U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2009, 04:43 PM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,324,732 times
Reputation: 2558

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I used to say that cigarettes should be banned in all public places, but now I say they should be banned completely. I was watching a show called "The Dr's" today, and they were talking about "third hand smoke." I never heard of this term before today. It seems that even people that smoke outside, and away from us are making all of us sick. Here are some links on this....

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/03/he...h/03smoke.html

Is Third-Hand Smoke A Hazard? : NPR

'3rd-hand smoke' poses risk to infants, doctors say

I say enough is enough already. I remember having friends who were so addicted to cigarettes, they would literally beg to smoke in my car like they would die if they did not have one. I remember going to nightclubs and bars and coming home smelling like smoke and being sick from it. I remember my eyes burning. Sorry for the ranting and all, but what are everyone else's opinion on this issue?

I think we should ban people that want to ban harmless activities in public places because they find them offensive.
I think that if smoking bothers you but you still spend all night in a bar anyway you have a drinking problem. Bars arent public places anyway, they are private businesses on private property that serve people who enter of their own free will. What YOU want should be irrelevant unless the business owner agree's.

 
Old 07-29-2009, 04:44 PM
 
10,485 posts, read 22,566,833 times
Reputation: 6611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
but now I say they should be banned completely

I cannot disagree more strenously!

It is TIME to STOP having government control every aspect of our lives! You are, without realizing it, an advocate for a nanny state - where you want the government to approve or disapprove of everything you do!

BTW, let me ask you this: How well did Prohibition do in regards to booze?

I answered the booze question already, 2 out of 3 people drink, while only 1 out of 5 smoke. Smokers are the minority, so the prohibition on cigarettes would actually work.
 
Old 07-29-2009, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,380,187 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I answered the booze question already, 2 out of 3 people drink, while only 1 out of 5 smoke. Smokers are the minority, so the prohibition on cigarettes would actually work.
Why do you support having the government tell you what you can and cannot do? To control your life?

Why?
 
Old 07-29-2009, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
12,904 posts, read 18,464,697 times
Reputation: 13738
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I answered the booze question already, 2 out of 3 people drink, while only 1 out of 5 smoke. Smokers are the minority, so the prohibition on cigarettes would actually work.
Bans to save people from themselves never work. People would grow and roll their own tobacco just fine.

If people want to smoke in their homes or out in the open than let 'em. They aren't my lungs and the insane taxes they pay for their habit means I don't have to pay as much myself. It's all good for the non-smokers; the smokers are the ones getting the short end of the stick.
 
Old 07-29-2009, 05:04 PM
 
10,485 posts, read 22,566,833 times
Reputation: 6611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Bans to save people from themselves never work. People would grow and roll their own tobacco just fine.

If people want to smoke in their homes or out in the open than let 'em. They aren't my lungs and the insane taxes they pay for their habit means I don't have to pay as much myself. It's all good for the non-smokers; the smokers are the ones getting the short end of the stick.
I used to feel the same way. I feel very strongly on this issue because my dad was a smoker, and both me and my sister were asthmatic. Finally, my mother told my dad she was leaving him unless he quit as it was literally killing both of us. Innocent children and babies who can not help themselves out of the situation should not have to suffer.
 
Old 07-29-2009, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,380,187 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Innocent children and babies who can not help themselves out of the situation should not have to suffer.
I was wondering how long it would take for the "kid" card to be pulled out!

First off - not everyone has kids around them - so that "argument" is, for all purposes, a Non Sequitur one.

The main issue here is your desire - your advocation of having the government control everyones lives.

Why do you want that?
 
Old 07-29-2009, 05:16 PM
 
10,485 posts, read 22,566,833 times
Reputation: 6611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Why do you support having the government tell you what you can and cannot do? To control your life?

Why?
I only support the government coming into our lives if it is beneficial to the majority of the population. To me, smoking out in public, and literally forcing it on everyone is criminal. I will expand on that one. I like to drink alcohol. However, I only affect myself with it. Smoking in public is no different than me going and getting shi%tfaced drunk, and getting behind the wheel. Same difference....
 
Old 07-29-2009, 05:19 PM
 
10,485 posts, read 22,566,833 times
Reputation: 6611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I was wondering how long it would take for the "kid" card to be pulled out!

First off - not everyone has kids around them - so that "argument" is, for all purposes, a Non Sequitur one.

The main issue here is your desire - your advocation of having the government control everyones lives.

Why do you want that?
To further add to this, it was the government who attacked drunk drivers and severely penalized drunk drivers because they were killing innocent people. Most, including me, would agree that this was a good thing. Now they need to do the same with smokers...
 
Old 07-29-2009, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,380,187 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
To further add to this, it was the government who attacked drunk drivers and severely penalized drunk drivers because they were killing innocent people. Most, including me, would agree that this was a good thing. Now they need to do the same with smokers...
My wife and child were killed by a drunk driver. I probably understand more about the issue than you do with all respect.

The difference is - if you get behind the wheel and drive drunk - you are putting potentially many people at risk.

On the other hand - if I'm in the woods - have a cigarette, or in my home or on my patio - the only one at risk is me.

If I want to go to a casino and drink and smoke while playing cards - and the property allows it - so be it.

The Government has in many locales tried to "outlaw" smoking in a lot of public areas - and guess what - it is practically unenforceable - as would outlawing smoking altogether be.
 
Old 07-29-2009, 05:30 PM
 
3,287 posts, read 4,942,139 times
Reputation: 6046
Without even reading all three pages of the thread I want to say an emphatic YES. And I am a smoker. Big time. Tried to quit so many times. I hate it but I just can't quit as long as I know I can go buy some. I would love it if they were outlawed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top