U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2009, 08:56 PM

742 posts, read 1,048,504 times

Advertisements

It doesn't matter how much you obfuscate the issue, as long as you force others to deal with your smoke people will complain.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:00 AM

4,529 posts, read 4,738,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
It doesn't matter how much you obfuscate the issue, as long as you force others to deal with your smoke people will complain.
People will always find something to complain about.

Until such time as peer reviewed clinical research is conducted proving some hazard in second hand smoke, that's all you people are doing...

Complaining.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:02 PM

742 posts, read 1,048,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
People will always find something to complain about.

Until such time as peer reviewed clinical research is conducted proving some hazard in second hand smoke, that's all you people are doing...

Complaining.
as i and others have stated, smoking forces nonsmokers to deal with smoke, and whatever health issues it may or may not create, its a disgusting and rude imposition. thankfully most states have seen the wisdom of banning it in most public places, and i look forward to the day when it is even further restricted.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:19 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,209,997 times
I am a cardiac nurse and out of all the people that I see everyday that have to have open heart surgery, 90% are smokers. Some are even told that they must stop smoking after the bypass and they still smoke! We see the same ones over and over again. I am starting not to feel sorry for them because they are doing this to themselves. They can quit....many do and live normal lives after bypass but then there are the stubborn ones who just won't quit. It used to be that you would see 70-80 year-olds going under the knife, now we are seeing 40 year-olds who have a combination of bad diet and smoking, getting bypasses. It's sad.

As far as third hand smoke goes, we are seeing more and more studies on it everyday. I believe we should ban cigarettes all together in this country. No good has EVER come from a cigarette.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
as i and others have stated, smoking forces nonsmokers to deal with smoke, and whatever health issues it may or may not create, its a disgusting and rude imposition. thankfully most states have seen the wisdom of banning it in most public places, and i look forward to the day when it is even further restricted.
As I and others have said, perfume and body oders are just as disgusting to us as smoke is to you, and AREN'T banned, or even ADDRESSED, in public places.

Difference is, the anti-smokers claim there is some inherent danger in smoke, and cannot provide proof for this statement.

And please, if you think politicians have outlawed smoking in "public places" (AND privately owned property) for your health, got news fer ya.

They only pretend to care about your health around election time, and you anti-smokers cannot see the further imposition of intrusive laws and removal of basic rights becasue it furthers your agenda.

Look up the story about the frog and the pot of water.

The current War on Smokers, like much of politics today, is driven by small special interest groups, not a Majority of We the People.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMtnsOnTheMind View Post
I am a cardiac nurse and out of all the people that I see everyday that have to have open heart surgery, 90% are smokers. Some are even told that they must stop smoking after the bypass and they still smoke! We see the same ones over and over again. I am starting not to feel sorry for them because they are doing this to themselves. They can quit....many do and live normal lives after bypass but then there are the stubborn ones who just won't quit. It used to be that you would see 70-80 year-olds going under the knife, now we are seeing 40 year-olds who have a combination of bad diet and smoking, getting bypasses. It's sad.

As far as third hand smoke goes, we are seeing more and more studies on it everyday. I believe we should ban cigarettes all together in this country. No good has EVER come from a cigarette.
I highlighted the important part above in red.

"They are getting bypasses because they smoke".

People concentrate so heavily on the War on Smokers that they cannot see the obvious. Bad Diet caused these people's health problems, not smoking.

Some miner gets black lungs and dies coughing up pieces of his lungs. But he smoked, therefor smoking killed him.

Some worker in a steel mill breathing in heavy metals all his life croaks. But he smoked, therefor smoking killed him.

Some janitor in a carberundum factory takes a dirt nap. But he smoked, therefor smoking killed him.

Some X-ray tech who didn't observe proper safety procedures dies of leukemia. But he smoked, therefor smoking killed him.

The numbers of smokers last year was down by 1%, but the incidences of cancer were up by 2% according to an AP article I can look up if desired. But this plain fact was lost in the War on Smokers. Environmental factors are never considered if a cig butt is found, and this example of the Politics of Hysteria will prove to be the doom of many people, non-smokers and smokers alike, as environmentally caused cancers run rampant below the public radar.

BTW, as a health professional, perhaps you can point us to peer reviewed clinical testing that proves second hand, and third hand, smoking is hazerdous? And please, mere statements by the USSG's office and the CDC are mere opinions, not something arrived at by scientific testings.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:01 PM

3,194 posts, read 2,864,220 times
Well, I'd say we've covered all bases in this debate. And, since some of the conversation has broken down into less tangible bickering, I think it's time to close this one up. Thanks for participating. Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or