U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 05:52 PM

2,242 posts, read 5,434,390 times

Advertisements

(This is not allowed on pet forum so no, it's not suitable there)

What do you guys think about cropping and dockin tails of dogs?

People say it's unneseccary, and cruelt, blah blah.

I say if it's done under vet care, then it is perfectly fine.

No more dangerous or suffering as getting spayed/nuetered.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:55 PM

96 posts, read 294,590 times
My boyfriend and I were just discussing this because we will be getting a boxer soon.
Its standard for the tails to be docked. I was on the fence about the ears but my boyfriend really likes the look a LOT and i have grown to like it. I think if it is done by an experienced vet who can show you his/her work it's perfectly fine. Also the owner should be willing to care for it re taping etc. Many show dogs have the ears cropped also.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:11 PM

15,616 posts, read 9,158,729 times
Why isn't this topic allowed on the pet forum? That's odd to me.

I think cropping is "unnecessary, cruel, blah, blah" - I'm also "against" declawing cats.

It's no more dangerous to the animal - probably less so - than spaying/neutering but I believe the practice is more akin to foot binding (disfiguring for a cosmetic result) than it is to something practical like spaying/neutering (can stave off certain diseases and is humane population control).

Old 07-25-2009, 06:20 PM

733 posts, read 1,684,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
(This is not allowed on pet forum so no, it's not suitable there)

What do you guys think about cropping and dockin tails of dogs?

People say it's unneseccary, and cruelt, blah blah.

I say if it's done under vet care, then it is perfectly fine.

No more dangerous or suffering as getting spayed/nuetered.
As Far as rotties go "in 1999 the country of Germany passed a federal law that made it illegal to dock a dog's tail or crop a dog's ears. The basis for this law was the fact that the practice of docking and cropping was deemed to be inhumane. In order to comply with the new federal law requiring tails to be left in their natural state, the ADRK (national breed club in Gemany) revised their breed standard for the Rottweiler to reflect the required natural tail. The FCI translated and adopted the new breed standard and gave all FCI member countries several years to comply with the new breed standard. ADRK TAIL STANDARD A docked Rottweiler does not conform to the current FCI breed standard."

So now it is illegal in Europe to even do it.....

Old 07-25-2009, 06:24 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,958,123 times
Its mean. How would you like to have your ears chopped off because someone thought it was pretty? >
As for docking..dogs are born with tails for wagging, and those tails should be left alone.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Its mean. How would you like to have your ears chopped off because someone thought it was pretty? >
As for docking..dogs are born with tails for wagging, and those tails should be left alone.
I have piece of skin on my penis cut off.
Without my choice.
I am fine.

Besides humans get many things done tot hem to make them look better (Implants, tattoos, piercings, botox, etc.)

And I know dogs don't get a say in this, but they also did not get a say in being taken away from their mother, they don't get a say on when they will be fed, when they will be bathed, when they will be walked, etc. etc.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:51 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,958,123 times
Quote:
I have piece of skin on my penis cut off.
Without my choice.
I am fine.

Besides humans get many things done tot hem to make them look better (Implants, tattoos, piercings, botox, etc.)

And I know dogs don't get a say in this, but they also did not get a say in being taken away from their mother, they don't get a say on when they will be fed, when they will be bathed, when they will be walked, etc. etc.
First off, ew. More information than I ever needed to know.

2nd, those operations you mentioned are always the human's decision. Ive never seen a dog get a boob job, a piercing, or botox.
Animals are so much more defenseless than humans. Heck, a human child has more defenses than an animal as to what decisions are made for it.

The dog is wonderful creature. Nature created most with tails and with floppy ears. Why step in and alter it?

Old 07-25-2009, 07:01 PM

Exactly.
Very little of your dog's life is it's decision.

Why should this one procedure be excluded?

Old 07-25-2009, 07:08 PM

15,616 posts, read 9,158,729 times
Quote:
Exactly.
Very little of your dog's life is it's decision.

Why should this one procedure be excluded?
Because this procedure inflicts pain unnecessarily whereas other ways we treat pets are life sustaining and provide care - food, shelter, interaction.

Since you mentioned it, even though I enjoy seeing and interacting with other people's pets I don't like the idea of "keeping" an animal myself. I also see some people's point that a lot of these pets are way overbred and only bred to be pets and to look a certain way - and that, therefore, many purebreds are prone to certain diseases and disfigurements.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:23 PM

They're knocked out when the surgery is done.
No pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or