Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 01:23 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
OK, this isn't specifically about gayness. More about the psychiatry biz. I'm going to try to illustrate how it's bias is toward keeping folks passive rather than competitive.

Case 1) Walk into a psychiatrist and say, "Doc, I feel like Conan the Barbarian on the inside, please give me steroids and smart pills to make me competitive in today's world!".

The Dr.: "Hmm... sounds like you have some self esteem problems... and are possibly depressed... maybe even schizophrenic or psychotic... perhaps you need some SSRI's..."

Case 2) Walk into a psychiatrist and say, "Doc, I feel like a woman on the inside, can I have a vagina and breasts?"

The Dr.: "Hmm... Ok, we can cut your weiner off, give you breasts and a vagina, but only after you've lived as a woman for a period of time... and to help with your depression we have some SSRI's..."

Seems the Dr's will do anything that won't make you more competitive in society than them. I mean really, why would a Dr. want to create a superior athlete that could make more $$$ than himself and have higher societal standing? Not after all those years of school, that's for sure! LOL!

But... wanna become a transgendered Frankenstien experiment, well that's OK. No threat to Dr.'s standing there, right???

Yeah, right, tell me again howe the psychiatry biz is just so full of objective minds.
I would take up that gauntlet if you would offer a reasonable argument.

Your comments above are flwed in one basic aspect. Homosexuality and Transgender are two completely seperate and unrelated concerns.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
There you go again, calling a group of *opinions* scientific fact, LOL!

Look, bottom line is, I've had frank and open discussions with some of these experts and pinned them down. At least one said, "We often don't know, but by giving these things names we can get insurance money to help those that have what we can offer at this point in time."

That was about all I really needed to hear.

It would take a very long time to go over every incongruency I've encountered out there. I suggest you try to be as objective as *you* can and go look too see if there's truth in what I'm saying.

You might be surprised at what you find once you stop being impressed by medical and scientific sounding terminology.

(BTW, I'd say the lack of a way of establishing a false positive is pretty condemning of a diagnostic technique as accurate. I'd also say that a subjective opinion rendered in a "clinical hour" lacks a certain amount of objectivity too. How many kids that were just being kids have been fed ritalin on such grounds?

And, FWIW I do have a degree in the sciences. Logic is logic, subjective is subjective, and the mental sciences are full of opinions. This is the industry that brought us the Dr. Freedman's Lobotomobile. Geezus, what more needs be said?)
Firstly, a degree in what? It cannot be any of the sciences if you think that peer review is a "collection of opinions" and doesn't matter.

BTW, which profession prescribes ritialin most, medical or mental.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:46 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
"...look at things from every angle.....actually educate themselves..."

Sounds like something you need to do. As an... oh step back... nurse and billing coder.... *you* are sooo highly educated, LOL!

You're at a level in your trade where you are still impressed with your "superiors" and are not yet back to thinking for yourself. You've drank the cool aid and haven't yet realized it.

You might someday. You might.

I've seen this in many friends at your level in health care. Not a new phenomenon for me. Saddens me every time I see it.

One more mind taken over.

Do you really think that the only education I possess is from the classroom? Do you REALLY assume that the only opinions I have are ones gleaned from my "superiors". Oh LOL..... really, you don't know me at all... and anyone who does know me, including every instructor I've ever had in the nearly 5 years of higher education I've put in, would scoff at your remark dear poster. Anyone, including probably every superior I've had in the workforce in any field would testify that I am never inferior for long...temporarily ignorant, yes, but there is always a remedy for that. I do not confine my thinking to a little box and never automatically believe what I hear as the truth. I won't automatically argue a point, however, I will research like a bloodhound everything put in front of me. Oh...and big pharma?..... yeah, I won't even GO there.....please!

Again.....LOL....your remarks about my education and/or mind are extremely laughable.....you're a real comic. If you weren't so bent on trying to puff yourself up and make yourself look important, you wouldn't have put yourself out there to look like such a buffoon....but then, maybe there are folks out there who would find you impressive and well...even superior. I choose to surround myself with highly intelligent people who are capable of thinking outside of the box...in doing so, my intelligence is increased and my theories are challenged...by intelligent people. It's awfully easy to think yourself superior when you surround yourself with those of inferior intellect.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:49 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
We have long known that those who share Axis' point of view are ideologically driven. The homosexuality is inborn and "not a choice" position is the only one that will get them where they want to go politically and is an attempt to create equivalency to the discrimination that black Americans suffered historically. I certainly don't buy it and I know that many black people are offended by that comparison attempt and rightly so.

But it is also becoming more clear from his writings that Axis is obsessed with how hetero he appears. Given the way the PC powers that be have framed this issue today, those under their influence have good reason to feel that they must speak loudly in strong support of the gay agenda to demonstrate to them their "security" with their own sexuality.
I agree....and tried to rep you....guess they want me to spread it around. That's a bit hard to do though, isn't it? ...when there are so few intelligent comments here. Well...... here's a REP for you anyway.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
We have long known that those who share Axis' point of view are ideologically driven. The homosexuality is inborn and "not a choice" position is the only one that will get them where they want to go politically and is an attempt to create equivalency to the discrimination that black Americans suffered historically. I certainly don't buy it and I know that many black people are offended by that comparison attempt and rightly so.

But it is also becoming more clear from his writings that Axis is obsessed with how hetero he appears. Given the way the PC powers that be have framed this issue today, those under their influence have good reason to feel that they must speak loudly in strong support of the gay agenda to demonstrate to them their "security" with their own sexuality.
Or, as you refuse to dril thourgh your bigotry, we are indeed correct, and the current discrimination isn't founded on anything by religion and/or "ick".

BTW, taking one's arguments and attempting to turn them around, as you did above with your "hetero" comments can hardly be qualified as debating.

And feel MORE than free to show us this "gay agenda" you anti-gay people keep spouting about.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:11 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
OK, this isn't specifically about gayness. More about the psychiatry biz. I'm going to try to illustrate how it's bias is toward keeping folks passive rather than competitive.

Case 1) Walk into a psychiatrist and say, "Doc, I feel like Conan the Barbarian on the inside, please give me steroids and smart pills to make me competitive in today's world!".

The Dr.: "Hmm... sounds like you have some self esteem problems... and are possibly depressed... maybe even schizophrenic or psychotic... perhaps you need some SSRI's..."

Case 2) Walk into a psychiatrist and say, "Doc, I feel like a woman on the inside, can I have a vagina and breasts?"

The Dr.: "Hmm... Ok, we can cut your weiner off, give you breasts and a vagina, but only after you've lived as a woman for a period of time... and to help with your depression we have some SSRI's..."

Seems the Dr's will do anything that won't make you more competitive in society than them. I mean really, why would a Dr. want to create a superior athlete that could make more $$$ than himself and have higher societal standing? Not after all those years of school, that's for sure! LOL!

But... wanna become a transgendered Frankenstien experiment, well that's OK. No threat to Dr.'s standing there, right???

Yeah, right, tell me again howe the psychiatry biz is just so full of objective minds.
I don't think either example encompasses diganosis and/or psychiatric care. This is just a guess on my part because I've never been to a psychiatrist, but I have read a little on gender identity disorder, which is largely influenced by a well known Neurobiologist, Ben Barres. You can read about him here...Ben Barres - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

He's also very good about responding to emails, providing folk are respectful I assume, if you're interested. Point being, of all the stories I've read or vids I've seen about transgendered folk, it's not something that just strikes fancy. Either way, Ben has great things to say about the importance of self-identified gender.

OTOH, I agree IRT some kids being over-medicated and unscrupulous physicians not taking care/being careful and thoughtful. One of my brothers was wrongfully prescribed head meds as a teen. He is gay, and his mother (my step-mother) made it difficult for him. She was the problem, not his head.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:22 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
I agree....and tried to rep you....guess they want me to spread it around. That's a bit hard to do though, isn't it? ...when there are so few intelligent comments here. Well...... here's a REP for you anyway.
Well thank you..it's the thought that counts.

Yes, reppable posts can be hard to find, especially on a topic as heavily patrolled by the PC police as this one has been for years. Most people collapse and cower at the inane question "when did you choose to be heterosexual"? and have been bamboozled into thinking that any hesitation to support anything and everything gay is equivalent to saying black people should still have separate drinking fountains.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
I agree...
Agree with what, specifically? That gender orientation is not inborn? From what I have read, and from what I have experienced, it seems to be the case.

As an anecdote, I have an adopted brother. I also have a twin brother who is the typical macho Italian guy. We were all raised pretty much the same; Catholic, big family, NJ (yea, 10 strikes right there lol), etc. My little brother is gay. My twin (we're 10 yrs older) called it when he was 6 yrs old. His favorite movie was cinderfella. He had best girl friends. He was sweet and delicate. Ahhh, he fit so many stereotypes in HS (theater being one and quite talented).

When he came out to me at 14 (crying) I wasn't surprised. Fast forward several years...he, like so many that are adopted, wanted to find his birth mother, father, etc. What did he find? A blood brother, and uncle that were both gay. His father is bi. That's striking to me. My dad, who also adopted me and my twin, is pretty 'manly'. He was a body builder. He wore a cowboy hat through out the 80's. He's a guy's guy, and so is my twin. My little bro, tho? Not so much. It's how he's always been.

Now, he's finished his Master's in Library science. He's dating a sweet (male) medical student and all is good. But, I simply cannot buy into the idea that he simply made a choice. I watched his torment. He so wanted to be straight. There was simply nothing he could do about it. Again, the same way there is little you can do about the fact that you are attracted to men.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Well thank you..it's the thought that counts.

Yes, reppable posts can be hard to find, especially on a topic as heavily patrolled by the PC police as this one has been for years. Most people collapse and cower at the inane question "when did you choose to be heterosexual"? and have been bamboozled into thinking that any hesitation to support anything and everything gay is equivalent to saying black people should still have separate drinking fountains.
Discrimination is discrimination. I've reviewed your previous posts and you cry discrimination at whimsy. Why in the world you fail to recognize documented discrimination, like marriage laws, as opposed to real poor choices, is beyond me.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:37 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Discrimination is discrimination. I've reviewed your previous posts and you cry discrimination at whimsy. Why in the world you fail to recognize documented discrimination, like marriage laws, as opposed to real poor choices, is beyond me.
I wrote a response to this and then thought to myself....I'd better edit it a bit so as to comply with the terms of service. By the time I finished editing, most of it was gone.

So lets just say with this you've solidified your level of credibility at a level too low to warrant any further notice from me to anything you post. Have a nice day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates