Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 03:24 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
First, I don't know, they are not classified as such in the crime statistics.

Second, I, being a rational and prudent human being with an opposible thumb, am intellectually capable of drawing a distinction between a stalking predator with twice my body weight, intent on killing his weak prey, and a goblin prowling around looking for something he can steal, who might carry some kind of a weapon to defend himself against some crazed armed lunatic who shoots first if he senses some kind of a threat. One tiger will kill more victims in a couple of months than the entire population of Reno kills in a year. Think about that for a minute, and see if it sinks in.

Ten thousand felonies a year in Reno, and only 17 murders. And you expect me to believe that every criminal who owns a gun is walking around looking for unarmed people to kill by shooting them in the back as they run away, and the only way to keep them from killing you is to kill them first.
Firstly, self-defense is self-defense, whether a huge tiger, a pointed stick, or a felon who is going to rob you and either shoot you so you don't report him, or attempt to beat you to death.

Secondly, felons will not target people they know to be armed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 04:01 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Firstly, self-defense is self-defense, whether a huge tiger, a pointed stick, or a felon who is going to rob you and either shoot you so you don't report him, or attempt to beat you to death.

Secondly, felons will not target people they know to be armed.
Congratulations. You just definitively summed up the entire OP question in a single line. Without even citing a single source of data. Now we can close the thread.

Different degrees of self-defense are called for, depending on the circumstances. Maybe in Reno, every criminal with a gun does intend to shoot everybody in the back who walks away from them, as certainly as every tiger needs to kill his lunch. But if they do, they are very poor shots and seldom hit their mark. Unless you are privy to some new set of statistics that reveals all those thousands and thousands of murders every year in Reno.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Congratulations. You just definitively summed up the entire OP question in a single line. Without even citing a single source of data. Now we can close the thread.

Different degrees of self-defense are called for, depending on the circumstances. Maybe in Reno, every criminal with a gun does intend to shoot everybody in the back who walks away from them, as certainly as every tiger needs to kill his lunch. But if they do, they are very poor shots and seldom hit their mark. Unless you are privy to some new set of statistics that reveals all those thousands and thousands of murders every year in Reno.
And you offered statistics that prove your point when?

A mugger approaches me, as has happened, I either note I am armed or show my pistol.

They get to go home, and I keep my stuff, and my teeth.

Luckily, a mugger hasn't approached me yet displaying a handgun. In that event, I will not note or display. I will draw and shoot for body mass.

THAT is differing degrees of self defense.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:41 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:

One cannot stand on a street corner with a sign containing lewd language. There are more limitations on Free Speech than you might think.
You are correct again. But theres no consequence until you do stand there with lewd language on the sign.
You dont need a permit to buy poster board to ensure your intentions are acceptable.

I dont necessarily disagree with the notion of carry permits as long as they are shall issue. I'm simply pointing out what I view as a considerable difference between how we regulate other Constitutional rights in comparison to RKBA. In every other instance the restrictions only come into play AFTER you abuse the right. There is nothing stopping you from lewd signs but there are consequences if you choose to abuse your right to free speech.

There should IMO be nothing stopping a citizen legally carrying a gun, wether a permit is required or not, from going anywhere they want. If they do something wrong they should be punished, I just dont view the simple posession of a gun as doing anything wrong.

Quote:
There are indeed regulations, and then eliminations. I believe we differ only on the level of restrictions that may be required and may be lawful.
I believe thats an acurate assesment. Its nice to be able to disagree without the theatrics, Thank you.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
You are correct again. But theres no consequence until you do stand there with lewd language on the sign.
You dont need a permit to buy poster board to ensure your intentions are acceptable.

I dont necessarily disagree with the notion of carry permits as long as they are shall issue. I'm simply pointing out what I view as a considerable difference between how we regulate other Constitutional rights in comparison to RKBA. In every other instance the restrictions only come into play AFTER you abuse the right. There is nothing stopping you from lewd signs but there are consequences if you choose to abuse your right to free speech.

There should IMO be nothing stopping a citizen legally carrying a gun, wether a permit is required or not, from going anywhere they want. If they do something wrong they should be punished, I just dont view the simple posession of a gun as doing anything wrong.

I believe thats an acurate assesment. Its nice to be able to disagree without the theatrics, Thank you.
Firstly, things like private property rights trump all Constutional Rights. See where I'm heading?

Secodly, you're welcome, tho theatrics are fun at times.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:15 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
And you offered statistics that prove your point when?
Two hours and 59 minutes ago.

I was told that if I refuse to arm myself and walk away, I will be shot in the back. You guys, I forgot who, and won't waste my time going back to see who, but there are several of you, you guys made that assertiion of stastistical probability. I asked you to back it up. You can't. I don't have to prove you wrong, I can merrily go the rest of my life believing that you are full of **** until you prove otherwise. You can't back up your statements. You made the statements and you have no data.

But I did something that you didn't and can't and won't do. I did offer statistics. When I offer statistics, you come back and flat out lie, and say I offered no statistics. Ten thousand felonies per year in Reno and only 17 homicides. There is my statistic that there are not very many comon criminals in Reno walking around with illegal firearms looking for people to shoot in the back. Not enough to raise that eventuality to probable.

Don't come back and asy Ive offered no statistics. Show me your interpretation of those or any other statistics that prove, or even suggest, that there are a significant number of people in Reno, Nevada, who are prepared to shoot me in the back if I do not shoot them first.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:29 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Oh no, you said that would result in certain death, being shot in the back. All goblins are highly predictable. You insist that they always do the same thing. They all have the primary intent of killing somebody, and just commit other crimes as a sideline, and the only way to stop them from killing me is to kill them first.

Statistically, more than 99% of all burglaries and thefts occur without a homicide. But you say every burglary and theft will be a homicide if the person being robbed turns his back. Reno, Nevada, 2007. 6,511 thefts, 1,835 burglaries, 1,072 car thefts, 578 robberies, 17 murders. It doesn't sound to me like the criminals in Reno are trying very hard to kill their victims. I'd say it looks like a pretty safe place to walk away from a goblin.

The basic difference between you and me, is that I do not want to kill a human being with a gun, and I do not arm myself for that purpose. You do.
Quote the whole post, and put things in proper context. This is absolute lunacy. You can twist things harder than the biggest wrench I own. Getting a little shrill there JT. LMAO, does my position on self defense annoy you that much? You have lost any small amount of credibility you may have had with these snipping select statement tactics and trying to make me out to be a 'killer' in waiting:ro lleyes:. Pretty pathetic. Lets try this, we will give a sociopathic criminal the choice twixt robbing you and raping your wife, or trying the same with me. Who do you think he will pick? Run Forrest RUUUUUN.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:

I was told that if I refuse to arm myself and walk away, I will be shot in the back. You guys, I forgot who, and won't waste my time going back to see who, but there are several of you, you guys made that assertiion of stastistical probability. I asked you to back it up. You can't. I don't have to prove you wrong, I can merrily go the rest of my life believing that you are full of **** until you prove otherwise. You can't back up your statements. You made the statements and you have no data.

But I did something that you didn't and can't and won't do. I did offer statistics. When I offer statistics, you come back and flat out lie, and say I offered no statistics. Ten thousand felonies per year in Reno and only 17 homicides. There is my statistic that there are not very many comon criminals in Reno walking around with illegal firearms looking for people to shoot in the back. Not enough to raise that eventuality to probable.

Don't come back and asy Ive offered no statistics. Show me your interpretation of those or any other statistics that prove, or even suggest, that there are a significant number of people in Reno, Nevada, who are prepared to shoot me in the back if I do not shoot them first.
You provided some statistics, yes.

I was under the assumption that you would offer statistics to justify your opinion, not just general crime statistics.

And Reno has an open carry does it not?

Here in NYS it's a pain in the arse just getting a handgun, let alone a C&C permit, and my hometown saw 17 homicides by May.

Seems to me that the small percentage of homocides in Reno means that the open carry works quite well.

Criminals are inherently lazxy, they go after easy pickings.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Firstly, things like private property rights trump all Constutional Rights. See where I'm heading?
Agreed, if a person wants to not allow guns or protestors or worshipers onto his private property thats his right.
But I'm talking now mostly about public places that ban guns. I'v never been disarmed before entering a theater. But I cant mail a letter or pick my kid up from school.

Quote:
Secodly, you're welcome, tho theatrics are fun at times.
They can be yes.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:

Maybe you wont get shot, instead you get beaten, raped or stabbed. Maybe they rob you & rape your wife. Maybe nothing will ever happen to you. But maybe it will.
It only takes one.
Do you think a mugger will let you just walk away. "Hey man, I'll just leave & you can find someone else ok" Or do you just give him your stuff & pray he leaves you alone. Do you just say "Do what he wants honey, I'll wait over here" Things do happen & despite your rant many people every year prevent crimes by having a firearm. You can look up the statistics if you want, they vary quite a bit from about 150,000 to over 2 million times a year. Either way its alot of incidents & in 90% of them no shot is fired.
Man says gimme your wallet, you produce weapon, man runs away.
The premise that pacifism will keep you safe is pretty absurd.
If I can I will run. If I cant I will do what I need to. You & you alone are suggesting that because a person has a gun they will just start killing folks.
Those of us who actually carry a gun, some each & every day, know better. We simply do not shoot very many people & when we do its almost always as a last resort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates