Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 12:57 PM

532 posts, read 1,270,069 times

Advertisements

In many Eastern cultures dog is a perfectly acceptable food source. It was not an uncommon dish in Europe either as late as the early 20th century.

Is there a moral diference between consuming pork and dog meat? Watching the below video got me thinking a bit. That pig is intelligent and personable, smarter than my dog, no question. As a dog lover my stomach churns at the thought of eating dog meat, yet I don't blink an eye when ordering a side of bacon or sausage with my breakfast.

For those who eat pork, but find the consumption of dogs reprehensible, how do you rationalize this? Reason tells me there is no difference, yet I'm not about to give up pork nor could I be swayed to eat dog meat.

Note, I originally posted this on the dogs forum, my mistake. The post was immediately removed and I recieved a warning for trolling. The mod did find it a reasonable topic for this forum however.

YouTube - Pet Star: Smart Pig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 01:08 PM

814 posts, read 2,306,618 times
pigs also tend to have very sensitive feelings.

i understand not wanting to eat pets, of course but i've never understood how one culture thinks one animal is more "human" than another. i think this has a lot to do with ignorance or they just haven't been exposed enough to different animals to realize they all have feelings and/or can express affection. they don't realize it's not so much that they are motivated by humaneness as it's more about a selfish projection of self-identity. i don't want to see that killed because i can identify with it sort of thing.

those that do know but don't care are just hypocrites. cruelty to animals is not really justified though so it starts off with that argument and devolves into demonizing another group for just 'eating' a certain animal deemed more worthy of rights, those people also are hypocritical. then it usually involves believing they are humane because 'pain' or 'torture' is viewed in degrees of affliction whereas one type is considered more heinous than another, usually ignoring that factory farming is very cruel. it's a mental immaturity more than anything else, since it's more about what gets more of an immediate reaction out of people as if 'prolonged' suffering is more humane such as crowded cages, inhumane conditions, no sunlight, no grazing, not able to raise young etc.

factory farming with pigs involves locking them up in tight steel cages, often they go insane from boredom. they are bred over and over, separated from young except for "feeding" time etc. they are hosed down like objects, under concrete most of their life which causes arthritis and joint pain etc, basically a slower miserable life. westerners seem to think this is more humane than say 'beating' something to death. a video like that would get more of a immediate negative reaction, whereas a video of a pig just lying there banging it's head against it's cage just looks apathetic. stupid observations.

it's just self-serving ideals.

Last edited by leaana; 08-17-2009 at 01:17 PM..

Old 08-17-2009, 01:17 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,680,491 times
There is no morality involved about whether or not to eat animals. Humans are omnivores, and we thrive the best on a balanced diet involving many sources, both animal and vegetable. The "morality" (if one can call it that) which is involved with eating animals comes into play with how we treat them when they're alive, and if they are humanely slaughtered.

Eating them is perfectly fine; making them suffer is not.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:25 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,021 times
Now the thought of eating dog meat makes me sick I admit BUT thinking about it in the asian way I fully understand it .. old indian joke was "scoop deeper.. puppy on bottem " this was common with some of the Native American cultures many years back .. White folks are pretty squimish about many food items .. say horsemeat and watch the outcry
my thought here is we could do so much to end unwanted pet issues if we recycled puppes into the food chain . you know people would get the females spayed !!! tastes like rabbit..... those nice clean meat trays at the store dont translate the pig or its pain at all .. if we did that with dog, horse and said nothing about it folks would get past the urge to puke .. of course pig slaughter is no more humane than the korean dog slaughter we just ingore that when its a pig ..kwim?

Old 08-17-2009, 02:00 PM

18,715 posts, read 33,372,489 times
I agree with the poster who points out that causing suffering is unacceptable, if one is eating animals. The Korean dog markets are hideous in causing suffering. Factory farming of any animal causes gratuitous suffering.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:30 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Convince me that plants do not feel discomfort and/or pain. Why does a flower turn to face the sun? Because it's pain aversion, and it hurts not to. If that were not the case, there would be no incentive for plants to behave the way they do.

There. I've spoiled your supper. Now what are you going to eat?

Old 08-17-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The Korean dog markets are hideous in causing suffering. Factory farming of any animal causes gratuitous suffering.
which the point is, it's still inhumane and causes suffering either way. it's like saying raping a woman over and over is better than beating the crap out of her. not really.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:58 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,588,814 times
Dog, pig, horse, cow, deer, sheep, rat, cat - I don't have a problem with people eating any non-endangered animal species. Personally, I'd eat any of the above plus more. However, I'd rather eat a wild animal or one raised for food instead of one that I'd lived with as a pet. That said, those lines can be blurred on a small farm - you get to "know" those chickens and other critters that end up on your plate.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:32 PM

25,707 posts, read 18,781,503 times
Bottom line for me is that every time I eat, something has been killed--be it plant or animal. Unless I’m willing to die an agonizing death by starvation, I don’t have much say in the matter. All I can do is be thankful that some creature or plant has “sacrificed itself" for me.

I, under no circumstances, can agree with any form of cruelty or neglect or thrill-killing of animals. If they are going to die to support us, get it over with. It’s not a game. It’s not fun. It’s nothing to celebrate other than the fact we have food on the table. I personally see no reason to kill other than for food or to prevent becoming food. I guess I could claim a deep respect for life, but am at the same time hypocritical because I’m forced to take life in order to survive.

As for the type of animal, it doesn’t really matter much to me. Something dies regardless... although I personally will not eat certain things. But that’s largely a cultural issue and a matter of taste-bud-food-interaction.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:05 PM

personally, i think pork tastes terrible but if you're hungry it tastes good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates