U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2009, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Tampa Bay
618 posts, read 744,839 times
Reputation: 620

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
In fact, many of these Ministrys actually go looking for such destitute People especially in large Cities trying to encourage them to get off the streets , leave them a Business Card with contact info, etc... only many never bother to seek the help ; this scenario plays out countless times each day in all areas of addiction including but not limited to : Prostitution, Homosexuality, Alchoholism, the Homeless, Drug Abuse, Spousal Abuse, pregnant out of wedlock Women.
I have agreed with your postings in this thread until you threw this in.... how is having a child out of wedlock an area of addiction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2009, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,882 posts, read 11,454,835 times
Reputation: 8448
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
I doubt theres a Prostitute around that hasnt heard of The Salvation Army or simular Christian ministry like Catholic Charities , YWCA, Half-Way Houses, etc.. for help in saving ones dignity and offering real loving guidanceand counsel to get back on the right track. Like any addiction that ensnares, often the Person has become comfortable with the status quo and ease of making a fast non-taxable American Dollar , or, has the support from other addicts to continue down the wrong road . In fact, many of these Ministrys actually go looking for such destitute People especially in large Cities trying to encourage them to get off the streets , leave them a Business Card with contact info, etc... only many never bother to seek the help ; this scenario plays out countless times each day in all areas of addiction including but not limited to : Prostitution, Homosexuality, Alchoholism, the Homeless, Drug Abuse, Spousal Abuse, pregnant out of wedlock Women.
For the last time

Not all prostitutes are down and out drug addicts, who have no choice. There are many women who out and out choose this kind of lifestyle, and are perfectly happy with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2009, 10:47 AM
 
1,944 posts, read 3,458,617 times
Reputation: 868
paying someone for a service. no different than paying someone to mow your lawn.

victimless crime i say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2009, 04:45 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 14,542,406 times
Reputation: 3668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
For the last time

Not all prostitutes are down and out drug addicts, who have no choice. There are many women who out and out choose this kind of lifestyle, and are perfectly happy with it.
For the last time, do you have any PROOF of this, because your opinion carries very little weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2009, 04:51 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 14,542,406 times
Reputation: 3668
Quote:
Originally Posted by pers View Post
I don't know. Is it really that women aren't "wired" to consider prostitution an acceptable career or is that the stigma and legal issues surrounding prostitution lend it to (typically) being an option only for those out of options? Also, why did you say abusive sex? Not everyone indulges in their kinks with prostitutes, some are simply lonely people with a physical need.

I have no problem with making prostitution legal. Would I ever work as a prostitute? No. The money may be good but I wouldn't do it illegally and the stigma associated with prostitution is more than I'd be willing to live with anyway. However, I'm all about giving women (and men) the choice to do it if they so choose.
Well... I will not claim to speak for or about all prostitutes. But this particular study showed that (I think) 82% of prostitutes are the recipients of physical abuse. 68% had been raped, and 48% had been raped more than 5 times.
http://womensissues.about.com/od/rap.../a/Wuornos.htm

Regardless of the legality versus illegality of prostitution, those numbers are shocking.


So... Do you think the percentage/cases of abuse of prostitutes would decrease if prostitution was legalized? I'm not asking that as a leading question, because I don't know the answer. But I do think it's a question worth asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2009, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,882 posts, read 11,454,835 times
Reputation: 8448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
For the last time, do you have any PROOF of this, because your opinion carries very little weight.
***** With A Heart: Why did I become a prostitute - part 1

If legal, would you become a prostitute? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers

Some women decide to do this, because they want to. It makes them happy to do this job.

Welcome To Dennis Hof's World Famous BunnyRanch - BunnyRanch.com (http://www.bunnyranch.com/index1.html - broken link)

Here is a site where all of these ladies decided to become prostitutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2009, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
38,758 posts, read 39,480,640 times
Reputation: 28908
Some women actually enjoy sex, just for itself. It's rather sad to read so many posts from people who do not know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2009, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,100 posts, read 24,614,391 times
Reputation: 4813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
For the last time, do you have any PROOF of this, because your opinion carries very little weight.
Air Force Amy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This young lady was not "forced" to be a working girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2009, 09:21 PM
 
6,039 posts, read 6,090,533 times
Reputation: 3822
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungeon View Post
Should it be legalized, victimless, crime or vile threat against women hood?
'Prostituition'? Is that exchanging sex for schooling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2009, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
38,758 posts, read 39,480,640 times
Reputation: 28908
It is a mistake assume that prostitution is all about sex.

While it is true that a man can have sex for hire with a prostitute, many men engage a prostitute for different reasons. Some men are willing to pay to spend time in the embrace of an accepting woman, which is not readily available to them within their sociial context. At the other end of the register, a misogynist hires a woman that he can abuse with impunity to fulfill that need. In either of those two examples, sex may occur, but not necessarily, and it is not the primary motive for engaging a prostitute.

With a prostitute, the completion of the sexual act is secondary. If a man merely needs to reach sexual climax, that can be done in the bathroom for free. There is more to it than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:01 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top