U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 06:20 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,331,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Odd that it is okay for someone to hold a church rally proclaiming God, the bible and Jesus is okay, but as soon as someone has a gay parade or gay pride day it is wrong...Religion has flaunted its goods infront of millions of people for centuries...Black people had their days to, as soon as they where made equals that all stopped.

Chango, do you have a problem with a straight couple PDA? or Straight marriage? How about religious weddings in the park, or church picnics where they very publicly talk about their religion? If you find any of these things okay and do not practice them yourself, does that not make you a hypocrite? To say some people and groups can do it but no others is wrong and goes against everything this country was about.

If Homosexuality was made a religion, then the government could not do anything about it and it would be protected under the constitution.
I mentioned a guy wearing pants with holes for his butt to show through in a gay pride parade as bad. I have no problems with parades, religious or homosexual, but some restraint should probably be shown.

In fact, they have a right to do this, and its their choice. My point was, they are fueling the fire and hatred against them.

Its a similar situation to the guy who showed up to the Obama rally with a gun. Yeah, he had a right to do it, but should he have. He only fuels the firer against idiocy like that by doing such things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 06:37 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,774,987 times
But just to be exceedingly obvious here, heterosexuality parades itself all the time. Frequently, when I turn on the television, I see an intimate heterosexual scene taking place between male and female actors. This doesn't offend me, and if it does, I can always do this nifty thing called "changing the channel," but compared to the number of intimate homosexual scenes taking place between same-sex actors I see, there's not even a comparison.

If I were inclined to be offended by a gay rights' parade, I have another very simple solution: don't go. I think it's reasonable to ask anyone, gay, straight, bi, or undecided to abide by the local laws governing appropriate public behavior and indecent exposure, of course, but that's easy enough to do.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
But just to be exceedingly obvious here, heterosexuality parades itself all the time. Frequently, when I turn on the television, I see an intimate heterosexual scene taking place between male and female actors. This doesn't offend me, and if it does, I can always do this nifty thing called "changing the channel," but compared to the number of intimate homosexual scenes taking place between same-sex actors I see, there's not even a comparison.

If I were inclined to be offended by a gay rights' parade, I have another very simple solution: don't go. I think it's reasonable to ask anyone, gay, straight, bi, or undecided to abide by the local laws governing appropriate public behavior and indecent exposure, of course, but that's easy enough to do.
Obviously you haven't seen Brokeback mountain on HBO recently.

Just because straight couples are portrayed on TV doesn't mean that gays are being discriminated against. It simply means that the majority people are straight, and Television stations try and broadcast what the majority of people want to see.

Actually there is more gay programming and scenes lately then there ever have been. Californication, the L word, and several other shows.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:51 PM

4,529 posts, read 4,743,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I mentioned a guy wearing pants with holes for his butt to show through in a gay pride parade as bad. I have no problems with parades, religious or homosexual, but some restraint should probably be shown.

In fact, they have a right to do this, and its their choice. My point was, they are fueling the fire and hatred against them.

Its a similar situation to the guy who showed up to the Obama rally with a gun. Yeah, he had a right to do it, but should he have. He only fuels the firer against idiocy like that by doing such things.
Never been to New Orleans for Mardis Gras I take it.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Never been to New Orleans for Mardis Gras I take it.
Nope, I've been there twice actually.

I don't really enjoy Mardi Gras as much as I like the quarter the rest of the time. To many people down there during Mardi Gras.

However, flamboyant behavior is expected at Mardi Gras. My point is that it just fuels the fire against gays to be to flamboyant. I realize its part of a backlash against bigotry to be so out there, so to speak, but I don't think it helps their cause. JMO.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:52 PM

4,529 posts, read 4,743,134 times
Quote:
Nope, I've been there twice actually.

I don't really enjoy Mardi Gras as much as I like the quarter the rest of the time. To many people down there during Mardi Gras.

However, flamboyant behavior is expected at Mardi Gras. My point is that it just fuels the fire against gays to be to flamboyant. I realize its part of a backlash against bigotry to be so out there, so to speak, but I don't think it helps their cause. JMO.
The people who it "inflames" are a minority and quite beneath the dignity of notice, IMHO.

And as the Nation pulls herself away from religious conservatism thanks to the GOP and Bush43, that minority, no matter how vocal, will be even more ignored, again IMHO.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:01 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,774,987 times
Quote:
Obviously you haven't seen Brokeback mountain on HBO recently.

Just because straight couples are portrayed on TV doesn't mean that gays are being discriminated against. It simply means that the majority people are straight, and Television stations try and broadcast what the majority of people want to see.

Actually there is more gay programming and scenes lately then there ever have been. Californication, the L word, and several other shows.
I didn't say there were no shows featuring intimacy between homosexuals. Of course there are more shows featuring heterosexual intimacy. My point is simply that of the sexuality that one could consider "paraded," most of it is hetero. My point is also that the same standard of public decency needs to apply to everyone equally; that is, if it's considered acceptable for a heterosexual couple to exchange a brief kiss in public, one should extend that same freedom to a homosexual couple. If it's against public decency or exposure laws to wear pants with holes in the rear end, then the sexuality of the wearer should essentially be irrelevant.

I hope I clarified my point? You're right about there being more programming and scenes than there were before -- I didn't know about Californication, though. I haven't really liked David Duchovny's acting since he left X-Files.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:02 AM

Quote:
I didn't say there were no shows featuring intimacy between homosexuals. Of course there are more shows featuring heterosexual intimacy. My point is simply that of the sexuality that one could consider "paraded," most of it is hetero. My point is also that the same standard of public decency needs to apply to everyone equally; that is, if it's considered acceptable for a heterosexual couple to exchange a brief kiss in public, one should extend that same freedom to a homosexual couple. If it's against public decency or exposure laws to wear pants with holes in the rear end, then the sexuality of the wearer should essentially be irrelevant.

I hope I clarified my point? You're right about there being more programming and scenes than there were before -- I didn't know about Californication, though. I haven't really liked David Duchovny's acting since he left X-Files.

Its a show based on "hollywood" types so to speak, there is going to be some gay stuff here and there.

I personally have no problem with two men or women kissing in a parade, that wasn't my point. My point was some gay guy with holes cut in leather pants in order to show off his butt cheeks is a little out there. A little to out there for me, and I understand that he can do that, but the better question is should he have done that. He is only fueling his critics by such action.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:39 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,085,401 times
Quote:
Its a show based on "hollywood" types so to speak, there is going to be some gay stuff here and there.

I personally have no problem with two men or women kissing in a parade, that wasn't my point. My point was some gay guy with holes cut in leather pants in order to show off his butt cheeks is a little out there. A little to out there for me, and I understand that he can do that, but the better question is should he have done that. He is only fueling his critics by such action.
Do you also critize women that have holes in their clothes, so you can see their bodies?
Its a parade, you know people dress up and are crazy during those things. They dont look like that every day and nobody forces you to go to a gay parade. What exactly makes you feel uncomfortable?
There are nudist beaches that I wouldnt go to, but that doesnt mean that it bothers me that nudist beaches exist.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:13 PM

742 posts, read 1,050,028 times
Quote:

why the hell not? hetero sexuality is the norm, so to speak.
on the other hand, i don't engage in public behavior that screams "hetero". whereas plenty of homosexuals seem to feel the need to make sure everyone around them knows their orientation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or