Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:42 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,662,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
First they take away out guns, then they take away out knives. Then ? Are they gonna take away our shovels and toothpicks too?
Don't forget ropes and pointy sticks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 08:05 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,410,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Don't forget ropes and pointy sticks.
Pointed sticks?

Then they'll be after our bananas and wild tigers!

(Monty Python reference for the Britcom illiterate)

Old 08-24-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'll let you answer your own question. (Post #24)
Hello, that IS self-defense NV was talking about.

"Well officer, the guy LOOKED like he might rob me, so I walked up to him and shot him in the face" is not self-defense, and what you're trying to claim NV is saying.

NV is saying, quite clearly I might add, that should someone walk up to him with a gun or knife, and demanded his wallet and cellphone, THEN NV would shoot him in the face.

And so would I for that matter.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:11 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,662,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Pointed sticks?

Then they'll be after our bananas and wild tigers!

(Monty Python reference for the Britcom illiterate)
They'll have to pull the banana out of my cold, dead fingers!

Old 08-24-2009, 08:47 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Quote:

NV is saying, quite clearly I might add, that should someone walk up to him with a gun or knife, and demanded his wallet and cellphone, THEN NV would shoot him in the face.

And I would run away. That's the difference between people who want to maximize and who want to minimize the number of gunshot killings.

No matter how good NV is with a gun, sooner or later he will run into somebody better (or luckier). NV is a good state for him to be living in, if he is that kind of a high roller, but I'm not.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
And I would run away. That's the difference between people who want to maximize and who want to minimize the number of gunshot killings.

No matter how good NV is with a gun, sooner or later he will run into somebody better (or luckier). NV is a good state for him to be living in, if he is that kind of a high roller, but I'm not.
"And I would run away." and chances are, depending on which area you are accosted, merely die tired as the criminal shoots you in the back.

I also do not appreciate your ad hominem either.

We pro-gun-right people don't want to "maximize the number of gunshot killings", ignoring for the moment that the vast majority of criminal killings with firearms occur with illegally aquired firearms.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:36 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,026 times
Default Plenty posts...little info

There are plenty of posts here, but little info about my question.

Anyway, I found this article by John Stossel of ABC News.

RealClearPolitics - Commentary - Myths About Gun Control By John Stossel

And again here, as item number 5,

Myths, Lies and Straight Talk - ABC News

Are there any other articles or facts out there?

Old 08-24-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
"And I would run away." and chances are, depending on which area you are accosted, merely die tired as the criminal shoots you in the back.

I also do not appreciate your ad hominem either.

We pro-gun-right people don't want to "maximize the number of gunshot killings", ignoring for the moment that the vast majority of criminal killings with firearms occur with illegally aquired firearms.
Ad hominems are perfectly appropriate responses to arguments that are based entirely on one's personal behavioral preference, without offering any factual data to support the "I'd rather" argument.

It's time for you to provide statistical data that supports that a person who walks away from a robber is more likely to be shot than not. Or whatever the hell you mean by "chances are", which is a pretty vacant presentation of persuasive data.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-24-2009 at 11:43 PM..

Old 08-25-2009, 04:11 AM

742 posts, read 1,227,813 times
Quote:
Ad hominems are perfectly appropriate responses to arguments that are based entirely on one's personal behavioral preference, without offering any factual data to support the "I'd rather" argument.

It's time for you to provide statistical data that supports that a person who walks away from a robber is more likely to be shot than not. Or whatever the hell you mean by "chances are", which is a pretty vacant presentation of persuasive data.
considering, you can't prove that ANYONE successfully runs away from an armed assailant unscathed....
this isnt the movies bucko. people die from that ****

Old 08-25-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
considering, you can't prove that ANYONE successfully runs away from an armed assailant unscathed....
this isnt the movies bucko. people die from that ****
How many armed assailants have you shot? Or are you one of those who died from that ****? This isn't the movies bucko.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates