U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 11:25 AM

48,897 posts, read 39,392,211 times

Advertisements

A lot of yuppies got CRUSHED in the housing correction.
They are also the type that don't tend to live within their means.

I'm sure quite a few are now recognizing that rampant consumerism has not been the wisest path to travel.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:59 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,504,424 times
This morning I found myself in a conversation with a friend about another mutual friend. I am ashamed to admit that I engaged in a very similar type of bashing to that I've read in this thread. Right now, I'm terribly ashamed of myself.

I wonder what it is about humanity that causes us to question others' motives and criticize so freely. Is it envy? Is it an attempt to justify our own choices? Is it just blatant nastiness? In my case, I think it may have been a little of all three.

I recently made a comment on another thread that I think most people are trying so hard to impress you that they don't have energy to judge you. This thread has done a good job of convincing me that I was wrong: we do seem to be capable of both posturing and judging.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 08-21-2009 at 12:17 PM..

Old 08-21-2009, 01:00 PM

48,897 posts, read 39,392,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
This morning I found myself in a conversation with a friend about another mutual friend. I am ashamed to admit that I engaged in a very similar type of bashing to that I've read in this thread. Right now, I'm terribly ashamed of myself.

I wonder what it is about humanity that causes us to question others' motives and criticize so freely. Is it envy? Is it an attempt to justify our own choices? Is it just blatant nastiness? In my case, I think it may have been a little of all three.

I recently made a comment on another thread that I think most people are trying so hard to impress you that they don't have energy to judge you. This thread has done a good job of convincing me that I was wrong: we do seem to be capable of both posturing and judging.
Some things are lifestyle choices, while some are just downright dumb.

If someone wants to have a 2 hour commute because they like to live in a certain area...well thats a lifestyle choice. I would never do that but it's not a bad or dumb move because it's relative.

If someone buys a house at the very edge of their means but decides to the decorate it extravagantly without checking their budget and as a result cannot afford to keep the home....then yeah, that's stupid and yeah I am judging them to be stupid.

I reserve the right to have my own opinions about the actions of others despite your judging me as being judgmental.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:03 PM

321 posts, read 813,750 times
The big debate where I live is "bobos" (bourgeois bohemians). This refers to people who deliberately live below their means (for example in a poor neighborhood when they can afford a nicer one).

Yes, I am a bobo, but hey, I live in Paris so I guess that a lot of yuppies might be jealous.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:42 PM

2,449 posts, read 4,670,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac2 View Post
The big debate where I live is "bobos" (bourgeois bohemians). This refers to people who deliberately live below their means (for example in a poor neighborhood when they can afford a nicer one).

Yes, I am a bobo, but hey, I live in Paris so I guess that a lot of yuppies might be jealous.
I hardly think people living below their means is a prevalent problem, or a problem at all. In fact, I don't see the debate.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:26 PM

8,219 posts, read 11,250,720 times
Quote:

This isn't bashing at all. This is called being honest.

I don't envy a soul and I am a-ok with my choices in life, nor am I a nasty person.

My post earlier about today's *crunchie* sums it up well I think as do others. If you want to say I am judging have at it, but the fact still remains there isn't one thing that has been said about this type of person that is not in fact true.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
I hardly think people living below their means is a prevalent problem, or a problem at all. In fact, I don't see the debate.

Those people are a whole lot happier than the *crunchie* crowd.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:38 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,504,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
This isn't bashing at all. This is called being honest.

I don't envy a soul and I am a-ok with my choices in life, nor am I a nasty person.

My post earlier about today's *crunchie* sums it up well I think as do others. If you want to say I am judging have at it, but the fact still remains there isn't one thing that has been said about this type of person that is not in fact true.
Truth is in the eye of the beholder.

I just wonder why this kind of thread is necessary at all. There are all sorts of accusations being hurled at anonymous people from anonymous people, and I don't understand the purpose of it. Please explain to me what this kind of belly-aching over yuppies (whoever they may be) accomplishes.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:

I just wonder why this kind of thread is necessary at all. There are all sorts of accusations being hurled at anonymous people from anonymous people, and I don't understand the purpose of it. Please explain to me what this kind of belly-aching over yuppies (whoever they may be) accomplishes.

Why is one chatting about this called bellyaching? Isn't that we are ALL here for? To chat & discuss....that is the purpose, it's not rocket science nor is it difficult.

By the words you yourself have written here you are being more judgmental than any of us who look at the crunchie and laugh at them.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:54 PM

10,336 posts, read 9,982,800 times
Quote:

Well, now that you put it like that... we may as well shut the whole forum down, because isn't that always what is going on here? Truthfully, in the whole grand scheme of things, what does any sort of bellyaching or discussion on any thread of this website accomplish?

I see it as a place to exchange ideas... and yes, bellyache at times. I never see it accomplishing much of anything per se: perhaps see some new perspectives or thoughts... but as far as accomplishing anything? No, I think talk is cheap. If you really want to accomplish something, well, this probably is not the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates