U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 10:17 PM

15,731 posts, read 22,803,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I used to say that cigarettes should be banned in all public places, but now I say they should be banned completely. I was watching a show called "The Dr's" today, and they were talking about "third hand smoke." I never heard of this term before today. It seems that even people that smoke outside, and away from us are making all of us sick. Here are some links on this....

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/03/he...h/03smoke.html

Is Third-Hand Smoke A Hazard? : NPR

'3rd-hand smoke' poses risk to infants, doctors say

I say enough is enough already. I remember having friends who were so addicted to cigarettes, they would literally beg to smoke in my car like they would die if they did not have one. I remember going to nightclubs and bars and coming home smelling like smoke and being sick from it. I remember my eyes burning. Sorry for the ranting and all, but what are everyone else's opinion on this issue?

Banning them is fine, after I quit.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:35 PM

16,498 posts, read 20,049,343 times
Default No consideration for Roll-Your-Own smokers

I don't smoke the dangerous cigarettes you buy in a store. Stopped that long ago. I roll my own with chemical free Indian tobacco. There are safer ways to smoke! This is not being taken into consideration by the anti-smoking zealots.

It's unfortunate that the vast majority of Americans are so unaware of the ill effects of noise, which I rate more dangerous than second-hand smoke. How many anti-smoking zealots will be at an intersection somewhere, with a loud-thumping boom car next to them sending their blood pressure rate to a near heart attack level, yet their eyes are focused on the driver smoking a cigarette?

Old 07-29-2009, 10:38 PM

3,225 posts, read 6,130,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I used to say that cigarettes should be banned in all public places, but now I say they should be banned completely. I was watching a show called "The Dr's" today, and they were talking about "third hand smoke." I never heard of this term before today. It seems that even people that smoke outside, and away from us are making all of us sick. Here are some links on this....

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/03/he...h/03smoke.html

Is Third-Hand Smoke A Hazard? : NPR

'3rd-hand smoke' poses risk to infants, doctors say

I say enough is enough already. I remember having friends who were so addicted to cigarettes, they would literally beg to smoke in my car like they would die if they did not have one. I remember going to nightclubs and bars and coming home smelling like smoke and being sick from it. I remember my eyes burning. Sorry for the ranting and all, but what are everyone else's opinion on this issue?
I say enough is enough with this nanny state. Ban cigarettes because they're bad-why stop there? Let's ban alcohol, fast food, tanning salons, high heel shoes. Look up the air pollution levels for your city-probably more dangerous inhaling that on a daily basis then that person who's standing outside smoking that you just might have to walk by.

Cigarette smoking should certainly not be encouraged and I think it should be allowed only in designated areas. No, I don't smoke.

Allowing the government to ban something that's 'bad' opens up a dangerous, slipperly slope.

What about people being held responsible for their choices?

Besides, even if cigarettes are illegal...people are still going to smoke. Prohibition? War on Drugs? Neither were very successful.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:44 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,264,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I don't smoke the dangerous cigarettes you buy in a store. Stopped that long ago. I roll my own with chemical free Indian tobacco. There are safer ways to smoke!
Before this thread veers too far off course, i'll preface the above statement by saying that there isn't a "safe" cigarette. I RYO myself, and it is far superior to the chemical-laden product that Big Tobacco sells. But, there still is potential risk involved with the usage of the product.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:52 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,212,822 times
If it is outlawed people will still smoke cigarettes. So why banned them?

Old 07-29-2009, 11:08 PM

16,498 posts, read 20,049,343 times
Default As We Come Racing Towards Extinction of the Human Race

you might know, at this stage of history, we'd all be stupidly looking at the leaves on the trees, and not the forest.

But someday the leaves will be gone, the forests will be gone, with one full swoop and let's hope the anti-smoking zealots will be left to inhale the smell of second hand smoke from the remnants of a nuclear holocaust.

Burning flesh? Burning Hair? Burning Office Buildings? Burning cars?

Cigarette smoke will be a breath of fresh air in comparison.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:18 PM

10,395 posts, read 10,009,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I don't smoke the dangerous cigarettes you buy in a store. Stopped that long ago. I roll my own with chemical free Indian tobacco. There are safer ways to smoke! This is not being taken into consideration by the anti-smoking zealots.

It's unfortunate that the vast majority of Americans are so unaware of the ill effects of noise, which I rate more dangerous than second-hand smoke. How many anti-smoking zealots will be at an intersection somewhere, with a loud-thumping boom car next to them sending their blood pressure rate to a near heart attack level, yet their eyes are focused on the driver smoking a cigarette?
Good point. That thumping crap is worse for my health than any whiff of second-hand smoke... not to mention the second-hand radiation I get every time some inconsiderate blab-addicted person 'lights up' their cell phone next to me. I am then exposed to the radiation that they are obviously willing to chance for themselves and, clearly, could care less about me or any others nearby.

No... I don't smoke. I don't like the smell of tobacco smoke at all. But I'll tell you, as long as someone isn't blowing it in my face, I will respect his/her right to smoke. Because, you see, I understand that my way of doing things and my personal views of the world are my own and may not be shared by others and CERTAINLY should not be forced onto others. I’ll do my thing, you do yours. Remember freedom?

Old 07-29-2009, 11:26 PM

8,882 posts, read 13,863,945 times
The new fire-safe cigarettes are, supposedly, even more harmful than the others.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/rep...cigarette-laws

Old 07-30-2009, 12:54 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,653,762 times
So, if you have a broken tail light on your car, you want to stand on the shoulder ffor an hour and wait while the police pry all the paneling off your doors and bring in cigar-sniffing (and poker playing) dogs to look for hidden cigarettes?

How many years in prison for possessing personal-use quantities of Prince Albert in a can?

Last edited by jtur88; 07-30-2009 at 01:09 AM..

Old 07-30-2009, 12:56 AM

549 posts, read 516,583 times
I am not a smoker and think it should be banned in public places but to have an outright ban everywhere is placing the Federal government where it does not belong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or