Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 12:47 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,665,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Actually, Nicotine isn't going to kill them. Do you have any idea how many cigarettes you'd have to smoke to die from nicotine overdose? You'd die from smoke inhalation first.

Smoke is whats so bad from tobacco, and that wouldn't be as bad if tobacco companies didn't put the crap in it to addict you worse. Countless American Indian civilizations used and enjoyed natural tobacco for Millenia, with very little in the way of side effects.
I know that almost all the ill effects are from burning tobacco and paper. Nicotine is in itself not entirely bad if used in low doses. But with that said, it is a toxic poison and a drop of it can kill a man. Thats about ~60Mg at one time, or like 30 smoked cigs all at once.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:02 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
I know that almost all the ill effects are from burning tobacco and paper. Nicotine is in itself not entirely bad if used in low doses. But with that said, it is a toxic poison and a drop of it can kill a man. Thats about ~60Mg at one time, or like 30 smoked cigs all at once.
To much water is toxic and can kill you to, so whats your point?

I'm not talking about drowning, I'm talking about water poisoning, it does happen.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:14 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,259 times
Quote:
Actually, Nicotine isn't going to kill them. Do you have any idea how many cigarettes you'd have to smoke to die from nicotine overdose? You'd die from smoke inhalation first.

Smoke is whats so bad from tobacco, and that wouldn't be as bad if tobacco companies didn't put the crap in it to addict you worse. Countless American Indian civilizations used and enjoyed natural tobacco for Millenia, with very little in the way of side effects.

I smoke a natural blend manufactured by the local 1st Nations people, and it is deviod of all that crap.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Caffiene in high doses can kill a person too.

And do you REALLY think it is reasonable to think someone can smoke "like" 30 cigarettes at once?

Old 08-27-2009, 02:17 PM
ttz

Quote:
To much water is toxic and can kill you to, so whats your point?

I'm not talking about drowning, I'm talking about water poisoning, it does happen.
Tit for Tat, I am arguing with someone about Nicotine poisoning compared to water poisoning. I need to find a wall so I can go bang my head on it.

How much water would it take for it to be bad?

Lets see 1 drop of Nicotine vs _____ galons of water. And water is essential to human life, can't really say that for Nicotine. (Unless you are a hopeless addict)

Old 08-27-2009, 02:22 PM
ttz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Caffiene in high doses can kill a person too.

And do you REALLY think it is reasonable to think someone can smoke "like" 30 cigarettes at once?
How many drops of Caffeine will kill you? It is laughable what you addicts will do to justify your addictions.

So because everything in life if done in excess is bad, we should inhale toxic tobacco smoke laced with a drug shortening our life expectancy--and be OK with that!!

Where is that wall? I need to put my forehead imprint on it.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:34 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Tit for Tat, I am arguing with someone about Nicotine poisoning compared to water poisoning. I need to find a wall so I can go bang my head on it.

How much water would it take for it to be bad?

Lets see 1 drop of Nicotine vs _____ galons of water. And water is essential to human life, can't really say that for Nicotine. (Unless you are a hopeless addict)
In the case of adult smokers, it would take at least 60 milligrams of nicotine to make one ill. This is the equivalent to 3 packs of cigarettes or half a cigar. The risk of nicotine poisoning is not just limited to smokers and their housemates. Tobacco leaf gatherers are also vulnerable. This occurs when moisture from tobacco leaves wet from the rain or morning dew are absorbed by the gatherers clothing, which, in turn, is ingested thru skin contact.

30 cigarettes would just make an adult ill. I don't even know anyone who could smoke 30 cigarettes without puking, and I know a lot of life long 2 pack a day people. Hell, my mom went through 3 packs in a day sometimes, and she was fine.

Nicotine from cigarettes doesn't kill people, thats what you wrote earlier, I'm only refuting that. If you want to talk about cancer causing smoke and inhalants, thats a different story.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
How many drops of Caffeine will kill you? It is laughable what you addicts will do to justify your addictions.

So because everything in life if done in excess is bad, we should inhale toxic tobacco smoke laced with a drug shortening our life expectancy--and be OK with that!!

Where is that wall? I need to put my forehead imprint on it.
Ad hominems, the last resort of people who don't have a leg to stand on.

How much nicotene do you think is in the average cigarette?

There are an estimated 64 millions smokers in the US. Keep in mind that there are closet smokers as well, so one can safetly assume that number to be higher.

Estimates range widely as to how many are actually killed by cigarette smoking. When one attempts to remove such concerns as lack of environmental investigations and artificailly inflated statistics, one can readily see that, by far, the vast majority of smokers DO NOT DIE from smoking or smoking related illnesses.

Even the Surgeon General rather vaguely admits that only 1/3rd of cancer deaths are "related" to smoking. Rounding the number of deaths by cancer up to 500,000, mind explaining how cigarettes have killed some 340,000 people?

CAN smoking be dangerouse? Certainly, but so is eating too much butter on your food for too long.

Should smoking be outlawed in public places becasue some peopel are offended? No rights or guarentees anywhere in our laws stating you ahve a right NOT to be offended. And conisdering the complete lack of clinical proof that second hand smoke harms people, YOU have nothing.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:09 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,993,794 times
Thumbs up The American People Can Take Care Of This!!!

Most of the American People realize the negative health related consequences
involved with the use and abuse of tobacco products.

It would be most unwise indeed in todays political climate to insist upon government intervention to resolve this serious health related matter !

We must remember that our laws allow use or deny usage of tobacco products
per certain legal and non-legal age groups..... "Like it or not... "It's the Law" !

In my humble opinion the most dynamic solution to the tobacco debacle in the U.S. is simply this : Apply the "Will & Resolve of the American People" to this major health crisis ! Yes... "The American People Themselves' can decide to minimize and finally eliminate the scourge of tobacco abuse without any governmental interference !

The dynamic history of America's twentieth century has profoundly
recorded unequalled & unparalled results regarding the "Resolve of America's Citizens.

Effectively Organize the American People,... Harness their Unprecedented Energy and Resolve... Skillfully Unleash That Formidable
and All Powerful Weapon Upon Any Defined Problem such as Tobacco... And Complete Victory Is assured ..... Tobacco will without doubt become the "Vanquished"!!!

I will confidently state that the vast majority of the American Population are aware that 400,000 Americans Die Each Year From Tobacco Related Diseases..... Thats roughly 1,200 people of all ages each day !

It is also a consensus of many Americans that the choice to use any Tobacco products is ... Just That... "A Conscious Choice By The Individual"... and in most cases the person can use effective refusal skills to resist offers of tobacco. Also it is idiotic to believe that most Americans
are "Too Weak Willed" or Have Reduced Inhibitions to the absurd degree
of not being strong enough to resist offers of tobacco products or to not just start of their own accord!

The American People can effectively resolve this insidious health related crisis !!! I restate : It is a conscious choice for the vast majority of those whom use tobacco ! The Law's say you may use at a certain age... but that does not mean you have to use... It means you may if you so desire... It's a choice!!! And I will never believe that the American People cannot resolve this on their own... and without the interference of the Washington Political Crowd... Indeed Not! Thank You L. F.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
Most of the American People realize the negative health related consequences
involved with the use and abuse of tobacco products.

It would be most unwise indeed in todays political climate to insist upon government intervention to resolve this serious health related matter !

We must remember that our laws allow use or deny usage of tobacco products
per certain legal and non-legal age groups..... "Like it or not... "It's the Law" !

In my humble opinion the most dynamic solution to the tobacco debacle in the U.S. is simply this : Apply the "Will & Resolve of the American People" to this major health crisis ! Yes... "The American People Themselves' can decide to minimize and finally eliminate the scourge of tobacco abuse without any governmental interference !

The dynamic history of America's twentieth century has profoundly
recorded unequalled & unparalled results regarding the "Resolve of America's Citizens.

Effectively Organize the American People,... Harness their Unprecedented Energy and Resolve... Skillfully Unleash That Formidable
and All Powerful Weapon Upon Any Defined Problem such as Tobacco... And Complete Victory Is assured ..... Tobacco will without doubt become the "Vanquished"!!!

I will confidently state that the vast majority of the American Population are aware that 400,000 Americans Die Each Year From Tobacco Related Diseases..... Thats roughly 1,200 people of all ages each day !

It is also a consensus of many Americans that the choice to use any Tobacco products is ... Just That... "A Conscious Choice By The Individual"... and in most cases the person can use effective refusal skills to resist offers of tobacco. Also it is idiotic to believe that most Americans
are "Too Weak Willed" or Have Reduced Inhibitions to the absurd degree
of not being strong enough to resist offers of tobacco products or to not just start of their own accord!

The American People can effectively resolve this insidious health related crisis !!! I restate : It is a conscious choice for the vast majority of those whom use tobacco ! The Law's say you may use at a certain age... but that does not mean you have to use... It means you may if you so desire... It's a choice!!! And I will never believe that the American People cannot resolve this on their own... and without the interference of the Washington Political Crowd... Indeed Not! Thank You L. F.
Leave it up to the democratic process?

YES PLEASE!

PRINCETON, NJ -- By 52% to 46%, more Americans disapprove than approve of the new law expanding the federal government's power to regulate the manufacturing and marketing of tobacco products. Opposition is especially strong among smokers.

Majority Disapproves of New Law Regulating Tobacco

The War on Smoking isn't driven by the majority of Americans, it is driven by small special interest groups like much of the politics in this nation, and politicians who pretend to care about our health, especially around election time. Other polls support this, including zogby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates