Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:22 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times

Advertisements

I don't really mind eating anything that's not neurological tissue, but it doesn't mean it must suffer.

I know my father in law is about the same way, he was a big eater of Jack in the Box when they were using kangaroo. He was disappointed when they switch because it was so much better then their beef.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 10:08 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
All cultures have certain taboos, in the West we view dogs and cats primarily as pets. I have no problem with anyone eating either as long as they are humanely reared and killed. I would not personally want to eat Dog ( my personal taboo though I will eat most things) but it seems hypocritical to point the finger out at other cultures for eating certain animals when we quite happily chomp on cows, pigs etc...

Let us not forget how mass produced meat is produced and under what inhumane and cruel conditions ....

For example being French I grew up eating horse meat ( which is delicious), to some people this is repellent. As far as I am concerned the most important aspect of our food is its production.

Most people in the West are content to eat animals who have been abused and teated appallingly all their lives so I am not sure how eating dogs is worse.

Animals should not be abused so we can have the pleasure of eating them at the cheapest cost possible. It might not be a bad idea for us all to be a bit more demanding as to the quality of our meat and pay more for it , simply eating better meat but less often.

I prefer to buy meat which is produced humanely , it tastes a lot better and is better for you . It does cost more but I eat a lot less of it.

I don't like the idea of Dogs being eaten but that is my problem not someone else's. My taboos are all my own and bear no logic whatsoever. Pigs are incredibly intelligent creatures , cows are really lovely and sweet creatures, and yet we have no problem eating those.

I have eaten things most people would find repugnant but at the end of the day , food is food, as long as there is no need for cruelty. I do profoundly oppose however when dogs are skinned alive because it is supposed to taste better as is often the case in South East Asia.

But unless you are a vegan it seems quite intellectually dishonest to moan about other people's culinary traditions .

Old 08-20-2009, 09:33 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,578,168 times
Here's a link to a news story that's right in line with the topic here.

Man escapes charges for barbecuing pet dog - CNN.com

Old 08-20-2009, 09:54 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
There are commercial dog / puppy breeding farms outside of Hong Kong.

I had dog in Korea years ago

Old 08-20-2009, 10:06 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

I had dog in Korea years ago
This doesn't surprise me at all. It goes right in line with your personality and views.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:16 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
This doesn't surprise me at all. It goes right in line with your personality and views.

I'm not sure what you mean. Dog is common in Korea -

As the expression goes - "when in Rome, do as the Romans do"

Old 08-21-2009, 12:20 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,578,168 times
I couldn't do it....ugh! Sorry, but I think of dogs as pets. As for pork, I hardly eat it myself.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:45 PM

19 posts, read 33,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Convince me that plants do not feel discomfort and/or pain. Why does a flower turn to face the sun? Because it's pain aversion, and it hurts not to. If that were not the case, there would be no incentive for plants to behave the way they do.

There. I've spoiled your supper. Now what are you going to eat?
Tonight I'm thinking shredded recycled paper with grated crayons, a side of sauershirt (old, fermented cotton undershirt) with some '09 vintage rain water.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:24 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. Dog is common in Korea -

As the expression goes - "when in Rome, do as the Romans do"
Right, and when in Korea "Wok the dog."

As in, "Honey, could you wok the dog please?"

Old 08-23-2009, 01:16 AM

141 posts, read 287,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
In many Eastern cultures dog is a perfectly acceptable food source. It was not an uncommon dish in Europe either as late as the early 20th century.

Is there a moral diference between consuming pork and dog meat? Watching the below video got me thinking a bit. That pig is intelligent and personable, smarter than my dog, no question. As a dog lover my stomach churns at the thought of eating dog meat, yet I don't blink an eye when ordering a side of bacon or sausage with my breakfast.

For those who eat pork, but find the consumption of dogs reprehensible, how do you rationalize this? Reason tells me there is no difference, yet I'm not about to give up pork nor could I be swayed to eat dog meat.

Note, I originally posted this on the dogs forum, my mistake. The post was immediately removed and I recieved a warning for trolling. The mod did find it a reasonable topic for this forum however.

YouTube - Pet Star: Smart Pig
there is no moral difference between eating the two. i just think that the west is more sentimental to dogs. also we are used to eating pork not dog.
ALSO pigs are easier to raise and feed.
or is this really just a way to argue against eating pork???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates