Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:03 PM

77,878 posts, read 60,016,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
There needs to be a clear line where utilization of resources and rape of resources is drawn. Thats hard to do with the oceans. We would need an entire Naval force unto itself to enforce such guidelines and too many countries would not get on board with such measures. I find it rather contradictory that the big Global warming hooey uses Kyoto as it's base. Lol, a city in a country that wholesale rapes the oceans is the namesake and founding ground of a treaty to protect the environment. Go figger.
Well, also consider that many signers of kyoto aren't actually following the treaty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 12:14 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,391,349 times
The minke whales the Japanese are hunting are not only not endangered, but almost overpopulated and out-competing slower breeding whales that are endangered. Estimates place the minke whale population at somewhere between 750,000 and over a million. Taking under 1,000 is quite sustainable and I have no problem with it. If the whales were endangered I'd have a very different opinion. The IWC cooperates with the Japanese in issuing the permits to take the whales; if they did not see their actions as legal they would not do so and would condemn the actions of the Japanese. The Norwegians and Icelanders hunt whales commercially (they lodged a protest against the ban on whaling), but watson avoids them. Interestingly, Japan also lodged a protest like Norway did, but the U.S. threatened and coerced them into withdrawing it. They have a right to take the whales if it is sustainable and it is currently.

The Sea Shepherds are terrorists and if they attacked me I'd shoot them. The Japanese have shown a lot of restraint; under international laws they could kill the sea shepherds because they fit the definition of pirates and act illegally. They make themselves out to be peaceful but the show shows the opposite. Just read the MSDS on that butyric acid they're throwing for starters. And making the deck slick with that other stuff in a place where slipping off the deck will kill a person quickly, on top of broken glass all over the deck. Then ramming ships. I won't even go into watson's antics like that fake gunshot he claimed last season. He also has no credentials as a captain. No one with half a brain would take such a junky ship not made for ice into the antarctic. An interesting sidenote is one of their other ships was confiscated by Canada and sold at auction. They illegally got too close to some sealers last year, breaking up the ice under their feet, nearly drowning them.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:22 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,690,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
well at least they are trying.. everthing is based on trial and era including the very systems that govern our everyday existace!!! scary to think that the house of cards is giong to come crashing down sooner rather than later.
I'm not sure I understand. What is based on "trial and error" and what house of cards is going to come crashing down?

Old 08-04-2009, 12:49 PM

18,132 posts, read 15,540,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The minke whales the Japanese are hunting are not only not endangered, but almost overpopulated and out-competing slower breeding whales that are endangered. Estimates place the minke whale population at somewhere between 750,000 and over a million. Taking under 1,000 is quite sustainable and I have no problem with it. If the whales were endangered I'd have a very different opinion. The IWC cooperates with the Japanese in issuing the permits to take the whales; if they did not see their actions as legal they would not do so and would condemn the actions of the Japanese. The Norwegians and Icelanders hunt whales commercially (they lodged a protest against the ban on whaling), but watson avoids them. Interestingly, Japan also lodged a protest like Norway did, but the U.S. threatened and coerced them into withdrawing it. They have a right to take the whales if it is sustainable and it is currently.

The Sea Shepherds are terrorists and if they attacked me I'd shoot them. The Japanese have shown a lot of restraint; under international laws they could kill the sea shepherds because they fit the definition of pirates and act illegally. They make themselves out to be peaceful but the show shows the opposite. Just read the MSDS on that butyric acid they're throwing for starters. And making the deck slick with that other stuff in a place where slipping off the deck will kill a person quickly, on top of broken glass all over the deck. Then ramming ships. I won't even go into watson's antics like that fake gunshot he claimed last season. He also has no credentials as a captain. No one with half a brain would take such a junky ship not made for ice into the antarctic. An interesting sidenote is one of their other ships was confiscated by Canada and sold at auction. They illegally got too close to some sealers last year, breaking up the ice under their feet, nearly drowning them.
If I were the folks who actually owned that boat, I would feel better with a REAL crew on board. From What I've see on the show, these guys can barely get the thing out of dock. I have to wonder how they stay underway, let alone conduct their 'operations'. Navy Special Boat Unit they are not. So, these minke whales are an unendangered critter aye? Not quite like hunting Humpbacks, Sperms or Blues then. Personally, I have a soft spot for Dolphins and whales. I hate to hear about operations that kill these animals. I'm not going to go all PETA about it, it just gives me a pang. I'm actually quite surprised that the whaling boats have not gave these 'sea shepards' a harsh lesson about life on the high seas. They most certainly are capable of doing so. Sooner or later someone is going to. My pick is the Russians. Those guys are harsh, and they don't mess about. At any rate, my bottom line opinion on their cause is that their hearts may be in the right place, their methods are comical, and quite unproffesional, they WILL get someone killed sooner than later, and they need to change it up. Perhaps, instead of worrying about an unendangerd animal in the Anarctic, they could spend some time along our own coastlines messing with ILLEGAL fisherman and such. I don't have a problem messing with poachers in my desert. . I'm sure there are areas that need attention out there in this capacity.. Go after the real poachers and rapers that operate outside of all rules and oversight. I have no issue with that. These sea shepards seem to be operating on emotion alone and little else.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:08 PM

7,084 posts, read 12,023,015 times
Their cause is something I would agree with, I think more bio diversity the better, but their handling of it is what I disagree with. Letting them attack the whalers, even for a just cause, is setting the example that if you think it's wrong it is okay to perpetrate violence to those who disagree to force them to do what they want.

What happens if they actually do stop whaling and these same people take up another cause like vegetarianism? If they see people with a hamburger in their hands will it be okay to beat the hell out of them to force them to stop?

Old 08-04-2009, 01:21 PM

18,132 posts, read 15,540,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Their cause is something I would agree with, I think more bio diversity the better, but their handling of it is what I disagree with. Letting them attack the whalers, even for a just cause, is setting the example that if you think it's wrong it is okay to perpetrate violence to those who disagree to force them to do what they want.

What happens if they actually do stop whaling and these same people take up another cause like vegetarianism? If they see people with a hamburger in their hands will it be okay to beat the hell out of them to force them to stop?
Good point. Stop eating meat or face having your car torched or something. A lot of these enviro groups have that mentallity. A couple years ago, some fringe group of 'animal rights' wackos tranked and castrated a local ranchers breeding bulls out here, they were out on summer graze in a remote area south of here that the ranch leases from BLM. The Feds caugh up to them before the rancher did, lucky for them.. When violence and destruction of property becomes OK to further a cause thats bad juju. Regardless of the justness of the cause.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:34 PM

532 posts, read 1,266,714 times
The crew's self important "I'm doing something to save the Earth" makes the show unwatchable for me. Their mission sounds nice but has little substance.

You want to save the world? Finish grad school, grind out a lucrative career, become a succesful entrepeneur and fund a foundation focused to the the betterment of mankind.....nah, too difficult, it's easier to hook up with your coop buddies, take a year off from school and travel the world saving the world on daddies dime.....wow when did I become so cynical.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:48 PM

13,620 posts, read 12,692,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I'm not sure I understand. What is based on "trial and error" and what house of cards is going to come crashing down?
pretty much everything is based on trial and error just look at all the inventions, example thomas edison tried like 6000 combinations of different materials to invent the light bulb. and look at the economies of the world. there is no rule book on how to fix an economy!!!! do you realy think that all this porkculous spending is going to save us from our stupidity.. everything that we create is kinda like evolution it evolves and has adverse effects

nature is like a machine if you take away vital parts, the machine will not function properly.. if we kill all the sharks and whales whats going to be the consequences.. and without going into 100 pages of detailed info the above is baerly scratching the surface. we are striping the machine of it's parts not a good thing!!!

that's what i mean when i say house of cards.. i have a uncany ability to predict future events!!!the way i see it if we don't heed the warnnig signs!!!!>> then i would tell the kids of today we are going to suffer the consequences of our own creation get ready for armageddon!!!! and i fully beleave it to,>>> that's where we are heading!!!!!

Old 08-04-2009, 03:12 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,690,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
pretty much everything is based on trial and error just look at all the inventions, example thomas edison tried like 6000 combinations of different materials to invent the light bulb. and look at the economies of the world. there is no rule book on how to fix an economy!!!! do you realy think that all this porkculous spending is going to save us from our stupidity.. everything that we create is kinda like evolution it evolves and has adverse effects

nature is like a machine if you take away vital parts, the machine will not function properly.. if we kill all the sharks and whales whats going to be the consequences.. and without going into 100 pages of detailed info the above is baerly scratching the surface. we are striping the machine of it's parts not a good thing!!!

that's what i mean when i say house of cards.. i have a uncany ability to predict future events!!!the way i see it if we don't heed the warnnig signs!!!!>> then i would tell the kids of today we are going to suffer the consequences of our own creation get ready for armageddon!!!! and i fully beleave it to,>>> that's where we are heading!!!!!
Oh. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:53 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,258 posts, read 8,626,691 times
While it may be a just cause, thier methods are nothing short of Piracy.. The Japanese goverment would be just in sinking the Steve Irwin for act of Piracy...Where those Japanese harrassing American fishing vessels we'd be calling for 2nd battle of Midway...
The Skipper cares nothing about his crew, He's a clown looking for plublicity and bucks..... The crew while noble lacks any seaman ship skills, and there is a real possibillity of one of them getting killed or seriuosly injured for thier combined lack of knowledge....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates