U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 09:27 AM

8,293 posts, read 22,513,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
The thread is taking this kind of turn already already ?

I used to want to believe that guys turned gay because girls won't have anything to do with them but I'm leaning toward believing it may be genetic. I'm also starting to think there may also be genes determining the political leanings of people too.
This thread is, by intentional design, going to be a kick-ball for bored people. No way around it.

That said, there is no way to prove that homosexuality is or isn't genetic. There's also no way to prove that environment does or doesn't cause it.

So the argument goes round and round and round and round...

Old 08-21-2009, 09:37 AM

4,152 posts, read 9,600,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungeon View Post
I remember having this debate some time ago in a social science class. Gay people argue that they do not choose to be gay, yet being gay or having an attraction t o the same species is clearly not a behaviour intended by nature in a species that is suppose to reproduce using a male and a female. So if gays do not choose to be gay, and it is not the way nature intended most people to use their bodies, otherwise we would all be hermaprodites, then is gay a disease, hormonal imbalance, or something else. I lean towards Hormonal imbalance or mild disease of the mind but am want to hear other views.

kick ball for bored people indeed.
And a small quiz for reading comprehension people...

so, out of boredom and for the heck of it:
would you rather people be attracted to a different species?
because that's what it looks like....would that be 'gay' enough for you?

Last edited by bellalunatic; 08-21-2009 at 09:56 AM..

Old 08-21-2009, 09:52 AM

1,592 posts, read 3,005,581 times
I think it is possible that some of it is due to hormones in our drinking water. If you google "estrogen in drinking water", you will learn that water treatment plants are not getting rid of estrogen that is being flushed into the water via people's urine -- eg, women who take "The Pill". It is a known fact that fish are being affected by even trace amounts of estrogen. Male fish are taking on female characteristics! Since trace amounts of Estrogen are being found in drinking water, I've got to wonder if it is then getting into humans and affecting them as well (I know, I know, why doesn't it affect all?) It is also a known fact that Estrogen dies off in naturally warmer water and thus, you wont find as much Estrogen in drinking water supplies in warmer climates. Also, perhaps males living in rural areas may have less of a propensity to develop feminine characteristics because they tend to live on well water and/or rely on less polluted water supplies. At this time, treatment plants do not remove the Estrogen (too expensive). The penguins that "fell in love" with each other at a north German zoo undoubtedly were on city water in a cold climate. I have no political view either way, I just think it makes sense...

Old 08-21-2009, 09:59 AM

21,518 posts, read 22,798,384 times
Quote:
I used to want to believe that guys turned gay because girls won't have anything to do with them
If sexual orentation is a choice, then when did you choose to be straight? Most of my gay friends said that they knew they were "different" from a very early age. They were more interested in looking at Greg Brady than Marcia Brady, if you know what I mean. Their GI Joes and He-Man dolls gave them feelings they didn't understand. Just like you don't choose to be left-handed, you don't choose to be gay.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:00 AM

1,967 posts, read 1,529,393 times
I think its natures way of controlling human population.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:17 AM

2,871 posts, read 3,210,169 times
Its down to testosterone exposure in the womb. I'm bisexual, but I didn't choose to be attracted to both sexes I just am.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:26 AM

887 posts, read 1,338,014 times
There is no logical one size fits all-recipe to happiness for people, so why even bother to think it that way. Most people don't want to be machines, most productive for the surrounding society in all ways. Most people just try to pursue happiness, in a way they feel fits them best

Old 08-21-2009, 10:54 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,645,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungeon View Post
I remember having this debate some time ago in a social science class. Gay people argue that they do not choose to be gay, yet being gay or having an attraction to the same species is clearly not a behaviour intended by nature in a species that is suppose to reproduce using a male and a female. So if gays do not choose to be gay, and it is not the way nature intended most people to use their bodies, otherwise we would all be hermaprodites, then is gay a disease, hormonal imbalance, or something else. I lean towards Hormonal imbalance or mild disease of the mind but am want to hear other views.
Whatever 'being gay' is, the practice of Everyones sexuality needs to be reserved for behind closed doors and not turned into a public militant agenda to demand rights/entitlement and to make everyone agree that this chosen lifestyle ,by some, is completely permissable/healthy ; this would include Media ads , television programming, and going into public schools (often as early as grade school) to persuade/convince others if you feel an attraction toward the same sex then its alright to take further sexual action to solidify it .

If i felt making love to Palm Trees was an acceptable venue to express my sexuality, it certainly would not be correct to round up a great many others who shared in my philosophy...then take it to all four corners of society ! Neither should it be for whatever ones sexual preference is ---- keep it to yourself and behind closed doors. That is a reasonable request for all to do .

Old 08-21-2009, 11:49 AM

6,007 posts, read 13,209,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
I think it is possible that some of it is due to hormones in our drinking water. If you google "estrogen in drinking water", you will learn that water treatment plants are not getting rid of estrogen that is being flushed into the water via people's urine -- eg, women who take "The Pill". It is a known fact that fish are being affected by even trace amounts of estrogen. Male fish are taking on female characteristics! Since trace amounts of Estrogen are being found in drinking water, I've got to wonder if it is then getting into humans and affecting them as well (I know, I know, why doesn't it affect all?) It is also a known fact that Estrogen dies off in naturally warmer water and thus, you wont find as much Estrogen in drinking water supplies in warmer climates. Also, perhaps males living in rural areas may have less of a propensity to develop feminine characteristics because they tend to live on well water and/or rely on less polluted water supplies. At this time, treatment plants do not remove the Estrogen (too expensive). The penguins that "fell in love" with each other at a north German zoo undoubtedly were on city water in a cold climate. I have no political view either way, I just think it makes sense...
you do realize that homosexuality has existed LONG before the Pill, right? kind of debunks this whole theory

Old 08-21-2009, 11:52 AM

4,152 posts, read 9,600,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
you do realize that homosexuality has existed LONG before the Pill, right? kind of debunks this whole theory
yep! I was going to say the exact same thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates