Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:51 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

It grows wild so well in Kansas, that the Doniphan County sheriff used to practically run his department on the proceeds of auctioning off cars confiscated from people harvesting what grows conspicuously alongside the highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 09:54 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maude Kipz View Post
Ah, florida would be a bit easier to grow. I'm over in North Dakota. Short, intense growing seasons are not entirely weed-friendly, unless you don't mind getting a massive headache and relatively small high.
Grows wild in Hokkaido. There are various strains that grow in various climates.

I have been around people who were drunk and people who were high. I never once felt safe around people who were drunk. Yet alcohol is cheap and easy to get. Makes no sense nothing is even being done to curve drinking. If anything it seems like society pushes people to drink. Clubs constantly promoting free drinks, caught drinking and driving you get a slap on the wrist, low tax, sold at all events, etc

Old 08-12-2009, 12:59 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Grows wild in Hokkaido. There are various strains that grow in various climates.

I have been around people who were drunk and people who were high. I never once felt safe around people who were drunk. Yet alcohol is cheap and easy to get. Makes no sense nothing is even being done to curve drinking. If anything it seems like society pushes people to drink. Clubs constantly promoting free drinks, caught drinking and driving you get a slap on the wrist, low tax, sold at all events, etc
I completely disagree. I estimate this last DUI in 2006 I got has cost me well over $60,000 in fines, car insurance increases, income loss, etc. I spent 5 days in jail. I also was refused multiple jobs. It has nearly made me homeless. In fact, before I got my DUI in 2006, I was a delivery driver and a part time nursing assistant. I used to make decent money and now neither of those jobs will hire me anymore so I am stuck as a security guard. I am even forced to have car insurance even if I do not own a car, even know the DUI was over 3 years ago. I agree with your other statements except for the one in bold print.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:15 AM

252 posts, read 660,900 times
the "slap on the wrist" bit depends on the state and how many times you're caught. In ND, its a slap on the wrist. Minnesota takes it a bit more seriously. My friends joke about "if you're gonna get caught, make sure to make it over the border!" Girl I work with got caught twice in ND and both times it was a small fine (like, $300). Then a week after the second one, she got caught in Minnesota and it was a week of jail, $2000, and 3 months suspended license. She's not to be caught in a bar for 6 months (she does it anyhow). Sooo..... maybe you should move to north dakota?

Old 08-12-2009, 07:56 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I completely disagree. I estimate this last DUI in 2006 I got has cost me well over $60,000 in fines, car insurance increases, income loss, etc. I spent 5 days in jail. I also was refused multiple jobs. It has nearly made me homeless. In fact, before I got my DUI in 2006, I was a delivery driver and a part time nursing assistant. I used to make decent money and now neither of those jobs will hire me anymore so I am stuck as a security guard. I am even forced to have car insurance even if I do not own a car, even know the DUI was over 3 years ago. I agree with your other statements except for the one in bold print.
I still think that is a slap on the wrist. A car can be considered a deadly weapon in the court, it's not like you accidentally got drunk then hopped into your car. With that said a person drinking and driving should be charged with a felony and do more then 5 days in jail.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:15 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I still think that is a slap on the wrist. A car can be considered a deadly weapon in the court, it's not like you accidentally got drunk then hopped into your car. With that said a person drinking and driving should be charged with a felony and do more then 5 days in jail.

Convicting someone with a felony for a minor crime like that is a very bad idea. With a felony, I would never be able to get a job again, remember I do work in security. I say it was a minor crime because I did not hit anyone. If I did, then I would agree with you. Not only that, I learned from it and became a productive citizen.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:23 PM

247 posts, read 538,242 times
neither one is "safer' and two wrongs dont make a right.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:10 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No attitude View Post
Then you don't have to use them, but please don't tell me what I can and can't do in the privacy of my own home. I don't tell you what you can do in your home.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:20 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,570 times
yea I don't mind pot, I don't smoke it though, I have, but I haven't in years. I would be ok with it being legal, a lot of my friends smoke it and honestly it makes me nervous to be with them sometimes b/c I'm like gosh I could go down with you for that little green leaf ya got there. Sometimes it can make you paranoid but alcohol can do that too if you drink to much I guess. I did see somebody blackout once and turn gray from pot, what really pissed me off was I wanted to call an ambulance and this dude wouldn't let me because he didn't want to get caught, I was crying hysterically and thank God she woke up. The only concern I have is the notion that if pot is legal, people are just going to smuggle something else, perhaps even worse. If I smoked pot though, I wouldn't bring it in someones car who didn't though, I didn't say anything, I mean we made it to our destination, but I have a clean record and I really don't need someone messing that up for me, I have enough on my plate trying to get a good career and not just a job. You really have to think about what kind of effects your actions can have on other people, I mean I know people probably don't think about that, but they should

Old 03-03-2010, 07:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No attitude View Post
If you honestly think that then you are obviously mistaken. How many people have died because of alcohol poisoning,? and how many people have died by ODing on mary jane. NONE. It is absolutely safer than alcohol not to mention the damage that alcohol does to your kidneys. i am 18 and smoke pot on the reg and i dont regret one hit ive ever taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates