U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-22-2009, 03:04 PM
 
1,989 posts, read 1,820,700 times
Reputation: 15765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I'm not buying it. Not at all.

A last resort, maybe.

But I'm not buying it that there are hordes of women thinking, "Hey, you know, I think it'd be quite a hoot to have guys pay me money to use me sexually."

Just not buying it.
It may not be their dream job but on some level they are choosing to do it. Maybe because it allows them to live independently. Maybe they have an expensive drug habit. Maybe because they don't want to return home to their dysfunctional family and can't figure out where to turn. On some level they want to do it or they could find another way by accepting help from religious organizations/missions, shelters or using food stamps, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2009, 03:58 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,294 posts, read 13,701,572 times
Reputation: 3652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
It may not be their dream job but on some level they are choosing to do it. Maybe because it allows them to live independently. Maybe they have an expensive drug habit. Maybe because they don't want to return home to their dysfunctional family and can't figure out where to turn. On some level they want to do it or they could find another way by accepting help from religious organizations/missions, shelters or using food stamps, etc.
Right.

I can buy the notion that it's the lesser of two evils - prostitution or starve, prostitution or no drugs.

But all things being equal, I really don't think the female psyche is wired to "want" to trade abusive sex for money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2009, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,100 posts, read 23,475,213 times
Reputation: 4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I'm not buying it. Not at all.

A last resort, maybe.

But I'm not buying it that there are hordes of women thinking, "Hey, you know, I think it'd be quite a hoot to have guys pay me money to use me sexually."

Just not buying it.
You might not "buy" it, but it is the truth nonetheless.

I agree that there are many "forced" into prostitution - the "street" hookers.

However, in a State like Nevada, where Prostitution is legal in certain counties, and where we have legal Brothels - there are many woman who are Prostitutes because the money is very good. $1,000's of dollars a week potentially.

Many young ladies "work" to pay their way through college - just as there are those who work as strippers.

Omaha is very sheltered - you would have to live around it to fully understand.

As an aside - a young woman comes in to purchase a home - needs to get a loan. Lists her occupation as "Prostitute". She gets her loan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2009, 06:47 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,294 posts, read 13,701,572 times
Reputation: 3652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Omaha is very sheltered - you would have to live around it to fully understand.
Thank you for enlightening me, O Wise One. It is, after all, a well known fact that there are NO prostitutes in or around Omaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2009, 06:49 PM
 
Location: southern california
48,569 posts, read 44,653,204 times
Reputation: 39474
i can tell you right now it won't help with spelling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2009, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,100 posts, read 23,475,213 times
Reputation: 4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Thank you for enlightening me, O Wise One. It is, after all, a well known fact that there are NO prostitutes in or around Omaha.

It IS a "well known fact" there are no Legal Brothels in or around Omaha as there are in Nevada.

It IS a "well known fact" that Prostitution is ILLEGAL in and around Omaha.

AND, I doubt seriously any of the hookers in Omaha get a $1,000 a session as some of the brothel hookers get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2009, 06:57 PM
 
10,481 posts, read 13,994,371 times
Reputation: 6341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
It IS a "well known fact" there are no Legal Brothels in or around Omaha as there are in Nevada.

It IS a "well known fact" that Prostitution is ILLEGAL in and around Omaha.

AND, I doubt seriously any of the hookers in Omaha get a $1,000 a session as some of the brothel hookers get.
Obviously, the only "legal" brothels are in Nevada. However, I just looked up Omaha, and the population is 837,000, so it is a fairly large city. I am sure there are high class hookers who fetch $1,000 plus out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2009, 09:09 AM
 
1,310 posts, read 1,781,344 times
Reputation: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
It may not be their dream job but on some level they are choosing to do it. Maybe because it allows them to live independently. Maybe they have an expensive drug habit. Maybe because they don't want to return home to their dysfunctional family and can't figure out where to turn. On some level they want to do it or they could find another way by accepting help from religious organizations/missions, shelters or using food stamps, etc.
I doubt theres a Prostitute around that hasnt heard of The Salvation Army or simular Christian ministry like Catholic Charities , YWCA, Half-Way Houses, etc.. for help in saving ones dignity and offering real loving guidanceand counsel to get back on the right track. Like any addiction that ensnares, often the Person has become comfortable with the status quo and ease of making a fast non-taxable American Dollar , or, has the support from other addicts to continue down the wrong road . In fact, many of these Ministrys actually go looking for such destitute People especially in large Cities trying to encourage them to get off the streets , leave them a Business Card with contact info, etc... only many never bother to seek the help ; this scenario plays out countless times each day in all areas of addiction including but not limited to : Prostitution, Homosexuality, Alchoholism, the Homeless, Drug Abuse, Spousal Abuse, pregnant out of wedlock Women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2009, 09:23 AM
 
214 posts, read 436,078 times
Reputation: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Right.

I can buy the notion that it's the lesser of two evils - prostitution or starve, prostitution or no drugs.

But all things being equal, I really don't think the female psyche is wired to "want" to trade abusive sex for money.
I don't know. Is it really that women aren't "wired" to consider prostitution an acceptable career or is that the stigma and legal issues surrounding prostitution lend it to (typically) being an option only for those out of options? Also, why did you say abusive sex? Not everyone indulges in their kinks with prostitutes, some are simply lonely people with a physical need.

I have no problem with making prostitution legal. Would I ever work as a prostitute? No. The money may be good but I wouldn't do it illegally and the stigma associated with prostitution is more than I'd be willing to live with anyway. However, I'm all about giving women (and men) the choice to do it if they so choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2009, 09:39 AM
 
Location: living on the mighty Columbia
1,768 posts, read 1,150,372 times
Reputation: 3569
Well, as any reader of this thread can plainly see, we have the morals of the situation being defined by folk's of the pious persuasion.

It is simply a natural function of humans brought to the marketplace, oh I know, this view does nothing for those who are guided by their beliefs, but, they are only their personal beliefs. As we have experienced the power of religion becoming a force of law, wherein the intent is to correct the action of others, we see the obvious faults in theo-legal restraint.

It is one thing to disapprove of someones actions, and quite another to attempt to restrain those we don't approve of. Laws regarding prostitution are simply the extension of theocratic laws from our past. If it was legalized, I believe it would be in everyones interest, as it stands today, we are seeing the exploitation of our fellow humans supported by those who say they are opposed to such exploitation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top