Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 02:39 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times

Advertisements

Attached with a 'Sticky' to the top of this forum is a note that says "Special High Standards Apply In This Forum." When I think of said "Special High Standards," I often think of reading something that one might try to get published or, perhaps on a less rigorous scale, attempt to turn in as part of a term paper.

It seems to me that a standard set forth in such a forum would be largely centered around some of the most stringent, difficult and important debates that world societies and cultures face today. In fact, it seems to me that a "Great Debate" would consist mainly of two opposing sides that cannot seem to meet eye to eye. Some well known examples of this which we could all relate to could be "Global Warming: Truth or Fiction" or perhaps "Evolution vs. Creationism" or "Africa: Should There Be U.S. Involvement" or "Abortion: Pro-Choice or Not?" In fact, I firmly feel that this is a forum that would not have many topics at all. Perhaps there might be only one to two pages of truly compelling 'Great Debates.'

The dictates of any of these debates should, in my opinion, be discussed with meaningful avenues of fact-checking, purposeful source content (as much as the internet will allow), as well as openness to criticism. Because there has been so much written on each topic, there are copious amounts of available data and fact-checking that can be done. While all of the previous could be considered in the debate itself, we must also focus on what we consider to be a 'Great Debate' as opposed to trivial matters suited for another place.

Is discussing the ins and outs of an "Automatic vs. Manual" transmission really a 'Great Debate?' Or is it simply a discussion better relegated for the Auto Forum? Would you expect a 'Great Debate' to have the acronym "LOL" in it or am I just being anal retentive? Is there really and truly a great debate over different archery methods or are we just being too free with what we consider a 'Great Debate?'

I'm surprised there has not yet been a "Great Debate" over why Paula Abdul was not invited back to American Idol. After all, that must be one of the biggest events in most people's daily lives according to the high standards upon which we investigate such superfluous relegations of "Greatness."

Perhaps one of the greatest debates we could have would be over what we, as a forum community, decide are actual 'Great Debates.' Has our society become so entrenched in mindless drivel that we actually consider such unimportant topics to be a 'Great Debate?' Or have we sunk so low as a society that we cannot figure out the subjective claim of what a 'Great Debate' is?

Have our standards of "Greatness" actually sunk to such low depths that we not only consider but allow something such as "How Much Sex Is Too Much Sex" be given the meritorious award of "Greatness?" Is that really and truly a 'Great Debate?'

I propose that we think about the standards upon which we define greatness, how we look at what constitutes special high standards and which posters we entertain with responses when coming across something that is only mediocre. I think we should be able to police ourselves to 'Greatness' and not put up with a lower standard that would be considered pathetic at worst and mediocre at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 03:20 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I'm sure it started out that way. When I first joined C-D and saw this forum, I spent a week or so reading other postings, before I even submitted one, just to make sure I was maintaining the standards. Now look

I guess what is needed is a sub-category, " Really Great Debates" And then, after about a year, "Really Great Debates, and this time we really mean it". and so on.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:52 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
The dictates of any of these debates should, in my opinion, be discussed with meaningful avenues of fact-checking, purposeful source content (as much as the internet will allow), as well as openness to criticism. Because there has been so much written on each topic, there are copious amounts of available data and fact-checking that can be done.
Hahaha! good luck getting that level of conversation here.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:01 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Attached with a 'Sticky' to the top of this forum is a note that says "Special High Standards Apply In This Forum." When I think of said "Special High Standards," I often think of reading something that one might try to get published or, perhaps on a less rigorous scale, attempt to turn in as part of a term paper. ...

The dictates of any of these debates should, in my opinion, be discussed with meaningful avenues of fact-checking, purposeful source content (as much as the internet will allow), as well as openness to criticism. Because there has been so much written on each topic, there are copious amounts of available data and fact-checking that can be done. While all of the previous could be considered in the debate itself, we must also focus on what we consider to be a 'Great Debate' as opposed to trivial matters suited for another place.

Is discussing the ins and outs of an "Automatic vs. Manual" transmission really a 'Great Debate?' Or is it simply a discussion better relegated for the Auto Forum? Would you expect a 'Great Debate' to have the acronym "LOL" in it or am I just being anal retentive? Is there really and truly a great debate over different archery methods or are we just being too free with what we consider a 'Great Debate?'

Perhaps one of the greatest debates we could have would be over what we, as a forum community, decide are actual 'Great Debates.' Has our society become so entrenched in mindless drivel that we actually consider such unimportant topics to be a 'Great Debate?' Or have we sunk so low as a society that we cannot figure out the subjective claim of what a 'Great Debate' is?

Have our standards of "Greatness" actually sunk to such low depths that we not only consider but allow something such as "How Much Sex Is Too Much Sex" be given the meritorious award of "Greatness?" Is that really and truly a 'Great Debate?'

I propose that we think about the standards upon which we define greatness, how we look at what constitutes special high standards and which posters we entertain with responses when coming across something that is only mediocre. I think we should be able to police ourselves to 'Greatness' and not put up with a lower standard that would be considered pathetic at worst and mediocre at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'm sure it started out that way. When I first joined C-D and saw this forum, I spent a week or so reading other postings, before I even submitted one, just to make sure I was maintaining the standards.

I guess what is needed is a sub-category, " Really Great Debates" And then, after about a year, "Really Great Debates, and this time we really mean it". and so on.

I am not exactly a highbrow intellectual, but you two are right.
Standards have slipped.
I don't think it is easy for the mods to keep up with all this.Of course the biggest problem is simply the fact that many posters appear to have not bothered to read the stickies.
For me, one of the biggest disappointments is posters who declare opinion as fact, with no cites, backup data, etc. I realize not *everything* on the internet is true, but this is Great Debates, and the namecalling and hyperbole is supposed to be over at Politics and Controversies.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:53 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
I can see where this is going. I partially agree, but who decides if its "great" enough or not. Perhaps we could have a vote on topics. 10 against votes, and its gone, or something to that effect.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:04 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
It isn't the mods that are the source of the problem. It is the popularity of the forums and open registration that allows anyone to post. The size of the room is too big for the type of conversation that works best in a smaller group. Be thankful that the spammers and trolls are kept in check.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:15 AM

161 posts, read 341,849 times
I entirely agree with op on this one...for this forum. There are very few topics that are "great debates". The other point I'd like to offer is: Debating a subject is not only to express our viewpoint, but to urge others to listen and possibly change sides on the situation. Perhaps it would be interesting that once a month a poll is put up on each of these really big debates with the question....Have you changed your opinion since the last poll?" Include a yes or no response. I say this, because I've wondered...does anyone really ever change their position? Does the time and effort some of you posters put in do any good?

Old 08-14-2009, 12:46 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I can see where this is going. I partially agree, but who decides if its "great" enough or not. Perhaps we could have a vote on topics. 10 against votes, and its gone, or something to that effect.
I do agree with the concept of "Greatness" being subjective but I also think there are certain standards we should try to uphold if we're going to participate in this forum.

I'm less concerned with the topics at hand (although it is a big concern) than I am with the truly poor communication skills of most posters. I'm not perfect and I have my own idiosyncrasies with the English language but should we even allow things like "LOL," "WTF," and "ROFLMAO" to be in this forum?

If it's rather evident the individual is not even making the vaguest attempt at making a decent effort shouldn't the post be flagged for the moderator and subsequently edited or deleted? After all, we are trying to hold this place to "Special High Standards" according to the sticky note at the top of the page. The deletion of posts is not to necessarily punish but rather to filter out the nonsensical drivel that seems to spring up. If someone cannot communicate properly than I feel sorry for them but this isn't the place to be.

If one is to make a thread title in a forum designed for 'greatness,' shouldn't we expect just a hint of capitalization? Can we at least try to entertain some semblance of professionalism with standards a bit more rigorous and trying? Or, do we just assume that because there is a sticky at the top of the page that any post which isn't deleted must clearly be defined as "Great?"

Finally, I think most people (I hope) understand the concept of what a major debate is or could be. Perhaps there is no doubt that a debate on automatic vs. manual transmissions could indeed be great. There is a lot on the topic, there are a plethora of sources to cite from and there are probably even historical records to choose from in making these claims. If we were to uphold the standard(s) of 'greatness' could we at least expect the argument(s) to be put forth in a matter expectant of alleged 'special high standards?' Is that really so much to ask for?

Old 08-14-2009, 01:12 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Oh, please. If you want it, then bring it.

Set it up.

We can sit here all day and bash posters and threads. There are at least 15 posters that if they are able and willing will take part in a debate. This is providing that it interests them.

I have 8 regular posters that I flat out do not agree with on most, however, I will [MOD CUT/language] and hear what they have to say. Even if it feels like they are killing me.

I'm thinking the question of the hour is..........are you apart of the solution or the problem?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-14-2009 at 07:15 PM..

Old 08-14-2009, 02:19 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
I'm thinking the question of the hour is..........are you apart of the solution or the problem?
I agree with the spirit of this, in that many people are coming here to discuss, but to be reactionary. If you are critical of some, they will blow up in your face in defensiveness. If you write something dumb and contraversial people will often respond (just scan the titles of the posts that continue to bump to the top). If you write something people will actually have to think about or read, feew will bother to do so, and even fewer will have something worthwhile to respond.

I actually think the mods are pretty strict on this site. On many areas, especially in states and metro regions, say something they don't agree with and they will delete it. Meanwhile, posts involving whether New York or LA is the center of the US, what the "whitest" country in the world is, and multiple repeated threads essentially spreading misinformation, and such meaningful conversations are considered the correct standard fare. And again, these are kept up top because thats what people respond to.

There is no amount of moderationt that can save this site. The key to this,and any forum involves discussing with those that are worth discussing with. I personally think there should be less moderation, in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates