Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 09:41 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times

Advertisements

I just want to know. If somebody breaks in to somebody's house and that person is a kid. Then why do you have to kill him? What happened with shooting somebody in the knee? Do it twice even, so he can't walk. Why kill him? I could never do that. But thats just me I guess.
The only time I would kill somebody is if that person at a weapon and tried to kill me or my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 09:47 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I just want to know. If somebody breaks in to somebody's house and that person is a kid. Then why do you have to kill him? What happened with shooting somebody in the knee? Why kill him? I could never do that. The only time I would kill somebody is if that person tried to kill me or my family.
First off this kid was 18 years of age, not a kid legally an adult. Secondly even the most accomplished marksmen will tell you that a knee shot or a shoulder shot is extremely hard to make unless you are in fact a very experienced marksman. When you learn how to shoot, they tell you to aim for the main part of the torsoe, its that simple.

This kid as you call him could have easily been carrying a knife or picked one up in the house and we have ended up with a dead Father, Mother and two small children.

Common sense should tell you that if a person breaks into your house and you have made them aware you are there with a gun, they do intend you harm. This young man kept coming regardless of the burglar alarm going off, reglardless of being in an actual struggle with the man of the house. In fact the man of the house couldn't know for a fact that there was only ONE intruder. Home invasions are often more then one person.

If your going to protect your family, you need to understand, these people don't walk through your door and calmly tell you they are going to kill you and your family. Breaking into your house, in spite of a burglar alarm which was no doubt advertised on the house or in the yard as most are, should be more then enough to let you know their intent.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:58 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
First off this kid was 18 years of age, not a kid legally an adult. Secondly even the most accomplished marksmen will tell you that a knee shot or a shoulder shot is extremely hard to make unless you are in fact a very experienced marksman. When you learn how to shoot, they tell you to aim for the main part of the torsoe, its that simple.

This kid as you call him could have easily been carrying a knife or picked one up in the house and we have ended up with a dead Father, Mother and two small children.

Common sense should tell you that if a person breaks into your house and you have made them aware you are there with a gun, they do intend you harm. This young man kept coming regardless of the burglar alarm going off, reglardless of being in an actual struggle with the man of the house. In fact the man of the house couldn't know for a fact that there was only ONE intruder. Home invasions are often more then one person.

If your going to protect your family, you need to understand, these people don't walk through your door and calmly tell you they are going to kill you and your family. Breaking into your house, in spite of a burglar alarm which was no doubt advertised on the house or in the yard as most are, should be more then enough to let you know their intent.
On target and +1 to you. It's hard enough to think center of mass and deliberate shots intended to wound are ill advised even for an experienced shooter. The homeowner, in this case, was under an extreme amount of stress. His sole reason for being during all this was to STOP the attack. As it would be for anyone. Reality ain't Hollywood, nobody keeps their total cool in a violent encounter the way it happens in the movies. It just don't happen. What needed to be done was done in this case, sad as that may be, it's the brutal truth.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:07 PM

AND no one has the time to ask a burglar (would be rapist, murder) for their ID to confirm their age, or do a sobriety check just in case its not their fault because they are on drugs or drinking either.

If YOU are the one breaking into a person's home, you are taking your life in your hands. Surely there isn't anyone out there stupid enough to NOT realize that !!

I would HATE to have to shoot someone but not near as much as I would hate to hesitate and leave my daughter with no Mother to raise her OR get us both raped or whatever else the person breaking into our house has in mind.

I sleep with a loaded .38 on my bedside table every night. So far I haven't had to use it but its there just in cases I do. My alarm system has a panel in my bedroom as well as the front door, it tells me at what point there has been a breach, so I know where too look.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:26 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
AND no one has the time to ask a burglar (would be rapist, murder) for their ID to confirm their age, or do a sobriety check just in case its not their fault because they are on drugs or drinking either.

If YOU are the one breaking into a person's home, you are taking your life in your hands. Surely there isn't anyone out there stupid enough to NOT realize that !!

I would HATE to have to shoot someone but not near as much as I would hate to hesitate and leave my daughter with no Mother to raise her OR get us both raped or whatever else the person breaking into our house has in mind.

I sleep with a loaded .38 on my bedside table every night. So far I haven't had to use it but its there just in cases I do. My alarm system has a panel in my bedroom as well as the front door, it tells me at what point there has been a breach, so I know where too look.

Im sorry you live in such fear for your life. I would have a loaded gun next to me too if I were you.
Just remember not to have your loaded gun in arms reach of small children because thats my biggest concern if you really want to know. If my 3 year old found a loaded gun that I stored in an area he could get to, like a night stand, and that gun went off and killed him, I would probably kill myself too. Could not live with myslef.
I have never been close to any danger in my life so maybe thats why I am the way I am.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Im sorry you live in such fear for your life. I would have a loaded gun next to me too if I were you.
Just remember not to have your loaded gun in arms reach of small children because thats my biggest concern if you really want to know. If my 3 year old found a loaded gun that I stored in an area he could get to, like a night stand, and that gun went off and killed him, I would probably kill myself too. Could not live with myslef.
I have never been close to any danger in my life so maybe thats why I am the way I am.
I don't live in fear for my life but I do have common sense.

I also don't have a 3 year old. My daughter is 12 and while we have discussed the gun and she has an idea of what it is capable of, the gun has a trigger lock on it when I am not at home and its put away in the drawer, at that point all you can do is throw it at someone.

How are you going to feel if someone breaks into your home and does something to you or your child and you could have stopped it if you were armed?? You can't seriously think things like this don't happen in Memphis.

I am not paranoid but I do believe in taking reasonable caution. I have a security system that is WELL advertised by the sign in the front yard and stickers on the windows and sliding doors, if you take the time to examine the windows you can SEE the sensors on them. Hopefully for most people out to do some breaking and entering that will be enough but should someone be so desperate that they will ignore that, I can defend my daughter's life and my own.

I grew up knowing my Father had a gun in the bedside table, it was no big deal to me, I never touched his gun until I was 30 and staying at my parents house when they went out of town. He showed me how to load and unload it.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:32 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
I just want to know. If somebody breaks in to somebody's house and that person is a kid. Then why do you have to kill him? What happened with shooting somebody in the knee? Do it twice even, so he can't walk. Why kill him? I could never do that. But thats just me I guess.
The only time I would kill somebody is if that person at a weapon and tried to kill me or my family.

You cant be serious. If he shot him in the knee he would lose everything, you are advocating crippling someone?

Also, if a cop points a gun at you & you attack he will shoot, why should Joe citizen be different? Its logical to assume that a person advancing into a guns muzzle wants to kill or do great bodily harm to you.
My children started shooting around 5 years of age, my guns are locked up except for the one I carry, but now, at the ages of 11 & 13 I have zero concern that they would play with or misuse them. My family's saftey is worth enough to me that I have taken every step I feel prudent to guarentee their saftey. Ignoring the possibility of a home intruder doesn't strike me as being responsible.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:50 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,840 times
Quote:
Police charge suspect in Antonio Burks robbery, shooting case
Two plead guilty to firebomb attack on homeless in Bartlett

Just two of the headlines from the Commercial Appeal (Memphis' largest newspaper). I also follow the Olive Branch PD on Facebook so I can get updates on what has been going on down here in the suburbs. Robberies, break-ins and car jacking are becoming more common. While Memphis may be the 2nd most dangerous city in the US (they are working hard to get back to #1) if you avoid some neighborhoods, your chances of being involved in a violent crime drop dramatically but not to zero. There is no part of this area that is immune to crime.

Am I paranoid that someone is after me? No. I know that someone is looking for an opportunity to commit a crime and I do my best to make it difficult for them. Right after moving into my house in 2002, someone removed a couple of screens on my windows looking for an unlocked one. All of my windows are locked and on an instant alarm trigger. Try to get past those and you have glass breakage sensors and motion detectors. A keypad in the bedroom has a digital display to tell me which sensor was tripped.

When I'm out you won't find me talking on the phone or texting someone when walking through a parking lot. I am looking at every person that is between me and the car and doing a quick threat assessment in my head. If it is at night, the car is parked in a well lit area in full view of any security cameras that may be available. It only takes a few seconds and it lessens the chance of me walking into a dangerous situation.

I am licensed to carry a concealed weapon. My wife's license should be mailed to her in about two weeks. There's a pistol in my nightstand. I need to put a shotgun in the bedroom closet. Lately there have been break-ins where the perps ring the doorbell. If you answer, they will ask for someone that doesn't live there and move on. Don't answer and your home is now a target. I work from home but I can't hear the doorbell. I can hear the alarm ding when a sensor is triggered. My office is also where the rest of my weapons are stored. My guns are my last line of defense.

We have no kids so I don't have any qualms about the number of unsecured guns around the house. When we have kids visit, all of the guns are collected and secured as any responsible adult needs to do.

-Robert

Old 08-03-2009, 07:54 AM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
That's the stuff of Hollywood, not real life.

There's a reason that the use of a firearm is called "deadly force." If you're pulling the trigger, you're already committed to ending a life to save yours, or a loved one's. Aiming for the knee, or leg, or whatever appendage of an agitated person bent on doing you harm is a death sentence. More often than not, you'll miss, and they'll be that much more agitated after you took a shot at them.

You aim for center mass. It's the largest target, and the most effective at stopping an attack. Once they're down and you're certain that they're no longer a threat, you can (and should) do whatever you can to keep them alive until the police/ambulance arrive, but trying to hit a three or four inch diameter moving target when you're both pumped full of adrenaline is basically asking for the Bad Guy to kill you.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Aim for center of mass and fire untill assailant stops. End of assault and beginning of problems. personal problems include recovering from the rush and guilt associated with killing a person. We are trained to be guilty about harming prople. A lot of military training is specifically designed to desensitized people so they will shoot without guilt.

I am sympathetic to all the people involved, including the robber and his family, because killing people is no joke. A lot more damage than one death is done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates