Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 07:02 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A hundred dollars was a lot of money once. But it isn't any more. Is it time for the US government to bring back the $500 bill?

Should there be a single bill large enough to pay for a cart loosely full of groceries, or a SUV tank full of unleaded, or two grandstand tickets to a Red Sox game, or enough stamps to mail 250 Christmas cards??

Yes, I understand why it was abolished. With larger bills, it would have been impossible to achieve our gloriously and spectacularly successful victory in the war on drugs.
Never happen. The gubmint does not want us to use real money. They want us to electronify everything so that they have the ultimate CONTROL of it all, silly. If we have money, we can HIDE it, we can SPEND it on things and they cannot keep track of what we are spending it on (ammo, guns, chemicals, pharmeceuticals, etc.,) Eventually, there will be no more money at all - just cards that you swipe. The debit card is just the beginning. Eventually the electronic world will have control of everything. All for our own GOOD AND SAFETY of course.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 08:34 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Cash is for $1 and $5 dollar purchases.
Oh? What would you use to pay for something of moderate value, such as a vehicle, if you were to purchase it from an individual?

Old 08-02-2009, 08:36 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
20yrsinBranson
When are you up for parole?

Old 08-02-2009, 08:47 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
When are you up for parole?
I'm doin life with no parole, but I do get the occasional furlough to the beach for good behavior! LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-03-2009, 12:25 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Should you be able to get $100's at the ATM? Just asking. I know there used to be a time where you could get money from an ATM in increments OTHER than $20. Pretty sure they had both $20's and $5's loaded at one point. Now, it's all $20's.

The only thing I could use one for is rent. Otherwise, it's just another large bill no one wants to break. Hard enough to get them to break a $100 now.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:28 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmahorn View Post
A better question would be "Do we need physical notes at all?".
Yes. Cash never bounces. If the computers are down, so is the business--unless they also accept cash or checks. Taxis and bars are often run basically on a cash only basis.

Do you realize that the credit card companies charge businesses money for them to accept cards? They should be paying these companies EXTRA for accepting their credit card.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:41 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Should you be able to get $100's at the ATM? Just asking. I know there used to be a time where you could get money from an ATM in increments OTHER than $20. Pretty sure they had both $20's and $5's loaded at one point. Now, it's all $20's.

The only thing I could use one for is rent. Otherwise, it's just another large bill no one wants to break. Hard enough to get them to break a $100 now.
as a side note, a few BofA ATMs I've been to do give you the option of getting $10 bills. I've mainly seen them in downtown Chicago and a few larger branches

Old 08-03-2009, 01:52 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
Quote:
Never happen. The gubmint does not want us to use real money. They want us to electronify everything so that they have the ultimate CONTROL of it all, silly. If we have money, we can HIDE it, we can SPEND it on things and they cannot keep track of what we are spending it on (ammo, guns, chemicals, pharmeceuticals, etc.,) Eventually, there will be no more money at all - just cards that you swipe. The debit card is just the beginning. Eventually the electronic world will have control of everything. All for our own GOOD AND SAFETY of course.

20yrsinBranson
I agree. I think the move from real money to electronic happening now is like what happened when we went from real silver coins and silver certficates to notes backed by nothing. Very subtle but powerful shift.

And of course no one notices.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:36 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,287 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson
I agree. I sure don't trust the government one bit. They want to know everything that is going on. They hate cash because private transactions can not be tracked. They probably also lose a lot of tax money on private transactions such as paying a friend in the business cash to do some work on your house or bartering for services. These type of transactions are taxable, but who reports those. I have a couple of friends who work in construction who do a lot of 'side jobs' for cash and give discounts for cash with no receipts.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:34 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

Do you realize that the credit card companies charge businesses money for them to accept cards? They should be paying these companies EXTRA for accepting their credit card.
And some retail stores (Dollar General, for example) refuse to accept some cards because of the high fees. You can never buy a gold coin with a credit card, becaue the buy-sell spread is too thin to absorb the card fee. But, of course, the national treasury is not very interested in protecting your right to buy gold coins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates