U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 01:06 AM

261 posts, read 579,810 times

Advertisements

Some say that the energy used to make recycling is far more than the energy it saves. They point out how you bull doze a forest to build a recycling plant and put mor etrunks on the road.

Recycling Rubbish : PERC - The Property and Environment Research Center

Perhaps we need to rethink recycling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 07:17 AM

24,889 posts, read 20,044,254 times
They seem to have no idea what goes into aluminum production. Its incredibly expensive, and hard on the environment to produce aluminum, and it takes about 10 percent of the energy output to recycle an aluminum can.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:53 AM

42,670 posts, read 70,646,756 times
There is a false sense of security created by the concept of recycling. People believe they can waste resources with reduced impact, because what they waste can be recycled. With very few exceptions (such as aluminum), the amount of materials recycled is significantly less than the amount of gratuitous use that is generated by the psychological idea that what we waste gets recycled.

People who use public transportation can obviously not recycle. You can't take your recycling on a bus, and it is very unlikely that there are any recycling centers near bus stops anyway. So the use of a recycling center requires a special trip in a private car, which in most cases wastes more resources than what is gained by recycling.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:05 AM

19,187 posts, read 12,965,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
They seem to have no idea what goes into aluminum production. Its incredibly expensive, and hard on the environment to produce aluminum, and it takes about 10 percent of the energy output to recycle an aluminum can.
Exactly, the destruction to our environment when we mine metals and minerals does not occur when we recycle old cars or millions of aluminum cans.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:06 AM

24,889 posts, read 20,044,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There is a false sense of security created by the concept of recycling. People believe they can waste resources with reduced impact, because what they waste can be recycled. With very few exceptions (such as aluminum), the amount of materials recycled is significantly less than the amount of gratuitous use that is generated by the psychological idea that what we waste gets recycled.

People who use public transportation can obviously not recycle. You can't take your recycling on a bus, and it is very unlikely that there are any recycling centers near bus stops anyway. So the use of a recycling center requires a special trip in a private car, which in most cases wastes more resources than what is gained by recycling.
My community trash company picks up recyclables on Wednesday. I just separate the trash, and put the paper, aluminum, and glass in a separate container. No special trips.

I pay an added, 10 dollars a month for my entire trash pick up, which is 2 days a week, plus the 1 day a week for recycling. I don't think its that expensive.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:09 AM

19,187 posts, read 12,965,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
And if the same people believe that we have such vast riches in resources that there is no need to recycle?

Old 08-15-2009, 08:40 AM

13,191 posts, read 28,921,524 times
It's not so much about energy where I live as it is about conserving landfill space.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:49 AM

42,670 posts, read 70,646,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
And if the same people believe that we have such vast riches in resources that there is no need to recycle?
I'm not sure I understand your point, and you probably didnt understand mine either.

People who believe we dont need to recycle, mindlessly waste. People who believe we DO recycle think that excuses waste.

I receive mailings from senders who gloat that they are using recycled paper. But then they priint on one side only, wasting what has been recycled,

Old 08-15-2009, 09:11 AM

4,626 posts, read 4,894,028 times
I shudder to think of what will happen if we stop recycling. Our ancestors didn't have all this crap to deal with. They made things last from generation to generation. We are a "throw away" society. I have a one speed blender from 1950. It still works like a charm. We have made our lives way too cluttered, and complicated. "Monkey see...monkey buy." It's ridiculous. I am sick of seeing those silly plastic grocery bags flying all over the place.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:37 AM

782 posts, read 3,412,723 times
Default saving the world

From a guy who work in the waste energy.

A garbage truck that combine both trash and recyclables will make four trips to the dump. If we separate like we do now the garbage truck will make 2 trips to the dump while the recyclable truck will make 1 trip. Recyclables use alot of space on trucks. The garbage truck will travel 100 miles by the end of the day. Separate trucks will travel 100 miles total combine and use fewer hours. The myth of recycling use more resources IMO is false.

Paper and cardboard will save trees from being cut down. Think of all the resource it takes to cut a tree down and transport it to be process. More paper recycle is good for the environment right. How long does it takes a tree to grow. It's more better to reuse paper to save that trees.

Plastics is a product that doesn't break down. It fills our landfills. Plastics is made from Petroleum which uses refine crude oil and natural gas as part of the process of making it. Plastic takes alot of resources and energy to produce. It's more cost efficient to take recyclable plastic and melt or regrind it to use in process of making new plastic than newly resource material.

Aluminum takes alot of resources and energy to produce. Research it, all the mining and refining it takes to get the alumina. Again more easy to melt it down and reuse it.

The same goes for glass regrind in use it in process of making new glass.

Landfills will last twice as long. More than half of your garbage is recyclable.

Yard waste gets recyclable also. We dump it at an organic farm which grind it up and make fertilizer out of it.

Rubber is being recycle to use for mulch, asphalt and other things.

Construction materials get reuse one way or another. Wood is shredded down to use for yard mulch. Steel is melted and reuse cheaper than mining it.

Recyclables can help save our earth resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates