U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 07:39 PM

8,219 posts, read 11,122,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
I guess having fun, eating at great restaurants, having nice things and being young is a curse huh?

Not a curse at all..but one day you will grow up and understand.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:46 PM

756 posts, read 1,657,376 times
Yuppies drive BMW's or Beemers.... Soccer Moms drive SUV's. Serial killers drive vans or volkswagons.

Really, I thought yuppies (the people that defined that whole thing) are really in their 40's or 50's now and have changed a bit.

I like the new "McMansioners" word. The neighborhood I live in is becoming a "tear down" neighborhood because of these people (three and counting.) Our homes are older brick homes on huge lots and these people buy a home then bull-doze it and put up a home that is actually cheaper built (yes I mean cheaper not less expensive) than a mobile home. They also take the lot and split it into three or sometimes four lots which completely ruins the feel of the neighborhood. On second thought, I guess this does exhibit some of the yuppie traits of brand name over quality.

If I wanted a newer looking home with the latest molted brick look, I would buy one in a damn neighborhood with said homes already in it as opposed to ruining the look of an existing neighborhood.

sorry for the rant... Just sitting here looking through the trees at the latest $900,000 home (that buys a lot in Alabama folks, or it should anyways) that isn't worth $150,000 other than the brick on the outside-nice color and not molted.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:10 PM

8,219 posts, read 11,122,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984vt View Post
Yuppies drive BMW's or Beemers.... Soccer Moms drive SUV's. Serial killers drive vans or volkswagons.

Really, I thought yuppies (the people that defined that whole thing) are really in their 40's or 50's now and have changed a bit.

I like the new "McMansioners" word. The neighborhood I live in is becoming a "tear down" neighborhood because of these people (three and counting.) Our homes are older brick homes on huge lots and these people buy a home then bull-doze it and put up a home that is actually cheaper built (yes I mean cheaper not less expensive) than a mobile home. They also take the lot and split it into three or sometimes four lots which completely ruins the feel of the neighborhood. On second thought, I guess this does exhibit some of the yuppie traits of brand name over quality.

If I wanted a newer looking home with the latest molted brick look, I would buy one in a damn neighborhood with said homes already in it as opposed to ruining the look of an existing neighborhood.

sorry for the rant... Just sitting here looking through the trees at the latest $900,000 home (that buys a lot in Alabama folks, or it should anyways) that isn't worth $150,000 other than the brick on the outside-nice color and not molted.

That truly is a shame that they are doing that in your community. $900,000 buys a lot anywhere.

But unfortunately, that is what the *crunchies* do...screw stuff up and **** people off on a daily basis.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:38 AM

252 posts, read 575,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
I guess having fun, eating at great restaurants, having nice things and being young is a curse huh?
Its not a curse at all. I'm young and love all those things too.

Thing is, yuppies are more focused on the name of what their thing is, instead of whether or not its great to begin with. They don't want quality or fun. They want a brand name. Whether its an actual brand or a certain town or a product licensed by a certain person, they want it because of the name associated with that product.

Imagine if someone tried to sell you a pile of dried cow dung for $300. You'd laugh and say no. But then they told you that this was "designer dung from cows fed a special diet to make their dung smell unique and has been licensed by Tommy Hilfiger" that you were to put in your living room to scent the air. "All the celebrities have signature dung scents" you are told. If you are a yuppie, you NEED to buy this dung. All your friends are going to have one and you'll be inferior without this $300 pile of dried cowpatty. Suddenly people are paying $300+ for dried manure and it hurts the room-freshener industry dramatically. Anyone that is anyone has a home that smells like poop.

Most yuppies enjoy life through a very narrow scope. They don't appreciate things that are beyond what is "in" because they think it is the name alone that makes something great. They would rather have ok food at Bobby Flay's than great food at some mom-and-pop place that serves authentic southwest. They'd rather own 100 sq feet in a talked-about neighborhood than 10,000 sq feet in a very nice, but overlooked neighborhood. They'd rather own crap with a logo on it than something that could be compared to art.

Its not a curse to enjoy life, but I personally find it a curse to be unable to think for one's self. You're gonna miss a lot if you keep yourself in the "in" box.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:58 PM

40,058 posts, read 29,413,563 times
What is a yuppie? A yuppie is a hipster's ancestor.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:55 PM

9,879 posts, read 17,864,568 times
Hell, these same kind of people were around in the 1950s when I was kid; read "The Status Seekers" by Vance Packard if you can find it.

The toys have changed but the game hasn't. Audi is the new Buick but it's the same kind of owner.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:36 PM

48,521 posts, read 79,929,678 times
I remmeber when those people where called movers and shakers. Its just a name for those that are moving up quickly and all the trapping that go with it. its high risk many times and many will fall;some only to get backup.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:43 PM

985 posts, read 2,280,634 times
Believe it or not I've never seen a yuppie, I'm starting to think they don't really exist. Just an urban legend, like the lockness monster......

Old 08-21-2009, 05:14 AM

33,757 posts, read 31,886,840 times
I used to know someone at work like that. But his "can you top this" was always what he could get for free or discounted or upgraded. It was like a sport for him and embarrassing to the rest of us around him. He'd go into a restaurant and try to get everyone at the table a free dessert. Before he even saw his hotel room, he'd try to get it upgraded. He couldn't wait to tell you about how he got his coach seat upgraded to business class or how he got some salesman to knock $500 off of the price of something.

But, it was never about "what" he got for nothing, cheap or upgraded but I think it was more about wanting you to marvel at his ability to get something you couldn't. I think that is similar to materialistic types. It seems like they take less pleasure in the item and more pleasure in the fact that they have something you don't have or something better than what you have. You know, if someone wasn't watching them drive around in a new Mercedes, having one wouldn't be that important to them.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:37 AM

41,506 posts, read 48,866,309 times
The key to being a Yuppie is to do or buy things that will make strangers envy you. Unfortunately no one can make everybody envious and the frustration drives them mad. Yuppies are funny and pathetic. They remind me of Sisyphus and a certain rock.

One key to remaining sane is to know what you need, not necessarily what you want, and work hard enough to get it. Then spend the rest of the time enjoying what you have. The other is to care about your family and friends more than yourself.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates