wanting your dog to look better?

Old 07-27-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieChick1972 View Post
Honestly, I have a problem with it.... I am not even a dog owner, but the thought of cutting stuff off REALLY bothers me!!!
Piercing girls ears, Cutting your hair, Piercing young girl's ears, Tattoos, etc.
Have a problem with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or