Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 06:49 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
As unpopular as this answer will sound.....society used to fear less because they trusted God more. Whether people think that trust was unfounded or silly is their own opinion. However, it seemed to work as well for the people back in the day as it works for people today. I can truly say that I live a life without fear of anything. Again, could be a misguided security, but it sure does work.
Well religion is not the topic here, but I am going to have to comment here. Religions only hold on the masses IS fear. Fear of everything, including the deity of that religion.

Biggest problem that is creating the ills of our society today is absentee and uninvolved parents. If one daily event were still practiced by families today, this would be a much better, friendlier, safer society.

That one daily family event?

To sit down at the dinner table as a family, with the damn TV turned off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 09:52 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
...a person who uses a napkin to open the rest room door...
I always use a paper towel when exiting the restroom, and I disagree that it's out-of-control fear. Have you ever noticed how few people wash their hands after using the restroom? An e-coli infection is nasty stuff! I'll keep using the paper towel, thank you very much.

I also use the complimentary Clorox wipes on the handles of the grocery cart and wash my hands before preparing food or eating. Obviously, I must be crazy!

Old 08-09-2009, 10:23 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I always use a paper towel when exiting the restroom, and I disagree that it's out-of-control fear. Have you ever noticed how few people wash their hands after using the restroom? An e-coli infection is nasty stuff! I'll keep using the paper towel, thank you very much.

I also use the complimentary Clorox wipes on the handles of the grocery cart and wash my hands before preparing food or eating. Obviously, I must be crazy!
The cashier and the bag boy handle every item in your grocery cart. They contaminated their hands by touching items bought by the previous customer, who did not wash his hands. How do you sterilize your box of Frosty-O's when you get home?

The cashier gave you change that was handled by the person who did not wash his hands in the bathroom. What do you do about that?

If you wash your hands before eating, why bother with the Clorox wipes?

Old 08-09-2009, 10:41 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
I'll give you the handle on the grocery cart, but the bathroom door handle? There is absolutely no way would I touch it on the way out. I also wash my hands about a dozen times a day, and I very rarely get sick, despite spending the bulk of my days with young children.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 08-09-2009 at 11:07 PM..

Old 08-10-2009, 03:40 AM

737 posts, read 1,036,170 times
FDR had it right!

Old 08-10-2009, 03:44 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
People are more afraid now bc they are being bombarded with sensationalistic media which has to find and perpetuate the most disasterous news in order to maintain high ratings. The worse/more scandalizing/scary, the better.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:56 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Don't move to Houston or any area next to it... Leave your door unlocked here and go out and chances are you may not have anything left when you get back home...

You live in Victoria....you will have to trust me on this one..

And I have family living in Victoria so I do know the difference between there and here...

And Yes we have been the victim of more than one crime....

Now I keep loaded guns around...

And I think you have fear confused with one watching ones own back....
I've never heard of Victoria, don't know about Houston-but parts of Michigan are seeing crime rise. I live in one of the best areas of the state and crimes like B & E and armed robbery-especially around campus-has doubled in the past few years.

As far as drive-by shootings...I've never personally been involved with any of that but Detroit is known for such things. Just a few weeks ago, there was a drive-by shooting at a children's bus stop. No one even blinks an eye in this state because this sort of senseless crime is so commonplace in the city.

I am the survivor of a brutal assault so I have my personal reasons for being leery of other people. I don't think strangers are 'out to get me' but I certainly don't trust people I don't know. Yes, I lock my doors at night. I agree that the media does sell fear but I also think that things are probably not exactly the same as they were half a century ago and one has to use a little guard and common sense now.

But am I afraid? No. I still live my life and do what has to be done. I am cautious though.

Last edited by annika08; 08-10-2009 at 05:06 AM..

Old 08-10-2009, 05:02 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post

I use a paper towel to open public restrooms doors as well, or if I can I just kick it open or push it with my elbow. Very few people wash their hands after using the restroom, and I guess I get grossed out thinking about if people might still have traces of waste on their hands then they're touching the door. It's weird rationalization but nonetheless I'm honestly just grossed out by other people. And if those bathrooms get 'cleaned'-which usually involves no more than changing the trash liner and refilling the toilet paper-I doubt the door handles are getting wiped and sanitized.

I do touch the grocery cart handles, though, I've never really given that one much thought.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
People are more afraid now bc they are being bombarded with sensationalistic media which has to find and perpetuate the most disasterous news in order to maintain high ratings. The worse/more scandalizing/scary, the better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Just a few weeks ago, there was a drive-by shooting at a children's bus stop. No one even blinks an eye in this state because this sort of senseless crime is so commonplace in the city.
If something happens rarely enough that it makes the 6 oclock news, it's too rare for me to worry about it happening to me. If it's on the 6 oclock news, it's not "commonplace".

Old 08-10-2009, 11:24 AM

4 posts, read 12,216 times
live your life and forget the news
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates