U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-21-2009, 04:11 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,453,070 times
My Dad used to say that it just wasn't "smart" to buy an expensive new "luxury" car...He felt that people who buy "high-end" cars invite "crime" into their lives. (Because these types of cars are usually the first to "get stolen.")

And even more...Dad felt that people who drive around in "fancy cars" set themselves up as a possible "target of resentment." He felt this same way about over-sized, "mansion-like" homes, over-priced "name-brand" clothes and anything else that can set people "apart" from their friends and neighbors in "BIG WAYS!!"

"Don't strut your stuff," he used to say or "you'll be sorry!!" My Dad definitely had a lot of common sense when it came to understanding "human nature."

His words live on in my head even today: "Stay modest and humble...Don't wrap your entire identity around what you own, or where you live or work...."

"Keep your feet firmly planted on the ground...Keep a low-profile in life...Don't put on airs or pretend to be someone you're not...."

"Treat other people as your equals...Don't act like you are better or above anyone else...Never come across as a snob and you won't run into problems...or resentment or backlash."

My Mom and Dad were both "down-to-earth" people. We had all kinds of interesting and lively discussions in our home through the years about "social-climbers" and the danger of "getting stuck in competition."

My parents explained that some people are very, very insecure....even though they may come across as arrogant at times. This is just their "cover" and "smoke-screen to hide all of their insecurities. People like this "strut their stuff" because they don't really view themselves as "enough" or "good enough" without all of their money and "material trappings." (Sad!!)

I could go on and on about what my parents taught me. Go figure!! When I was younger, I never thought that I'd be "quoting" my parents later on in life....I'm 60 now and my parents are "long-gone." But, they "live on" in my mind, and in my heart, and in many aspects of my life today. (And I'm glad!!)

Old 08-21-2009, 04:19 PM

32 posts, read 979 times
isn't a yuppie a fish with a long tail

Old 08-21-2009, 04:20 PM

Chromekitty:

Thanks for all of your great posts! Thanks for letting me off the hook concerning my "love of crunching!!" And to be honest, I don't think that most yuppies would like "what I eat" or probably "where I eat." (When I go out.) Basically, I tend to be a "down-home type of gal" when it comes to food and restaurants, etc. Will check the other posts and write a little more before I "call it a night."
Thanks, CK

Old 08-21-2009, 04:23 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,008,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
My Dad used to say that it just wasn't "smart" to buy an expensive new "luxury" car...He felt that people who buy "high-end" cars invite "crime" into their lives. (Because these types of cars are usually the first to "get stolen.")

And even more...Dad felt that people who drive around in "fancy cars" set themselves up as a possible "target of resentment." He felt this same way about over-sized, "mansion-like" homes, over-priced "name-brand" clothes and anything else that can set people "apart" from their friends and neighbors in "BIG WAYS!!"

"Don't strut your stuff," he used to say or "you'll be sorry!!" My Dad definitely had a lot of common sense when it came to understanding "human nature."

His words live on in my head even today: "Stay modest and humble...Don't wrap your entire identity around what you own, or where you live or work...."

"Keep your feet firmly planted on the ground...Keep a low-profile in life...Don't put on airs or pretend to be someone you're not...."

"Treat other people as your equals...Don't act like you are better or above anyone else...Never come across as a snob and you won't run into problems...or resentment or backlash."

My Mom and Dad were both "down-to-earth" people. We had all kinds of interesting and lively discussions in our home through the years about "social-climbers" and the danger of "getting stuck in competition."

My parents explained that some people are very, very insecure....even though they may come across as arrogant at times. This is just their "cover" and "smoke-screen to hide all of their insecurities. People like this "strut their stuff" because they don't really view themselves as "enough" or "good enough" without all of their money and "material trappings." (Sad!!)

I could go on and on about what my parents taught me. Go figure!! When I was younger, I never thought that I'd be "quoting" my parents later on in life....I'm 60 now and my parents are "long-gone." But, they "live on" in my mind, and in my heart, and in many aspects of my life today. (And I'm glad!!)

And people just like your father is exactly what the world needs today.
Thank you for sharing that with us.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:37 PM

ChrisC:

Thanks for writing. I turn to forums to "express myself." And also, to look at "other sides"...and raise my awareness about how other people may "view things." This is all really important and "educational" to me....I don't want to "keep my head in the sand." Or, just hang out with "yes people" who always agree with me, etc. So, forums are a "god-send" to me in many different ways and very enlightening when it comes to my growth. Do you feel that you benefit from the time that you spend on forums too? Thanks, CK

Old 08-21-2009, 04:43 PM

Chromekitty:

Thanks for your kind words about my Dad!!

I may not be on the forum every single day. (Wish I could be here everyday...but this is not always possible right now.)

We just found out that my husband has "stage 4" cancer and I need to take him around for treatments and medical care off and on during the week. And, I guess you could say that I am the "bread winner" in the family right now. (I have a lot to do each day.)

But, I love, love, love to write on the forum when I can, and read posts...and make great new friends like YOU!!! Thanks so much and more soon, CK

Old 08-21-2009, 04:50 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,008,854 times
Quote:
Chromekitty:

Thanks for your kind words about my Dad!!

I may not be on the forum every single day. (Wish I could be here everyday...but this is not always possible right now.)

We just found out that my husband has "stage 4" cancer and I need to take him around for treatments and medical care off and on during the week. And, I guess you could say that I am the "bread winner" in the family right now. (I have a lot to do each day.)

But, I love, love, love to write on the forum when I can, and read posts...and make great new friends like YOU!!! Thanks so much and more soon, CK

Dads are wonderfully special!

Please know that my thoughts & prayers are with you and your husband.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:01 PM

Chromekitty:

Thanks for writing! Thanks for your thoughts and prayers concerning my husband. (And me too!!) I'll be back soon and look for your posts. Thanks, CK

Old 08-21-2009, 05:11 PM

1,998 posts, read 2,094,702 times
Quote:
My Dad used to say that it just wasn't "smart" to buy an expensive new "luxury" car...He felt that people who buy

Your parents sound like mine. In our youth, it was called "Keeping up with the Joneses" since YUPPIE had not yet been defined.

This type of personality is also found overseas. Years back, I was looking for comfortable (cotton), but somewhat stylish, men's pants to wear as a teacher. I don't like belts so I settled on a pair of pants with a built-in pull-tie cord. I liked them so much that I looked at the label (brand) so that I could go back and buy more pairs. I have bought this brand ever since only because I know that it is what I like to wear.

I was teaching Malaysian students one day, and you need to know that they NEVER ask questions. But, this particular lecture, one student in the front row said, "Mr. Teak, can I ask a question?" Shocked, I turned around with a big smile on my face. Somebody was going to ask about the material we were covering!

"Sure, go ahead."

"What brand of pants are those?"

I stood there, I think, for about 30 seconds with a drop-jaw expression. Finally, I said something like "They are <brand name goes here>, but are not sold in Malaysia."

Old 08-21-2009, 05:20 PM

Teak:

Thanks for writing about your experience with students from Malaysia. I guess name-brands from the USA are hot commodities all over the world today. Sad that your students didn't ask more "relevant" questions about the subject you were teaching. Thanks for sharing, CK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.