Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2009, 08:49 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
No good scientific evidence has been put out that shows that homosexuals choose their sexual preference.
Sure. But, in like manner, there is no good scientific evidence that shows homosexuality is something people are born with.

So where does that leave us?

Old 08-31-2009, 09:04 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
I did read a hypothesis once that some childhood illness can effect the brain and make you gay. It seemed rather fishy to me, but I think it was by a scientist.

Looking it up apparently it was two guys, Gregory Cochran and Paul Ewald. It's called the "Pathogenic hypothesis of homosexuality", but even they may have not been that serious about it.

More commonly what is really meant is that homosexuality is a disorder. In the secular psychology sense this has generally been rejected as homosexuals are functional and adaptive in society without being harmful to themselves or others. (At least not anymore so than anyone else) From other religious or cultural perspectives what is meant by "functional" and "harmful" can be very different than how those terms are used in secular psychology. From that perspective homosexuality can be or is compared to say alcoholism or schizophrenia.

As for what causes homosexuality we don't know. I tend toward thinking it is a mix of genetic and social factors. Some studies indicate that birth order, hormones in utero, "gender non-conformity" in youth, and peer-interaction may have important roles. This makes sense of my, chaste, bisexuality to some degree as I have these factors to greater or lesser degrees. (While not being attracted to any male until about 14-15)

Old 08-31-2009, 09:10 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I did read a hypothesis once that some childhood illness can effect the brain and make you gay. It seemed rather fishy to me, but I think it was by a scientist.

Looking it up apparently it was two guys, Gregory Cochran and Paul Ewald. It's called the "Pathogenic hypothesis of homosexuality", but even they may have not been that serious about it.

More commonly what is really meant is that homosexuality is a disorder. In the secular psychology sense this has generally been rejected as homosexuals are functional and adaptive in society without being harmful to themselves or others. (At least not anymore so than anyone else) From other religious or cultural perspectives what is meant by "functional" and "harmful" can be very different than how those terms are used in secular psychology. From that perspective homosexuality can be or is compared to say alcoholism or schizophrenia.
Exactly where I stand.

If you compare it to alcoholisim, I believe its a good comparison.

For one, alcoholics are never cured, they are treated. They may never have a drink again, but if they ever have one drink, thats it, they are off the wagon and don't want to stop.

They are never cured, and they will always be alcoholics.

Similar situation to homosexuality. Some folks say they are cured, and there are no doubt homosexuals who have entered into a hetero lifestyle. However, they will always be homosexuals, and they choose not to be the way they were born. I'm not down on them for this, I personally wish people were themselves more, but thats not my decision to make.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:51 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,551,910 times
Again, I believe we can go on an on with data "demonstrating" it is choice, not a choice, disease, etc. The bottom line to me, they are human beings and have the same rights as all of us to pursue happiness as they see it. I do not see their lifestyle as a threat to us while we pursue happiness ourselves also.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 08-31-2009, 10:48 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Sure. But, in like manner, there is no good scientific evidence that shows homosexuality is something people are born with.

So where does that leave us?
Actually there is substantial evdence that homosexuality is a trait people are born with, much like being born left handed, which used to scare all the RW religious fanatic too.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:21 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Actually there is substantial evdence that homosexuality is a trait people are born with, much like being born left handed, which used to scare all the RW religious fanatic too.
Omaha Rocks will post links to PFOX.

A religious oriented website with an agenda, showing that homosexuals choose to be homosexuals.

Several of us posted links proving this to be false, and he then just attacks us as hating homosexuals who try and change their orientation. Of course, no one said we hated them.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:27 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Omaha Rocks will post links to PFOX.

A religious oriented website with an agenda, showing that homosexuals choose to be homosexuals.

Several of us posted links proving this to be false, and he then just attacks us as hating homosexuals who try and change their orientation. Of course, no one said we hated them.
And you'll continue to stick your head in the sand, ignore anything that doesn't agree with what you think, and continue to say the same old things.

Again... It amazes me that you are SO threatened by the fact that some homosexuals become heterosexuals. I guess it shows that you're pretty insecure, aye?

Old 08-31-2009, 11:28 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
(AxisMundi) The entire medical and mental health professions say you are quite wrong. Perhaps you should educate yourself before trying to educate your children...

Thank you for your suggestions.... actually, I am quite educated in these matters. By the way.... I am not extremely interested in what the psychological community has to offer as far as homosexuality is concerned. I am far more interested in cold hard evidence.....chromosomal abnormalities, genetic anomalies, physical PROOF etc. It's pretty hard to dispute the cold hard facts. Psychology, for the most part, is a "science" which is based upon opinions and theories. One size does NOT fit all. I think we can all take a look at good ole Dr. Freud.....drug addict, sexual pervert "the father of psychology" to see how "fact based" psychology really is. Many of the things you are referring to are based upon skewed, inaccurate information.....most likely "surveys". Hey, you raise your kids the way you want, I'll raise my kids the way I want. I base my family morals on, for the most part, biblical teachings and what I BELIEVE my God wants me to teach them. For that, I have no one but Him to answer to....whether you're comfortable with that or not.
You have, of course, every right to remain ignorant and to raise your children ignorant as well. I'm sure they will grow up to be good little Republicans for Jesus screwing up their children just as you screwed them up.

BTW, feel free to link to your source for "homosexual genetic abnormalities".

Let us compare sources, shall we?

The APA, an international peer review group of mental health professionals who use scientific methodology to determine that homosexuality is a natural, if uncommon, part of the human condition that has been present since we evolved.

As compared to...

An ancient manuscript whose every myth and miracle has been disproven by science, which when combined with it's inherent self-contradictions shows said ancient manuscript to be nothing more than a poorly written fantasy novel.

Hmm...

Guess I'll just have to choose science.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:31 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Its who the person is period. Get on with ones own life and leave the gay person to live their own life. I can guaratee the gay person is not spending time, worrying about what other people are or are not.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:44 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
You have, of course, every right to remain ignorant and to raise your children ignorant as well. I'm sure they will grow up to be good little Republicans for Jesus screwing up their children just as you screwed them up.

BTW, feel free to link to your source for "homosexual genetic abnormalities".

Let us compare sources, shall we?

The APA, an international peer review group of mental health professionals who use scientific methodology to determine that homosexuality is a natural, if uncommon, part of the human condition that has been present since we evolved.

As compared to...

An ancient manuscript whose every myth and miracle has been disproven by science, which when combined with it's inherent self-contradictions shows said ancient manuscript to be nothing more than a poorly written fantasy novel.

Hmm...

Guess I'll just have to choose science.
Hehehe....... blah, blah, blah.......blah, blah, blah, blah.....etc. Theories, theories, theories....I truly couldn't give a whit what you believe...truly. It has no bearing on my happiness, beliefs, or knowledge. Pretty much everything I learned while attending school, with the exception of math, music and English, has been revealed to be inaccurate. I prefer to go on what is logical and sensible thank you....and I certainly don't rely upon others to provide me with my sense of logic. You certainly have the right to believe whatever you choose to believe. If someday, I find out I was wrong.....well, I'm okay with that. You see, I find every experience in my life to be a learning experience. People who are desperate to be "right" all the time...I have found to be extremely insecure.....and lonely. You have a wonderful day now.... course, that's your choice, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates