Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 01:23 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, it does not. When you rig your bow with sights, stabilizers, clickers, plungers, etc., and then shoot it with a mechanical release, it's too much cheating. Real archery consists of shooting a stick (or laminated sticks) and string, with your fingers. All the other stuff people use to make archery easier takes the sport out of it. Does it really take any talent whatsoever to hit the gold with a fully loaded compound at 30 meters? Is there really any sport in simply lining up sights, then pulling the trigger on the release? Traditional archery is a real sport, because you're required to do quite a bit with very little. These modern bows that practically shoot themselves take too much out of it, and hence any sort of sport out of the activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 09:10 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Default Prefer long bows and recurves in Olympics

Agree about the tech bows in the Olympics. Guess you could look at it as the apex of human control over technology or the partnership of technology and human variability.

In the tradition of Olympic games the emphasis has been on human ability to extend the spectrum of human accomplishments. It is not a surprise that advancing technology creeps into every aspect of our lives.

Even todays recurves and some long bows have evolved to include modern technology.

At this time I would love to see only recurves and longbows in the Olympics. What would really turn me on as an event would be the incorporate archery in a biathalon like event. Ski or run and shoot.

I shoot, 'in a bow', with a recurve and enjoy pure archery and also employ my archery gear to "bowhunt".

Not knocking compounds but they are not for me. Compounds should have their own venue to trumpet technology and skills. Someday compounds will seem comparable to a javelin in terms of simplicity and be a shoe-in to appear in Olympic games.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:01 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,831,271 times
When I was a kid in the 50's, I learned archery at Boy Scout camp by what was know as the "Intuitive Method".
Part of the training was hitting the target with eyes closed.
Years later I found out that what we was doing was known as "Zen Archery".

When compound bows came on the scene, I thought they were interesting machines, but I had no interest in using one as it just didn't seem to fit with my shooting system and philosophy that the archer and bow should become one.

I had to give up archery years ago because of a shoulder injury, But I still love the look and feel of a recurve bow.
I still think compound bows, regardless of how sophisticated or high-tech they are, look like they should be mounted on the garage ceiling to hoist up heavy loads.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:32 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Now THIS is a debate I can relate to.

Yes, it is. And so are crossbows. Anything that uses a string to propel an arrow is archery.

Just like anthing that uses explosive powder to propel a projectile down a barrel is a firearm.

But like firearms, there are different subclasses. Some people like to shoot flintlock muskets and some like to shoot .50 machine guns (the really lucky people anyway). Pick your pleasure and rest easy in the knowledge that you are a TRUE archer. Don't worry about the guy making fun of you for not shooting a hand carved sinew backed bow or a authentic yew longbow. He's a jerk anyway.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:35 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I still think compound bows, regardless of how sophisticated or high-tech they are, look like they should be mounted on the garage ceiling to hoist up heavy loads.
You made my afternoon.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:19 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,159 times
As far as the olympics go, I guess if it mets the rules it qualifies...............

Old 08-01-2009, 09:18 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
I can way relate to this debate. In the shooting competitions my son and I compete in, there are different classes for different guns. Heavily modified 'race guns' cannot compete in certain classes. Those of us who choose to can bump up and compete in the Unlimited class with less techy guns, but not the other way around. The same could be applied to archery. I think it does, actually. There are different classes for different equipment in the Olympic archery and shooting competition , both. I prefer to compete with more traditional equipment, personally. Doing so is a better test of your true skill. Optics, counterweights, compensators etc,just make the equipment look more at home assaulting the Death Star than on a true competition course. As to the Olympics, I do believe that equipment should be more traditional, to keep to the true spirit of the games, which is individual skill, and not how much money can be spent on the athletes equipment. Personally, I take great pleasure in beating guys with tricked out gear with my simple and often home made equipment.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:30 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Altho I favored shooting a recurve most of my years ;I do think the compounds and accesories such as sights are achery . But just as many thionk that any thiong but a traditional long bow and wooden srrows are the only way ;opnions vary. I fact it was compaunds that actually made the modern recurve and long bow industry in the country stay alive . Most people do not start out with a recuve or long bow bascailly because a good one cost so much really. The average quailty recurve will cost you in the $700.00 dollar range now days.Recurves and long bows now are very technaclly advanced also in materials especailly.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Does automobile racing in cars with electric starters and radial ply tires qualify as true auto racing?

Old 08-01-2009, 05:22 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,414,674 times
If your flinging arrows off a string impelled by stored energy in bent limbs I think its archery. Never had much use for snobbery.

If you enjoy bowhunting with any bow I think you owe a debt of gratitude to the compound.
Is it easier? Yep. But how is it bad to get a better chance of a clean kill. We owe the animal we are hunting that much at least.
When I was a kid very few people nearby bowhunted. Those who did used recurves & had a bad rep for wounding deer. Things happen but bowhunting seemed viewed as a crude thing & sure didn't have the widespread acceptance as an effective, humane method of taking game that it enjoys today, a direct result of modern gear.

But, even though you can hit a ping pong ball every time at 25 yards at home, the woods arent home. Theres still a million things to go wrong & they will.

Its all archery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates