Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2009, 06:55 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,952,037 times

Advertisements

Ill just be forthcoming in saying that I cant find the specific article that stated such right now...I read it a couple of months ago.

However, I am able to direct you to many other online sources that are also in accord to that theory.

I didnt want to just pull some random article for the sole purpose of reinforcing my statement, because I know none of them are actually the deposition to which I am referring.

Would you like to see some of those links?

Old 09-14-2009, 07:17 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,508,727 times
Sigmund Freud believed all human beings were innately bisexual, and that they become heterosexual or homosexual as a result of their experiences with parents and others (Freud, 1905). Looking for a link.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Sigmund Freud believed all human beings were innately bisexual, and that they become heterosexual or homosexual as a result of their experiences with parents and others (Freud, 1905). Looking for a link.

Thats exactly right..and The Kinsey Scale has submitted similar theory.

How to Know If You Are Bisexual: Sexuality, Birth Control & STD Facts | eHow.com

Bisexuality

Bisexuality 101: Am I bisexual?

here are a couple of links.

Again, Im not stating that these are the end-all-be-all to the debate about sexuality. Nor should they or the Kinsey Scale be assumed to be any conclusive measurement of sexuality. It was just something I had read in passing.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:34 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,481,910 times
I don't even like the idea that we classify people by what they do with their genitals. And normally, we don't. For example:

For the most part, there's no name for guys who prefer to have sex with blond girls.

There's no name for guys who prefer oral sex.

There's no name for guys who enjoy anal sex with women.

So why do we need a specific name for guys who like to have sex with other guys?

Its not like they are a different kind of human being. They are normal people, just like anyone else, who happen to like to do a little something different in bed then other people.

We don't sit around arguing whether guys who like blondes is caused by nature or nurture. We don't care if it is the upbringing that causes some guys to like oral sex. We shouldn't be so interested in the gay question either.

Its just another variety of sexual expression. I don't have to give my approval to other peoples desires, and I sure don't ask them to validate my desires.

Really, we should just let it go.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:36 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,397,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Ill just be forthcoming in saying that I cant find the specific article that stated such right now...I read it a couple of months ago.

However, I am able to direct you to many other online sources that are also in accord to that theory.

I didnt want to just pull some random article for the sole purpose of reinforcing my statement, because I know none of them are actually the deposition to which I am referring.

Would you like to see some of those links?
No thank you. I'm aware now of the studies of which you speak from your second reply above.

Frued has been proven incorrect in his assumptions by his modern collegues.

Yay for science!

Old 09-14-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post

Frued has been proven incorrect in his assumptions by his modern collegues.

Yay for science!
lol...I read the same.

What are your thoughts on the position of A. Kinsey?

Old 09-14-2009, 07:57 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,397,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
lol...I read the same.

What are your thoughts on the position of A. Kinsey?
IMHO, quite a bit of his research seems quite unscientific.

Of example is the "Kinsey Report" whcih utlized pedophiles to determine whether or not pre-pubesent children have orgasms. Hardly a credible source for several reasons.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
IMHO, quite a bit of his research seems quite unscientific.

Of example is the "Kinsey Report" whcih utlized pedophiles to determine whether or not pre-pubesent children have orgasms. Hardly a credible source for several reasons.
Yeah, that would sure put a kink in his credibility.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:08 PM

40,919 posts, read 48,863,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I don't even like the idea that we classify people by what they do with their genitals. And normally, we don't. For example:

For the most part, there's no name for guys who prefer to have sex with blond girls.

There's no name for guys who prefer oral sex.

There's no name for guys who enjoy anal sex with women.

So why do we need a specific name for guys who like to have sex with other guys?

Its not like they are a different kind of human being. They are normal people, just like anyone else, who happen to like to do a little something different in bed then other people.

We don't sit around arguing whether guys who like blondes is caused by nature or nurture. We don't care if it is the upbringing that causes some guys to like oral sex. We shouldn't be so interested in the gay question either.

Its just another variety of sexual expression. I don't have to give my approval to other peoples desires, and I sure don't ask them to validate my desires.

Really, we should just let it go.
If we use the term gay, can't we call these other guys happy ?

Old 09-15-2009, 08:50 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,638,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Again, you are welcome to your opinion, but it isn't based on evidence
That's where you're wrong. It is based on applying logic and common sense to a long lifetime of accumulated evidence collected from a wide variety of daily life experience. And, most importantly, my mind had always been open to believing what I see for myself - in stark contrast to those of you who feel compelled to trump your own instinct and common sense with the opinions of outside forces you believe to be "in charge".

You didn't take exception to my guess that you are younger than my son, so I'll assume until you say otherwise that is the case. Perhaps 1979 in your user name was the year you were born?

If that be the case then as an adult or even adolescent you have never known a free thinking environment. You "think" what you think you think today as a result of carefully planned social engineering. You never would have arrived at the point of view you are espousing but for powerful outside forces. Did you attend public schools? If so, and you are in the age group I've guessed, I need say no more.

I have to chuckle when you refer to me as being set in my ways. It has been said that some people are so open minded that their brains have fallen out of their head. Which end of the scale would you rather be closer to?

What you don't realize and, again I'm making an age assumption here, is that your generation is the most conformed and controlled generation in modern history. My mind is actually far more open than that of most much younger people simply because I feel free to think what I truly think. I'm not afraid to consider or maintain positions that were declared taboo years ago by the PC police. I doubt you begin to understand the handicap you work from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates