Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 01:10 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,295,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungeon View Post
I remember having this debate some time ago in a social science class. Gay people argue that they do not choose to be gay, yet being gay or having an attraction to the same species is clearly not a behaviour intended by nature in a species that is suppose to reproduce using a male and a female. So if gays do not choose to be gay, and it is not the way nature intended most people to use their bodies, otherwise we would all be hermaprodites, then is gay a disease, hormonal imbalance, or something else. I lean towards Hormonal imbalance or mild disease of the mind but am want to hear other views.
Homosexual Activity Among Animals Stirs Debate

Homosexuality occurs in nature, in species other than humans.

We aren't sure why nature picks some animals and people to be homosexual. It could be because the mothers body picks up some sort of genetic change that isn't favorable for procreation, so their body puts certain hormones into the child so that they will only want to have sex with members of their own gender.

Lots of things can explain it, but it happens, it happens in nature, and its a naturally occurring event.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:18 PM

77,755 posts, read 59,900,878 times
I think it's caused by global warming.

Either that or the <insert name I have an axe to grind with> are behind it.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:52 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,039,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think it's caused by global warming.
I believe my inflactuation problem is too ; it was fine in the last century.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:11 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,982,341 times
Being gay is a hormonal imbalance or disease. It's the way these people were born, it wasn't a choice. I think that many people refuse to accept homosexuality as being an irregularity, but it is. Gay people can't help who they are. However, we should not pander to the whims of homosexuals in the form of same sex marriage. Homosexual relationships do nothing to further the advancement of society as a whole.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:44 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,039,853 times
'Being gay is a hormonal imbalance or disease. It's the way these people were born, it wasn't a choice. I think that many people refuse to accept homosexuality as being an irregularity, but it is. Gay people can't help who they are.'

REPLY: If this were true, then there shouldnt be the many thousands who have undergone Counselling and who have exited the lifestyle for a sucessful heterosexual lifestyle including Marriage and a Family. There is no gene for homosexuality ; plus it infers God has made such people with a confused sexuality but we know God is a God of order, no confusion, infinite holiness, infinite morality. Rethinking your position, dont you feel it may be linked to an imbalanced emotional relationship with a Parent , and/or, the willful progression of finding someone of the same sex attractive leading to an out-of-bounds escalation ?

" However, we should not pander to the whims of homosexuals in the form of same sex marriage. Homosexual relationships do nothing to further the advancement of society as a whole"

REPLY: History shows that every ancient empire/society that was inundated with homosexuality, in fact came to ruin. I think we need to be as compassionate toward the Gay person as possible encouraging them that real help is available , yet not condone any lifestyle choice that brings devastation to a person and ultimately, a nation.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
REPLY: If this were true, then there shouldnt be the many thousands who have undergone Counselling and who have exited the lifestyle for a sucessful heterosexual lifestyle including Marriage and a Family. There is no gene for homosexuality ; plus it infers God has made such people with a confused sexuality but we know God is a God of order, no confusion, infinite holiness, infinite morality. Rethinking your position, dont you feel it may be linked to an imbalanced emotional relationship with a Parent , and/or, the willful progression of finding someone of the same sex attractive leading to an out-of-bounds escalation ?

REPLY: History shows that every ancient empire/society that was inundated with homosexuality, in fact came to ruin. I think we need to be as compassionate toward the Gay person as possible encouraging them that real help is available , yet not condone any lifestyle choice that brings devastation to a person and ultimately, a nation.
On Wednesday, August 5th, the American Psychological Association published a comprehensive report reputing the effectiveness of ex-gay (or reparative therapy) ministries. The governing body of the mental health organization examined 83 studies on sexual orientation dating back to 1960 and found no substantial evidence that homosexuality can be cured through therapy or any other means as many ex-gay ministries claim. The report urged mental health professionals not to advise clients that they can become straight through therapy or other treatments.

On your second thought, this actually proves the point that Homosexuality isn't a choice, its something you are born with.

You see, when ancient societies became to overpopulated, then more homosexuals were born. This is natures way of lowering the population.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:34 PM

261 posts, read 666,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
You argue like a republican, trying to take words out of context. I'll spell it out for you just in case you're having trouble waking up this morning.

If homosexuality occurs in nature, then why is it ok to call it an unnatural phenomenon? The topic isn't about if being gay is moral or immoral, since the only reason you could possibly call homosexuality immoral is if you are religious. The topic is if being gay is a choice or not. All gay people say that they were born gay, that they didn't get to choose between homosexual or heterosexual. Do you understand it yet?

If you want to debate whether homosexuality is moral or immoral, I will gladly enlighten you on that subject as well if you start a thread about it.
From my view it is not whether it is moral or immoral which is the primary question, it is whether it is a choice or not. sometimes I tend to think it is. Like disease can force you to wear pink or sparkles or talk in that special voice which I know is not their normal voice. I knew a guy from elementary school who acted normal then in grade 10 he started to dress and talk differently, by university he came out the closet. Sure he could be gay the whole time against his will, but he was not born with a tendency to wear pants that have the butt part cut out or snake skin shoes and tight fishnet shirts.

By the way just because an act occurs in nature does not mean it is natural and even if it did just becuase it is natural does not mean it is right. Lions eat people, some animals rape (have sex with against the will of the other animal), animals kill each other and have sex with their cousins. None of this is accepted in human society.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:41 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,205,176 times
I also heard that they can't cure pedophiles. They are just born that way. Do we accept that way of life with open arms just because they can't choose the way that they are?

My thought is that God creted us all. One of the blessings that God gave us was the ability to choose what we do and how we want to live. As far as people that suffer from same sex addiction they have a choice and they choose for the most part to give in to the temptation. It is easy to say that "I was born this way." For me I was born to sleep around with women. I love them and would be with all that I was attracted to, if not for one thing. I am married and love my wife. Even though I could give in and spend time with lots of differant women, I choose not to. It is always a choice. +

Old 08-22-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I also heard that they can't cure pedophiles. They are just born that way. Do we accept that way of life with open arms just because they can't choose the way that they are?

My thought is that God creted us all. One of the blessings that God gave us was the ability to choose what we do and how we want to live. As far as people that suffer from same sex addiction they have a choice and they choose for the most part to give in to the temptation. It is easy to say that "I was born this way." For me I was born to sleep around with women. I love them and would be with all that I was attracted to, if not for one thing. I am married and love my wife. Even though I could give in and spend time with lots of differant women, I choose not to. It is always a choice. +
No, but pedophiles are hurting other people. How does two men or two women living next door to you hurt you? It doesn't, and thats the difference.

Also, those who are genetically attracted to younger children are far less than the number of homosexuals.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:11 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,205,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
No, but pedophiles are hurting other people. How does two men or two women living next door to you hurt you? It doesn't, and thats the difference.

Also, those who are genetically attracted to younger children are far less than the number of homosexuals.
What about the ability to choose? Are you saying those that are attracted to the same sex don't have that ability?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates