U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 06:49 AM

33,949 posts, read 32,392,016 times

Advertisements

It's impossible to decide because your best might be my worst.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:25 PM

5 posts, read 5,202 times
Republicans used to have decent, even good presidents.

Lincoln, Eisenhower, and Ford.

Then the Reagan Revolution turned their party into a theocratic cult.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:36 PM

218 posts, read 680,366 times
Subjective, depends on which Party one is :>) I call a toss-up

Old 03-13-2010, 03:05 PM

2 posts, read 1,964 times
Eisenhower, was the last great republican president,like Jackson,he tried to warn the American people about big biz and big money...but as with Jackson, nobody was listening to Eisenhower either

Old 03-13-2010, 04:26 PM

680 posts, read 1,167,546 times
I would divide this question into two parts.

1. Prior to 1940, Republicans were the better by a long shot.
2. Since 1940, Democrats by a whisker

Ronald Reagan was, perhaps, the most harmful president in American history. Most of our economic problems today began with his dismantling of government oversight with respect to the SEC, lobbying rules, the FCC, anti-trust protection, environmental policy, progressive tax codes, the blurring of lines between the public and private sectors, and just about every other imaginable realm of public policy.

Yet Reagan is viewed as the greatest president in history by many Americans. How did he achieve such greatness? In the age of TV-dominated infotainment, he mesmerized the masses with his folksy communication style, rallied the masses to a new and vague notion of American greatness, and got lucky by being in power as the USSR collapsed. Somehow he sold people on the idea that his tax hikes for the poor were really tax cuts, and that his tax cuts for the rich were responsible for creating greater wealth for all in spite of the fact that real wages for the lower-paid half of Americans declined.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:38 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,322,321 times
I think its obvious since we are by definition a republic & not a democracy. Regardless of party philosophy at any given time, as we slowly drift away from our conservative republic type of government towards a liberal democracy we steadily become poorer & more restrictive of the liberty that allowed us to prosper & grow from a country of relatively poor farmers to an industrial giant. Its probably too late now but its folly to ask which party is responsible.
The best leaders have been those who were truly conservative & guarded against big Gov't, over taxation & social programs. The ones who brought us down were those who were & are liberal, for big Gov't, higher taxes & social programs.
It might look good to help the little guy but if the end result is that the rich take their ball & go home everybody is screwed.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:14 PM

24,737 posts, read 26,803,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
George Washington didn't belong to a political party when he was first elected. The Federalist Party wasn't founded until after the first Presidential election.

While Washington's cabinet included men who would create the Federalist Party (Alexander Hamilton, John Adams, etc.) and one who would found the Democratic-Republican Party (Thomas Jefferson), Washington himself never claimed any party affiliation.

Not only was Washington considered himself unaligned with either the Federalists or the Democratic Republicans, but he hoped that no political parties would form. Like other Americans of this time period, he believed that political parties, like those in the British government, caused unneeded factionalism and were a detriment to democracy.
Thank you for saying this

Washington was totally right. Look what we've had in the government for the last 30 years!!!

Old 04-26-2013, 03:43 PM

97 posts, read 171,265 times
First of all, I think it's disingenuous, unfair and downright ridiculous for someone just to "decide" that a certain President would belong to the opposite party today ... fact is, Lincoln was a Republican. Truman was a Democrat. The fact that both Presidents get praise from the other party's members now a days does NOT change that, and all the wishful thinking in the world doesn't change the party they chose to identify with. For an argument like this, someone was either a Republican or a Democrat, because those are much more black and white than terms like "conservative" or "liberal." With that said, I'd say that Democrats have probably had a larger impact on the course of this nation, but I don't know if I feel comfortable saying one party or the other for sure has had better Presidents ... both have had good accomplishments and serious flaws.

The Democrats are credited with leading us through both World Wars, the Korean War and the Great Depression. Many argue that without FDR's social welfare programs, we never would have gotten out of the Depression. Truman's decision to drop the Atom Bomb is credited with ending the War for good and saving millions of additional lives. But should that overshadow the fact that right up until they swooped in to take credit for the Civil Rights Act, they were the party of segregation and racism? Wilson didn't allow Blacks in the White House and segregated the army (which had been previously desegregated by Republicans). FDR vetoed multiple ANTI-LYNCHING bills and appointed a Klansman to the Supreme Court, not to mention threw thousands of Japanese Americans into internment camps. Kennedy threatened to have MLK imprisoned if he marched in Boston. LBJ filibustered and voted against multiple civil rights bills as a Senator. Which matters more in the historical context: the backward racist ideals that the party hung onto for decades or the leadership in tough economic depression and wartime?

The Republicans championed civil rights from the days of Lincoln all the way up until GOP support literally passed the Civil Rights Act, and Lincoln's leadership ended slavery and helped keep the Union together. However, many historians credit the start of the Great Depression with Republican Presidents only looking out for rich Americans and big businesses, cutting too much regulation and leading the country into economic free-fall. Also, Lincoln suspended many civil liberties in the name of winning the Civil War, and Reagan can be charged with doing the same. Reagan helped end the Cold War and rid the world of the Soviet Union, but he also expanded the debt massively. What matters more: the good civil rights record and strong national defense or only looking out for big business leading to the country's worst economic times ever for nearly everyone else and suspending countless civil liberties in the name of the army's success?

My point is both parties have had great Presidents who ... weren't so great when you really pick apart their legacies. Why? Because they were all human, and neither party has a perfect record all-time. All in all, I call it a tie.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:51 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,048,183 times
I think all presidents have to be thoguht of in terms of their times;the events or lack of them.mnay who live t d thru peace time are often forgotten while those who have lead us thru difficult or war times are remmbered.It takes decdes to even now have a idea of just what happen compared to what is prtayerd i media i poltical agneda so comon with medeia as its alwqays been. truman was togut has one of the worse but aht has changed with time.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:51 PM

8,587 posts, read 5,117,096 times
Default Ike was okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Seeing as the Democratic Republican party that was the party of Washington, Jefferson, and countless others changed over to just the Democratic party under Jackson, I'd say they have had the better Presidents. Of course they've been around for a lot longer as well.

Great Republican Presidents, Um, Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt, and Ike. The rest didn't measure up, IMO.
For a Republican, Reagan was the worst in recent memory--maybe even worse than Hoover. He once said "deficits don't matter." Now his party is screaming about what he started in the arms race of the eighties and blaming it all Democrats.

But now Ike had a real vision of where this nation was going--and ultimately did go:

Dwight D. Eisenhower
Dwight D. Eisenhower Quotes - BrainyQuote

And he demonstrated something I don't see coming from the Republican side of the aisle much anymore---compassion in setting priorities

Dwight D. Eisenhower

same source

And he would roll over in his grave seeing the extremists in both parties bashing even modest proposals by the other:

Dwight D. Eisenhower

same source

Yup, ole Ike was the last of the really great Republicans--Theodore being the one before him, and maybe even better.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 04-26-2013 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: formatting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or