Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 03:54 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,051,400 times

Advertisements

'I think homosexuality is a normal variation, a naturally occuring thing. People can choose, for every reason, to try and live a straight life (social pressure, kids, family, community mores) but inside, they will still feel attracted to the same sex more than the "opposite."'

REPLY: It has been proven that the deviance can be corrected because many thousands have exited the lifestyle and are happy without it . A question you should have asked your male h.s. friend was : If you had the choice knowing that you could successfully get out of h.s.-ity and be a content heterosexual, would you be willing to go thru the hard work necessary to accomplish that ?

Old 08-22-2009, 04:04 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,134,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
'Little Dolphin has spoken. Go out and be nice to one another..we're all warm-blooded mammals sharing a fragile planet for but a brief period of time'

REPLY: Isnt a Mammal something that swims around in the water ? How am I a 'Mammal' if i live on land and just occasionally swim in the water when i go to the beach ?! I think someone was having you on if they told you you were a Mammal !
Think rvlover better look up what a mammal is~ if you aren't one that means you are a reptile?

And just because someone who was gay is living a straight lifestyle doesn't mean he is necessarily happy~ just you think so~ but then you do not even know what a mammal is!

Old 08-22-2009, 04:33 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
'I think homosexuality is a normal variation, a naturally occuring thing. People can choose, for every reason, to try and live a straight life (social pressure, kids, family, community mores) but inside, they will still feel attracted to the same sex more than the "opposite."'

REPLY: It has been proven that the deviance can be corrected because many thousands have exited the lifestyle and are happy without it . A question you should have asked your male h.s. friend was : If you had the choice knowing that you could successfully get out of h.s.-ity and be a content heterosexual, would you be willing to go thru the hard work necessary to accomplish that ?
No it hasn't.

You keep saying that, and I've shown you where the APA, actual doctors have proven it doesn't work.

Yet you keep saying it. Go ahead chicken little, the sky is falling.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:34 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
REPLY: Isnt a Mammal something that swims around in the water ? How am I a 'Mammal' if i live on land and just occasionally swim in the water when i go to the beach ?! I think someone was having you on if they told you you were a Mammal !

Huh? Do you have 'mammal' confused with fish? Google "mammal' and I think you'll see that the human species are indeed, warm-blooded mammals. Are you perhaps a different life form--from Planet Fammal? Or Mammish?

Old 08-22-2009, 08:38 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
Quote:
Isnt a Mammal something that swims around in the water ? How am I a 'Mammal' if i live on land and just occasionally swim in the water when i go to the beach ?! I think someone was having you on if they told you you were a Mammal !
OMG ! All creatures that have teats, boobs, breasts etc that their babies feed from are mammals and that includes people.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:42 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,427,891 times
Gays are just another part of our population. I am sure not everyone was intended to reproduce. Gay males have a function in society as do female lesbians. Its illogical to think that everyone should have sex with the opposite sex just because only a man and a woman produce a child. Sometimes , sex is just sex and it doesn't hurt me or you that gays want to have sex with their gay friend or their sex toy. If they are adult, they have the right to sleep with another willing adult be it man , woman ,or alien. We are not their mommy and daddy telling them "Don't sleep with your boyfriend cus hes a boy like you. You're going to get cooties". Get real.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:00 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
It's not somthing worth worrying about. If you disregard the whole "adam and eve" thing it's possible that there were "sexes" different than what we have now somewhere along the evolutionary path.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:04 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,327,366 times
gay-ness can be found everywhere in nature, so that includes humans. We just make a huge deal out of it, where animals don't...we should just accept it and move on; treat it exactly like we do hetero, why not?

Old 08-23-2009, 05:38 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungeon View Post
I remember having this debate some time ago in a social science class. Gay people argue that they do not choose to be gay, yet being gay or having an attraction to the same species is clearly not a behaviour intended by nature in a species that is suppose to reproduce using a male and a female. So if gays do not choose to be gay, and it is not the way nature intended most people to use their bodies, otherwise we would all be hermaprodites, then is gay a disease, hormonal imbalance, or something else. I lean towards Hormonal imbalance or mild disease of the mind but am want to hear other views.
Firstly, legitimate mental health professionals agree that heterosexuality and homosexuality are BOTH natural occurances in the human race. See link to APA below.

Secondly, there is NO diagnosis code for homosexuality, so it is not a "disease" or "hormonal imbalance" in the least. I invite you to list a diagnosis code from any recognized source to prove me wrong, including the ICD, ICPC, DSM-IV, or any other source.

Lastly, nature doesn't "intend" anything, it is a not a sentient being and cannot think, intend, or plan ahead.

From the APA...

What Is Sexual Orientation?
Sexual orientation is an enduring emotional, romantic, sexual, or affectional attraction toward others. It is easily distinguished from other components of sexuality including biological sex, gender identity (the psychological sense of being male or female), and the social gender role (adherence to cultural norms for feminine and masculine behavior).
Sexual orientation exists along a continuum that ranges from exclusive heterosexuality to exclusive homosexuality and includes various forms of bisexuality. Bisexual persons can experience sexual, emotional, and affectional attraction to both their own sex and the opposite sex. Persons with a homosexual orientation are sometimes referred to as gay (both men and women) or as lesbian (women only).
Sexual orientation is different from sexual behavior because it refers to feelings and self-concept. Individuals may or may not express their sexual orientation in their behaviors.
What Causes a Person To Have a Particular Sexual Orientation?
There are numerous theories about the origins of a person's sexual orientation. Most scientists today agree that sexual orientation is most likely the result of a complex interaction of environmental, cognitive and biological factors. In most people, sexual orientation is shaped at an early age. There is also considerable recent evidence to suggest that biology, including genetic or inborn hormonal factors, play a significant role in a person's sexuality.
It's important to recognize that there are probably many reasons for a person's sexual orientation, and the reasons may be different for different people.
Is Sexual Orientation a Choice?
No, human beings cannot choose to be either gay or straight. For most people, sexual orientation emerges in early adolescence without any prior sexual experience. Although we can choose whether to act on our feelings, psychologists do not consider sexual orientation to be a conscious choice that can be voluntarily changed.

APA Help Center - Health & Emotional Wellness - "Sexual Orientation and Homosexuality"

My view? People should educate themselves on matters before making comments.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:48 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,581 times
Quote:
REPLY: horsehockey.

Every single "born again straight" person I've come across, the ones who don't commit suicide anyways, are either...

1. Never homosexual to begin with, and are either bi-sexual or were merely participating in biological sex (medical term, see my above reply to the OP).

2. Never homosexual in the first place and are straight plants working for the Christian Church.

Also, would you be willing to go through the hard work of becoming gay? What? No? Of course not, it disgusts you, just as living with someone of the opposite gender and/or having sex with them disgusts gays.

BTW, I would LOVE to see your legitimate, scientifically based source for "thousands" leaving a "lifestyle", when it is hardly a matter of choice nor a "lifestyle". Do that and I'll show you MY sources for an estimated ten to thirty million legitimate homosexuals in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates