U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-03-2010, 04:34 AM
 
771 posts, read 261,704 times
Reputation: 608

Advertisements

I think you described roughly 90 percent of American Women- fake, self-hating, consumer-driven, always priming for that slight social edge via "one-upper" amongst other women in the hopes of leaving the conversation with a faint sense of self-worth.




Too far?

 
Old 02-03-2010, 08:00 AM
 
9,856 posts, read 7,915,016 times
Reputation: 5319
I am 23, I live in a city and work a white-collar job at a fortune 500 company. Even though I honestly love my job and spend the money I work hard to earn this means you can all hate me since I am the steriotypical yuppie?

If I am happy being a "yuppie" and you are happy not living like that, what does it matter? Why the hate?
 
Old 02-03-2010, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Southwest Desert
4,144 posts, read 2,847,014 times
Reputation: 3336
Got to keep moving up in life...Can't drive an outdated car...Have to buy that new house up on the hill to show the world that I am a rising star...Can't associate with my old friends or family back in the old neighborhood anymore because they are "go nowheres" and they will reflect badly on me....Can't stop...Can't get off the treadmill....Can't let others pass me up or by....Enough is never enough....I'm on the rise. I'm near the top....Get out of my way....Go away....How dare you question my success or my values....How dare you insinuate that I might be wrong or on the wrong track.....Look at you....you are a nothing. ....You have nothing compared to me. Move out of my way and shut up..
 
Old 02-03-2010, 01:07 PM
 
491 posts, read 703,044 times
Reputation: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Got to keep moving up in life...Can't drive an outdated car...Have to buy that new house up on the hill to show the world that I am a rising star...Can't associate with my old friends or family back in the old neighborhood anymore because they are "go nowheres" and they will reflect badly on me....Can't stop...Can't get off the treadmill....Can't let others pass me up or by....Enough is never enough....I'm on the rise. I'm near the top....Get out of my way....Go away....How dare you question my success or my values....How dare you insinuate that I might be wrong or on the wrong track.....Look at you....you are a nothing. ....You have nothing compared to me. Move out of my way and shut up..
You must not live in a glass house.
 
Old 02-03-2010, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Southwest Desert
4,144 posts, read 2,847,014 times
Reputation: 3336
My post was my attempt at satire...
 
Old 02-03-2010, 10:38 PM
 
5,748 posts, read 7,323,942 times
Reputation: 4378
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
I think you described roughly 90 percent of American Women- fake, self-hating, consumer-driven, always priming for that slight social edge via "one-upper" amongst other women in the hopes of leaving the conversation with a faint sense of self-worth.




Too far?
Yeah, too far.
 
Old 02-03-2010, 10:39 PM
 
5,748 posts, read 7,323,942 times
Reputation: 4378
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Got to keep moving up in life...Can't drive an outdated car...Have to buy that new house up on the hill to show the world that I am a rising star...Can't associate with my old friends or family back in the old neighborhood anymore because they are "go nowheres" and they will reflect badly on me....Can't stop...Can't get off the treadmill....Can't let others pass me up or by....Enough is never enough....I'm on the rise. I'm near the top....Get out of my way....Go away....How dare you question my success or my values....How dare you insinuate that I might be wrong or on the wrong track.....Look at you....you are a nothing. ....You have nothing compared to me. Move out of my way and shut up..
People who are truly content with their choices typically don't feel the need to denigrate those who make different ones.
 
Old 02-04-2010, 12:47 AM
 
2,038 posts, read 2,475,515 times
Reputation: 3101
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
People who are truly content with their choices typically don't feel the need to denigrate those who make different ones.

Very true. Rep.
 
Old 02-04-2010, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Southwest Desert
4,144 posts, read 2,847,014 times
Reputation: 3336
I have been "left behind" and pretty much labeled a "hick" by family members who were supposedly "on the rise" and ready to "move up" in life...This is what some of the "'new rich" do. They don't want relatives showing up at their gatherings who look or seem poor or "out of date." This would blow their image.
 
Old 02-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Status: "I've been good, Santa" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: On a hill near a river
14,403 posts, read 12,289,857 times
Reputation: 5757
You need to be especially vigilant for motivated types who do not "bathe regularly."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:34 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top