U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-22-2009, 08:49 AM
 
1,310 posts, read 2,643,031 times
Reputation: 581

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
On Wednesday, August 5th, the American Psychological Association published a comprehensive report reputing the effectiveness of ex-gay (or reparative therapy) ministries. The governing body of the mental health organization examined 83 studies on sexual orientation dating back to 1960 and found no substantial evidence that homosexuality can be cured through therapy or any other means as many ex-gay ministries claim. The report urged mental health professionals not to advise clients that they can become straight through therapy or other treatments.


On your second thought, this actually proves the point that Homosexuality isn't a choice, its something you are born with.

You see, when ancient societies became to overpopulated, then more homosexuals were born. This is natures way of lowering the population.
The APA is obviously a liberal and apathetic Source ; examining only 83 case studies dating back 49 years and making a determination that Ministrys helping cure Homosexuals arent effective , is absurd . The real fact is, many thousands ARE CHANGED individuals walking a heterosexual life as the Creator intended. If you want the real unbiased scientific facts on homosexuality (with Source info.) that Liberals dont want you to know, then go here : The Facts on Homosexuality at ATRI Resource Center (http://www.johnankerberg.org/catalog/FHOM.html - broken link) . The good news is, theres real hope for the homosexual who DESIRES to exit the lifestyle and whos willing to trust God thru trained licensed specialized Counsellors to overcome the addiction.

 
Old 08-22-2009, 09:10 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,486,190 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
The neural structures of the limbic system are different in straight, gay and bisexual people (also transgender people, but I don't want to overcomplicate the argument). The most likely cause of this being differing levels of testosterone exposure in the womb or insensitivity in the fetus to male androgens.
Sure, but there's the debate - and you have to admit it's not conclusive - whether that is the cause, or the result of, homosexual leanings.
 
Old 08-22-2009, 09:12 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,486,190 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
The APA is obviously a liberal and apathetic Source ; examining only 83 case studies dating back 49 years and making a determination that Ministrys helping cure Homosexuals arent effective , is absurd . The real fact is, many thousands ARE CHANGED individuals walking a heterosexual life as the Creator intended. If you want the real unbiased scientific facts on homosexuality (with Source info.) that Liberals dont want you to know, then go here : The Facts on Homosexuality at ATRI Resource Center (http://www.johnankerberg.org/catalog/FHOM.html - broken link) . The good news is, theres real hope for the homosexual who DESIRES to exit the lifestyle and whos willing to trust God thru trained licensed specialized Counsellors to overcome the addiction.
Without question, the APA has an agenda. And without question, their research is spotty at best.

Beyond that, why do they care whether or not somebody leaves homosexuality for heterosexuality?

No wait, I know... It flies contrary to their agenda.
 
Old 08-22-2009, 09:40 AM
 
Location: London, U.K.
2,871 posts, read 3,206,069 times
Reputation: 1581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Sure, but there's the debate - and you have to admit it's not conclusive - whether that is the cause, or the result of, homosexual leanings.
I'll go with cause.......
 
Old 08-22-2009, 10:10 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,486,190 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
I'll go with cause.......
And you're welcome to make that assumption. But please admit that it's an assumption.
 
Old 08-22-2009, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 20,331,121 times
Reputation: 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
The APA is obviously a liberal and apathetic Source ; examining only 83 case studies dating back 49 years and making a determination that Ministrys helping cure Homosexuals arent effective , is absurd . The real fact is, many thousands ARE CHANGED individuals walking a heterosexual life as the Creator intended. If you want the real unbiased scientific facts on homosexuality (with Source info.) that Liberals dont want you to know, then go here : The Facts on Homosexuality at ATRI Resource Center (http://www.johnankerberg.org/catalog/FHOM.html - broken link) . The good news is, theres real hope for the homosexual who DESIRES to exit the lifestyle and whos willing to trust God thru trained licensed specialized Counsellors to overcome the addiction.
Now wait, I post a link from the American psychiatric association, and you post a link to a page where they sell religious books, and then you claim that my source is biased.

Give me a break.
 
Old 08-22-2009, 01:47 PM
 
1,310 posts, read 2,643,031 times
Reputation: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Now wait, I post a link from the American psychiatric association, and you post a link to a page where they sell religious books, and then you claim that my source is biased.

Give me a break.
So what if they sell religious books on their site ; we are all religious on something. The booklet I gave reference to lists within it, a variety of modern scientific resource data on the subject of homosexuality and the true success rate of those wanting to leave the lifestyle permanently. I would first trust a Source that cares about people versus one who is apathetic and lacking in a comprehensive study on the topic.
 
Old 08-22-2009, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic east coast
5,123 posts, read 9,430,687 times
Reputation: 9441
I think gays are created when Tinkerbell comes down from the sky and touches them with some special, glittering Fairy dust! No, I don't think that at all, just teasing.

I've had this discussion with some of my gay friends and it's hotly debated--but I've never heard it referred to as a disease by anyone whose opinion I respect.

I believe there is some scientific evidence that homosexuals have a very slight variation of chromosomes..anyone have any documentation on this? I know I read a study on this a while back...

If this is so, then gay people are born, and not created, and certainly not diseased, and only viewed that way by a certain segment of a cruel, unaccepting public who don't or won't live by the Golden Rule.

Little Dolphin has spoken. Go out and be nice to one another..we're all warm-blooded mammals sharing a fragile planet for but a brief period of time.
 
Old 08-22-2009, 04:23 PM
 
1,310 posts, read 2,643,031 times
Reputation: 581
'Little Dolphin has spoken. Go out and be nice to one another..we're all warm-blooded mammals sharing a fragile planet for but a brief period of time'

REPLY: Isnt a Mammal something that swims around in the water ? How am I a 'Mammal' if i live on land and just occasionally swim in the water when i go to the beach ?! I think someone was having you on if they told you you were a Mammal !
 
Old 08-22-2009, 04:38 PM
 
12,850 posts, read 24,511,901 times
Reputation: 18860
I have had many gay male friends (am a straight woman). Early on, I asked friend, "How did you know you were gay?" and he answered, "How do you know you're straight?" Oh.
Then he said that he saw a Troy Donahue movie when he was ten (in West Texas in the 1950s) and Donahue removed his shirt in one scence- friend said he knew two things. One, that he liked it, and two, not to tell anyone.
I think homosexuality is a normal variation, a naturally occuring thing. People can choose, for every reason, to try and live a straight life (social pressure, kids, family, community mores) but inside, they will still feel attracted to the same sex more than the "opposite."
I also observe that people fall on a spectrum, from 100 percent straight, to 100 percent gay, and all along the spectrum in between. Societal pressures can be pretty dramatic.
As for the posters who joke that getting married will end the question because there will be less sex, I do think aging and long-term relationships and lower hormone levels do have that effect on straight and gay people alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top