U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:38 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,707,438 times

Advertisements

Sexuality is hardwired into the brain. Enculturation has very little to do with whether someone will be gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgendered.

You'd think people would be just a little more enlightened in the 21st century.

Sheesh....

Old 09-30-2009, 11:21 PM

2,255 posts, read 4,806,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Sexuality is hardwired into the brain. Enculturation has very little to do with whether someone will be gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgendered.

You'd think people would be just a little more enlightened in the 21st century.

Sheesh....
Here, let me help enlighten you as to Science's role in screwing up nature and human beings. It'll take some bit of reading, but since you enjoy and aspired to be one of the 21st Century's 'enlightened ones' it should be a piece of cake.

Our Stolen Future: Home

Old 10-01-2009, 12:49 AM

3,141 posts, read 3,982,306 times
[quote=CrownVic95;10989159]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post

Thank you for sharing this as I think this kind of scenario, generally speaking, explains the vast majority of homosexual behavior. Misguided, insecure, and confused young people drawn into a lifestyle promoted and glorified by extremists on the political fringe.
Sorry if what I wrote led you to believe that my associate was 'drawn into' the gay lifestyle. Actually, he has nothing to do with the gay community. My other gay collegues hate him, and he treats them like they're invisible. He dated debutantes into his twenties, and tried very hard to be 'interested' in them. It's important to stress that this guy is completely incapable of attraction to females. His first sexual encounter happened following Grad School, after he realized that the title-holding bodybuilders he saw in magazines would date a guy with enough cash.

Today, he has encounters with the most un-gay men you can imagine. They're married, muscular, tow-truck drivers/contractors/ranchers/former football stars: guys nobody would suspect of playing for both teams. But he only started with the married 'straight' guys in his thirties, after the bodybuilding finally paid off, and he finally got the courage to change in the locker room. The married men got a look at his equine attributes, and the rest is history. But I think that many moons pass between encounters.

If his 'dating' practices are anything like his furniture acquisition, he gets lucky maybe twice a year. He had to be sure his concert grand (which he never intended to have played, since he does not entertain...ever) was the absolute longest one in production, and then had to be sure he was getting it at a distressed price. His bed had to be not only a real Prudent Mallard, but an exceptionally fine and large example. The wardrobe in his bedroom is thirteen feet tall and nine feet wide, from a major house in England. I wonder how many Rosewood trees it took to make that thing. There had to be twin antique Venetian sofas in the drawing room, and you could have bought twin houses for what they cost. The chandeliers could only be Rock Crystal, "Not that cheap Swarovski ****." (But the roof on the McMansion is Fiberglass Shingle, and the floors are the cheapest real marble he could find. My friend is no fool. If there's a demographic downturn in the neighborhood, he's gone tomorrow, with the portable wealth.). One wing of the house, and the entire second floor, are completely devoid of furnishings, because he moves with such maddeningly slow and focused deliberation (but in business, he's so fast, you don't see him strike).

So I'm sure it takes forever for him to find a married dude who looks and acts like Brett Favre, and one who looks like Marty Stouffer ("But before they ruined his hair"), and one who looks like Mark McGwire. His latest heartthrob is Manu Bennett ("But only with a beard and bangs, like in Thirty Days of Darkness, and he's gotta have that deep, deep voice.").

So again, I've got to stress that this guy is unlikely to have ever been mislead or lured into anything. This man wields a lot of influence, did so in college, did so as a minion of another power broker... and today is one of the puppet-masters pulling the public's strings. My friend is the one doing the promoting and glorifying of lifestyles, and apparently has been a merchandising Svengali since High School. His sexual orientation is virtually the only thing that not he nor anyone else can change. If there had not been a gay option, he would have been celibate, bitter, and exceedingly dangerous. Some of the world's most destructive religions and political movements have been shaped by men much like him. Be very glad he has a sexual outlet.

(I've changed certain details, in order to protect the powerful)

Old 10-01-2009, 01:23 AM

24,826 posts, read 26,962,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
If sexual orentation is a choice, then when did you choose to be straight? Most of my gay friends said that they knew they were "different" from a very early age. They were more interested in looking at Greg Brady than Marcia Brady, if you know what I mean. Their GI Joes and He-Man dolls gave them feelings they didn't understand. Just like you don't choose to be left-handed, you don't choose to be gay.
The GI Joe example really rings true for me. Except for me it was my Star Trek action figures. At age 5 I remember pulling their pants down only to be sexually frustrated because they didn't mimic the true male anatomy sans pants.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:26 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,646,402 times
many could go either way. its a cultivated taste like the taste for beer, we are not born liking beer.
the danger in which either way we grow is in seeing sexuality as our identity, it never is, ever.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:50 AM

4,529 posts, read 4,752,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Well perhaps we should.... yes, perhaps we should! Why not? After all, they don't know WHY it occurs. That's just absurd of course, they DO know that this is the case in many situations. Even those who are born "transgendered" are belittled and emotionally abused into thinking that they're not masculine enough or not feminine enough. Perhaps they're just perfect and are exactly as they're meant to be. After all, the sick ones are the ones who think there's something wrong with a woman who isn't feminine enough...or a man isn't masculine enough. Who sets the standards? Who has that right?
Firstly, one's sexuality is inherent, THAT is agreed upon as illustrated by such scientific per rebiew groups as the APA.

Secondly, I will absolutely agree that society driven "norms" screw up people badly.

There is a reason gay teens are listed as the prime demographic for suicides.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:52 AM

4,529 posts, read 4,752,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
many could go either way. its a cultivated taste like the taste for beer, we are not born liking beer.
the danger in which either way we grow is in seeing sexuality as our identity, it never is, ever.
That's called bi-sexuality, and is listed seperatly.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:04 AM

2,255 posts, read 4,806,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Sure enough for many it is a choice and they were never effected by the chemicals mentioned in the research of Dr Theo Colborn and Peter Meyers. I remember when they were all coming out of the closet in the late 1970s , early 1980s, of course down in Palm Springs they had been doing so for much longer. I lived in the San Jacinto mtns in Idyllwild and it also had a large gay lesbian population, but then it was also a famous Hollywood retreat area as well. There were many homosexual men and women who only chose to be gay or lesbian when in their 50s or early 60s and who chose that sexual route as a matter of choice. Very few of them claimed to have been born that way and in fact they told me so because I was curious and asked. The reason I asked was because most had shown me pictures of their children and grandchildren. Many of them had been married for 20-30+ years and said they were simply looking for a different alternative lifestyle and it was their choice.

I realize that is not the accepted politically correct answer to give, but that's what I was told by them. All of them rejected any idea that they had been born that way, because I also asked that question since that subject was just starting to rear it's ugly head as far back as then. They mostly were well off from a financial standpoint and had always had plenty of material things and this was simply another experience on the road through life. Money had given them anything they wanted and desired, but once the newness wears off then the bordem sets in. This was simply another escape or kick like someone would use drugs or alcohol for.

But I still believe some have been genetically effected or messed up and born that way because of endocrinal disruption. This is not about some deadend evolutionary cul du sac in regards this phenomena. What has happened to our degrading planet's environment comes to us through the advancement of scientific discovery. Again, folks here should read the scientific research work, peer reviewed material and everything:

Our Stolen Future: Home

Old 10-01-2009, 02:15 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,316,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Firstly, one's sexuality is inherent, THAT is agreed upon as illustrated by such scientific per rebiew groups as the APA.

Secondly, I will absolutely agree that society driven "norms" screw up people badly.

There is a reason gay teens are listed as the prime demographic for suicides.
I think what the APA showed is that it was unchangeable, not that it was inherent. The two don't entirely mean the same thing. If you lose your legs in an accident you can't grow legs back, becoming legless is unchangeable. (Not the best analogy perhaps, but the only one that seemed to work offhand)

Personally I'm not even sure I totally agree with their finding it is unchangeable. I think it is for many, but may not be for some. The difficulties in changing it, and its unchangeability in many cases, arguably makes efforts to change it more harm than good. Perhaps like elaborate surgeries to make dwarfs "normal size." They may work in some cases, but often don't or cause massive problems.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:25 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,646,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
That's called bi-sexuality, and is listed seperatly.
no ---that would be having the propensity which many do.
but many do not practice gay sex and choose to practice hetro or none at all. they are not bisexual. since it is cultivated, and this happens a great deal in SF, it is an open question not an established identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates