Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 12:26 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What if the guy had embezzled 100K from the bank, and gave it to his favorite charity? And the bank fired him for doing what he thought was a good thing, even though it was against bank policy, which is a condition of employment.

The thing I find interesting, though, is that money stolen from a bank is insured, and the insurer pays the claim. In spite of the fact that the bank has a policy of doing absolutely nothing to protect the asset against the casualty of theft. If I did absolutely nothing to prevent my car from being stolen, and my insurance company could prove that, do you think they would cover my loss?
The insurance company would probably rather pay for some small amount of stolen cash than medical\disability\death benefits when the cornered robber decidees to open fire.

I would think most banks have a deductible on thier policies that exceeds typical thefts like this (10k or less?) and is actually on the hook for the loss. Again, the bank would rather lose 10k than have employees and customers hurt\killed which could cost them millions.

The banks do have policies of protecting assets, which involve security, dye packs, cameras etc. they just don't want the guy busted in the bank in a hail of bullets but rather 15 miles outside of town at a road block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 05:18 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I think our society enjoys victimhood. I wouldn't be surprised if some organization sues the bank teller for violating the thief's right to victimize others.

If I owned the bank, I'd immediately make the guy an exec. His action shows he has some b**ls and that he actually cares about the company.

In reality, I suppose if the teller had cowered in the corner and cried out for his mommy, he would have been heralded as a hero. Or, if he would have gone out of his way to treat the criminal with the utmost respect and do all in his power to accommodate the criminal, he'd probably now be the bank president.
I agree with you on this Chris. I would give the bank teller a bonus and promote him to the executive ranks. He's probably more qualified than those sitting at the board table.

It is sad that we as a society have degraded to this position. We are expected to hide behind policies and procedures that were developed for our benefit. When did we become such a bunch of panzies that we can't think for ourselves. I would have no problem if they gave the tellers guns and told them to shoot the bank robber dead as he was fleeing the bank. You stop bad behavior by raising the costs of it to unacceptably high levels.

Firing a bank teller for apprehending a criminal. I don't have the proper words to express my outrage at the stupidity of this! I would think the bank would have a PR nightmare on their hands with this situation.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:50 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,122 times
The Wild West no more.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:51 PM

25,704 posts, read 18,781,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
The Wild West no more.
Yes, actually they all should have sat down for cake and ice cream, just to make the thief feel welcome. You know, a little sending away party and to show appreciation. And perhaps give him a little money bag with the company logo on the side in hopes he would return sometime.

I'm of the opinion that when one takes something that is not their's, there should be some consequences. By all means, train the tellers and arm them. Bet there would be fewer morons going in there to make forced withdrawals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates