Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 11:44 PM

261 posts, read 668,279 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry but I can't help but think how bad immigration. We are in the biggest recession since the great depression, and have 10-17% unemployment depending upon the state or province, yet both canada and american governments are bringing in legal immigrants like candy canes on christmas. I can't help but find it frustratiing that some companies are so quick to hire foreign workers from india or china, yet american/canadians cannot find jobs. I thought these employers were suppose to actually look for candidates in this country yet routinely i see foreign workers being hired without any interview even being held for nationals. I meet so many new residents/ immigrants who say america/canada is so great, and then i meet so much americans and canadians who can't even find a job

Old 08-16-2009, 12:14 AM

408 posts, read 723,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungeon View Post
I'm sorry but I can't help but think how bad immigration. We are in the biggest recession since the great depression, and have 10-17% unemployment depending upon the state or province, yet both canada and american governments are bringing in legal immigrants like candy canes on christmas. I can't help but find it frustratiing that some companies are so quick to hire foreign workers from india or china, yet american/canadians cannot find jobs. I thought these employers were suppose to actually look for candidates in this country yet routinely i see foreign workers being hired without any interview even being held for nationals. I meet so many new residents/ immigrants who say america/canada is so great, and then i meet so much americans and canadians who can't even find a job

I can't blame the immigrants for coming to a country and taking advantage of opportunities, as that is indeed the American dream. Many are coming from bad situations / low life expectancy, things way worse than most could deal with on a day to day basis. It seems that you're frustrated at the immigrants and not the companies that are hiring them.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:40 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,338,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZappa301 View Post
I can't blame the immigrants for coming to a country and taking advantage of opportunities, as that is indeed the American dream. Many are coming from bad situations / low life expectancy, things way worse than most could deal with on a day to day basis. It seems that you're frustrated at the immigrants and not the companies that are hiring them.
agree. as bad as things are in America, things are a LOT worse in some other countries like the Middle East, many parts of Africa, etc. these people, the ones coming over legally from 3rd world countries, countries w/ major political upheavals, and war zones (ESPECIALLY war zones we had a hand in creating) shouldn't be punished b/c Americans (for the most part) screwed up. they weren't the ones taking out or backing bad loans. heck, if anything, I'd like to see certain bank execs excommunicated out of the country!

Old 08-16-2009, 12:46 AM

1,450 posts, read 4,250,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
agree. as bad as things are in America, things are a LOT worse in some other countries like the Middle East, many parts of Africa, etc. these people, the ones coming over legally from 3rd world countries, countries w/ major political upheavals, and war zones (ESPECIALLY war zones we had a hand in creating) shouldn't be punished b/c Americans (for the most part) screwed up. they weren't the ones taking out or backing bad loans. heck, if anything, I'd like to see certain bank execs excommunicated out of the country!

Just how did my husband "screw up" by his job being outsourced, forced into a job 1/2 his former pay, Indians and Chinese with good paying jobs and we can't make ends meet? Face it, if they weren't here, we would still have our jobs, not them! so sorry about dire conditions in other countries, but let them fix their own problems, not literally steal our livelihoods out from under us to solve their problems and to hell with us!

Old 08-16-2009, 12:51 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,896,840 times
Actually immigrants aren't bad and the people who are losing their jobs aren't at fault either.

If you want to understand what is going on here spend a little more time looking at globalization and the WEF and World Bank.

There's a lot of really wealthy people up the top end of the food chain that have a vested interest in assuring the wealth stays with them and that means pitting the little guys against each other.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:08 AM

814 posts, read 2,306,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
Just how did my husband "screw up" by his job being outsourced, forced into a job 1/2 his former pay, Indians and Chinese with good paying jobs and we can't make ends meet? Face it, if they weren't here, we would still have our jobs, not them! so sorry about dire conditions in other countries, but let them fix their own problems, not literally steal our livelihoods out from under us to solve their problems and to hell with us!
when did they say your "husband" screwed up? they were referring to the corporations and government. you know, the ones that are screwing your husband.

you do realize that american government has caused problems in other countries which left or supported devastation and even genocide directly or indirectly? not that all the immigrants even represent those particular countries but that was the point.

maybe america should use mexico for thier manufacturing base instead of china since it's right next door. why use china?

this way there won't be so much border jumpers and that would be a big start, right?

Old 08-16-2009, 01:52 AM

455 posts, read 1,017,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post

You say your husband's job was outsourced. I assume this was to another country, no? If so, I am confused as to why then you are blaming immigrants in the US?

Also, how can you blame the people (in let's say India) for taking our jobs in the US? They are willing to work at a much lower rate than Americans are legally allowed to. Why wouldn't a large American corporation outsource its labor if it can get it A LOT cheaper? In a capitalistic society, the goal is to PROFIT, not to pander to the country's citizens in which the company is located (and at a much higher cost).

If you want to be mad, be mad at globalization and free market capitalism. Not the workers who are willing to work for less than we are. You sound like you should be championing protectionism and government regulation.

Again, your anger is misplaced at the people willing to work for less. Be mad at the corporations who are doing the outsourcing. If you want, you can always work for the same wages that they are.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:01 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,049,927 times
Unless you are Native to this continent your ancestors pretty much did exactly why you are speaking ill against immigrants now. If they hadn't come looking for a better life you wouldn't be complaining about anyone else doing it.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:09 AM

13,582 posts, read 15,647,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungeon View Post
Indeed, corporations lie through their teeth about how they can't find Americans to fill positions -- it's either a case of "Jobs Americans won't do" or "Americans don't know enough about math and science." Both claims are totally fallacious. And, it's particularly bad when an immigrant is in a managerial position, as the positions under their supervision are usually filled with people of the manager's ethnicity (big surprise), with perhaps just one or two filled by employees of other ethnicities in order to satisfy "diversity" requirements.

What a pathetic joke...

When will Americans stand up for what their ancestors bled for?

Old 08-16-2009, 02:11 AM

13,582 posts, read 15,647,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmahorn View Post
Also, how can you blame the people (in let's say India) for taking our jobs in the US?.
Umm...were they forcefully abducted and brought here against their will?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.