Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 04:01 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times

Advertisements

Maude Kipz:

Thanks for writing. I'm a big lover of quotation marks! Quoting certain words and phrases seem to make them "come alive." (At least to me anyway.)

I don't care if my quotes seem to go against what our English teachers taught us in school concerning the "rules of grammar."

Using quotes just really seems to "fit me." It gives me a chance emphasis (or stress) certain words of phrases when I write something. (Whether it's an article or letter to a friend.)

And the truth is, I tend to be a non-conformist in most areas of life. How about you?

I enjoyed all you wrote about yuppies. They are definitely "putty" in the hands of corporations when it comes to name-brands...costly, designer clothes..."high-end cars"...and "fancy toys" (of all kind) as you mentioned, in your post.

Thanks for writing...CK

Old 08-19-2009, 04:15 PM

Chromekitty:

Thanks for writing. You know, I've never heard yuppies referred to as "crunchies" before. Thanks for the new info!!

I feel a little bit concerned because I tend to be fond of "crunchy foods" myself. Heaven forbid, I hope people won't mistake me for a yuppie just because I love to "crunch!!" What type of "crunch foods" do the yuppies in your area seem to prefer the most? I'm sure that their diet and their list of favorite foods is probably a lot different than mine.

Good that you mentioned cell phones in your post. (And texting, SUV's, etc.) You brought up some great points! Thanks!! More soon....CK

Old 08-19-2009, 04:18 PM

Boompa: I like what you wrote...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Problem with Yuppies is, you let two in and soon you're infested.
They pay too much for everything driving the prices up which excludes the locals

Old 08-19-2009, 04:58 PM

ChrisC:

Thanks for writing. I agree with what you wrote....I guess a lot of parents who went through the Depression did want "more" for their kids. They never wanted to see their kids "suffer" in any way, shape or form. And, these type of parents didn't really look ahead into the future to see how their permissiveness and generosity might affect their kids when they became adults.

I had a different kind of upbringing even though I was an only child. Because I was the only child my parents had...they said that they wanted to go out of their way to make sure that I didn't end up "spoiled." (And this is what they did!) At Christmas, I received something nice to wear and only one toy that I wanted....Same goes for my birthday.

As the years rolled by, I really appreciated the thought and effort that both my Mom and Dad put into buying me the "one article of clothing." Whoa, they took a lot of time to really get a "feel" for what I might want. And, they both went out shopping together...on a crusade to make their daughter happy. And, I loved, loved, loved every single dress, blouse, skirt, bathrobe (etc.) that they bought for me!!

My parents taught me so many wonderful things through the years. I can still hear them say: "Don't put on airs...Don't act like you are better than other people....Stay down to earth" and so much MORE!! My parents weren't "perfect people" in all respects...but they were definitely "sensible people" who had a lot of "common sense" about life. (And raising kids.) I'm sure glad that my parents went out of their way not to "spoil me" in regards to "buying stuff"...or "buying out stores" on holidays, etc. They "spoiled me with love" and this is what matters the most of all to me.

Thanks again for writing and more soon, CK

Old 08-19-2009, 05:29 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLangben View Post
What is wrong with being successful?

What is wrong with being smart enough to earn the degrees and have the skills necessary to have the high paying jobs that "yuppies" call their careers?

Since when did having a well paying career and a lavish lifestyle become a social taboo in this Country?
I think many people (including me oftentimes) are fed up with what we see as excessive artificiality, materialism, and a sense of entitlement. I would qualify myself as a yuppie-in-training in many aspects, but not many of those derided in this post. I ama yuppie in the most literal sense: a young, urban, professional. However, I also have the simple things in life as my priorities: family, friends, enjoying the outdoors, etc... I think many people have lost this, and put their happiness in things.
I'm extreeeemely socially liberal, but I kinda turn into an old man when I talk about materialism, people's financial choices, and work ethic.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:30 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,003,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLangben View Post
What is wrong with being successful?

What is wrong with being smart enough to earn the degrees and have the skills necessary to have the high paying jobs that "yuppies" call their careers?

Since when did having a well paying career and a lavish lifestyle become a social taboo in this Country?
Some yuppies are shallow, insecure snobs and this turns people off. With this being said, why worry about this. I don't worry about what a yuppie thinks or does. I only worry about taking care of my family and getting ahead. My advice is to just ignore them. There harmless.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:50 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
The "crunchie" mantra appears to be:
*I can do all things through me, who strengthens me.*

And of course..."But enough about me, let's talk about you! What do you think of me?"

Old 08-19-2009, 06:54 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
And of course..."But enough about me, let's talk about you! What do you think of me?"

yes, yes! LOL

Old 08-19-2009, 07:18 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Chromekitty:

Thanks for writing. You know, I've never heard yuppies referred to as "crunchies" before. Thanks for the new info!!

I feel a little bit concerned because I tend to be fond of "crunchy foods" myself. Heaven forbid, I hope people won't mistake me for a yuppie just because I love to "crunch!!" What type of "crunch foods" do the yuppies in your area seem to prefer the most? I'm sure that their diet and their list of favorite foods is probably a lot different than mine.

Good that you mentioned cell phones in your post. (And texting, SUV's, etc.) You brought up some great points! Thanks!! More soon....CK
My FIL coined the phrase *crunchie*. It derived from a breakfast cereal commericial. Imagine that! LOL

No worries about your choice of crunchie foods, I am sure that you are far more advanced than they seem to be.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:28 PM

806 posts, read 2,959,742 times
I guess having fun, eating at great restaurants, having nice things and being young is a curse huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates