U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 10:16 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,089,609 times

Advertisements

What in your opinion would allow for a successful call for peace, all out cease fire and tolerance? This is a serious question, and I dont want to hear people say it isnt possible...how about some actual ideas. Is there something(s) out there that could make all religions get along, all races get along, and all other distigushing social labels coexist?

Basically, what if anything could stop the hate machine?

Maybe if we stop classifying people by race, sexual preference, lifestyle, and religion it could help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 10:32 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,278,496 times
Why fight it?
Americans don't want it. Let all gather in mobs (according to political/social/religious preferences) and go after each other.
That's where America is headed anyway.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:33 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,246,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Why fight it?
Americans don't want it. Let all gather in mobs (according to political/social/religious preferences) and go after each other.
That's where America is headed anyway.

I concour.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:40 PM

55,491 posts, read 74,383,428 times
its not guna happen in palistine
its not guna happen in detroit
when you turn the other cheek some take out an eye.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:43 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,778,081 times
My suggestions, or $.02 so to speak:

1. Celebrate the differences, openly acknowledge them and stop playing the denial game.

2. Tolerate only tolerance. This concept is difficult but basically it means true celebration of differences without assigning blame, victimhood, etc.

3. Work to separate that which is primal and that which is an evolved human.

4. Accept unfairness as a necessary evil since the world is not a constant trial of equality in absolute terms.

5. Fight the only good fight and skip the rest.

6. Recogize that all is not serious and that life is to be enjoyed, thus spending more time on one's individual atonement rather than grieving over the past.

7. Allow others to vent, allow yourself to vent, and then learn to tell others and yourself to shut the heck up when it is time.

Sorry if it's a little on the edge but ya can't fault me for speaking with clarity even though I realize not all will openly agree and then there are those who are incapable of rationalizing these points. And please add, delete, modify or categorically dispense of the list of suggestions if you so choose.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:03 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,278,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its not guna happen in palistine
its not guna happen in detroit
when you turn the other cheek some take out an eye.
Get them before they get you!

Old 08-08-2009, 11:04 PM

24,889 posts, read 21,001,151 times
Wow, the world peace question.

To be honest, anything short of an alien invasion, or the actual return of a "God" I really don't know.

We've got to many problems as a species right now. Pedophiles, rapists, serial killers, that kind of thing shows our animal nature.

However, we can evolve, although most of us haven't. When you take away the pillars of our society, you'd be surprised at how quickly people turn to their animal nature.

Pure education is the best method. Religion is the crutch of a weak mind, so a society based on pure science is the best method. More people have been killed in the name of religion then any other thing on the planet.

I don't know, it is a good question. Maybe if Jesus comes back all will be well, but I'm not counting those chickens just yet.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:06 PM

44,924 posts, read 28,123,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checking out View Post
My suggestions, or $.02 so to speak:

1. Celebrate the differences, openly acknowledge them and stop playing the denial game.

2. Tolerate only tolerance. This concept is difficult but basically it means true celebration of differences without assigning blame, victimhood, etc.

3. Work to separate that which is primal and that which is an evolved human.

4. Accept unfairness as a necessary evil since the world is not a constant trial of equality in absolute terms.

5. Fight the only good fight and skip the rest.

6. Recogize that all is not serious and that life is to be enjoyed, thus spending more time on one's individual atonement rather than grieving over the past.

7. Allow others to vent, allow yourself to vent, and then learn to tell others and yourself to shut the heck up when it is time.

Sorry if it's a little on the edge but ya can't fault me for speaking with clarity even though I realize not all will openly agree and then there are those who are incapable of rationalizing these points. And please add, delete, modify or categorically dispense of the list of suggestions if you so choose.
I think our best chance to see real peace on these forums is to abolish the very thing that allows them to exist. I have been here a very long time and I think that most of the actual hatred started with the election of 2000 and the resulting Supreme Court decision. I never saw all this hatred until that time and I didn't get on these things until the fall of 2002.

So abolish the PC and let people settle down a bit before they come back, the PC's that is. I guess we could abolish discussion or screaming at each other forums.

Actually I see nothing wrong with your suggestions but I do think that the posts that preceded mine proved the point I am trying to make.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Wow, the world peace question.

To be honest, anything short of an alien invasion, or the actual return of a "God" I really don't know.

We've got to many problems as a species right now. Pedophiles, rapists, serial killers, that kind of thing shows our animal nature.

However, we can evolve, although most of us haven't. When you take away the pillars of our society, you'd be surprised at how quickly people turn to their animal nature.

Pure education is the best method. Religion is the crutch of a weak mind, so a society based on pure science is the best method. More people have been killed in the name of religion then any other thing on the planet.

I don't know, it is a good question. Maybe if Jesus comes back all will be well, but I'm not counting those chickens just yet.
I'd be careful about that one. Used to be back in history that science and religion were one and the same. Hard to tell if much has changed.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I think our best chance to see real peace on these forums is to abolish the very thing that allows them to exist. I have been here a very long time and I think that most of the actual hatred started with the election of 2000 and the resulting Supreme Court decision. I never saw all this hatred until that time and I didn't get on these things until the fall of 2002.

So abolish the PC and let people settle down a bit before they come back, the PC's that is. I guess we could abolish discussion or screaming at each other forums.

Actually I see nothing wrong with your suggestions but I do think that the posts that preceded mine proved the point I am trying to make.
Some profess that the personal computer and the internet are the paths to wisdom. I'm not so sure given some of what I have seen going on the internet.

Interesting to ponder whether we'd be better off with or without the internet but one thing for certain it is here to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates