Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 09:20 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,156,907 times

Advertisements

Religion has and does greatly imact how the world functions, some positive and some negative. I would propose that high schools offer a basic religion course that focuses on educating the student on the history and tenets of the major religions of the world(Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, etc.). The purpose of this would not be indoctrination but rather a better understanding of religion in society.
Many people in this country support teaching the bible in high school. I am a religious person but I have a problem with this if it excludes teaching the talmud, the koran, etc. I would be interested in hearing what other people think of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 11:48 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times
I am a Christian. I do not support teaching of religion in schools today, simply because with even the way history is taught today, it isn't accurate. So, to have someone who is less than qualified to teach religion in an honest light would do nothing more than further the indoctrination. They skew the facts and put the truth out there as *they* want it viewed not the way it is.

Therefore leave it to the parents to teach, should they so choose.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:52 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I agree with Chromkitty for the most part. High school would be a very difficult place to teach religion because I've noticed that high school students like to evangelize more openly than their older (or even younger) peers. Plus, I think it would be very very difficult to find a teacher who could teach world religions without a bias. I took Comparitive World Religions in college and it was AMAZING. In fact, nobody knew what religion the teacher was and he refused to tell. There was zero bias in his lectures and tests so it was very difficult to pinpoint his belief system.

High school would be a very difficult environment to teach any religion classes.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:53 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
I'll throw in a twist.

Have all high schools teach a "Theories of Origins" class - one that would include the theories of origins from all religions, including evolution.

They are, after all, theories.

Beyond that, let "World Religions" be an elective.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:57 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I'll throw in a twist.

Have all high schools teach a "Theories of Origins" class - one that would include the theories of origins from all religions, including evolution.

But would that be theory like a laymans theory, or theory like in scientific theory? There is a difference.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:07 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I'll throw in a twist.

IMHO, evolution is considered a theory (fact by many people), by way of the scientific method. The origins as detailed by the various religions are hypotheses, if that.

As for the OP, why only the major religions? What would be considered a "major" religion.
Also, would this class be seen by parents, especially those who are insecure in their faith, as indoctrination of their children?

Old 08-19-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
IMHO, evolution is considered a theory (fact by many people), by way of the scientific method. The origins as detailed by the various religions are hypotheses, if that.

As for the OP, why only the major religions? What would be considered a "major" religion.
Also, would this class be seen by parents, especially those who are insecure in their faith, as indoctrination of their children?

just because a parent does not want their child taught evolution, does not make them insecure in their belief.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:20 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
As an Atheist, I still don't see anything wrong with it. US history is also taught as a HS subject, because the student body consists primarily of kids who are Americans.

Nearly all courses teach that there is a "right way". Home Economics students are taught that there is a right way to bake a cake, regardless of student's cultural culinarity. English students are taught that there is a right way to interpret Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

I have a general problem with our public education system teaching matter as perceived facts, as opposed to concepts that require rational and logical intellectual exploration. But if we are going to simply fil their heads with trivia that can be applied to true-falst tests at the end of the term, it doesn't rally matter much what facts we teach them. True facts are just as dangerous as false ones, if the user doesn't know how to apply them to process wisdom.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:21 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
just because a parent does not want their child taught evolution, does not make them insecure in their belief.
What would an evangelical Christian think about their child being taught Islam?

Old 08-19-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
What would an evangelical Christian think about their child being taught Islam?

I do not know the answer to that question, as I am not evangelical.
But that doesn't make me insecure in MY belief.

As I stated earlier, that is something that should be left to the parents to teach, should they choose to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates