U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-24-2009, 11:42 AM
 
Location: southern california
53,717 posts, read 70,246,214 times
Reputation: 45395

Advertisements

i support gay marriage but for a different reason.
i think marriage is a circus and we are just adding one more ring.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2009, 11:44 AM
 
4,529 posts, read 4,621,097 times
Reputation: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Huh? A Nazi reference now? Seriously, this is great debates not 5th grade recess.

The majority of Americans, INCLUDING THE CURRENT PRESIDENT, don't support gay marriage. (Currently)

Go down to the local homeless shelter, food bank, people volunteering at nursing homes....then come back and tell me about all those awful religious people you met.

Demonizing an entire group because you are unhappy with the gay-marriage thing is childish. It's no different than some nutjob trying to paint all gays as pedophiles that prance about in tutus.
1. Obama also doesn't support DOMA or other federal laws inhibiting marriage, and does support civil unions.

2. Christian "charity" is hardly charity in the least. While I certainly agree that there are people who give from the heart (anonamouse is a busy guy), the religion in general uses "charity" to evengelize and prostylize.

Giving with an ulterior motive is NOT charity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2009, 11:57 AM
 
742 posts, read 1,022,049 times
Reputation: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
It has to be done...How does homosexualit hurt anyone?.
Yes homosexual lit is deadly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2009, 11:58 AM
 
742 posts, read 1,022,049 times
Reputation: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
1. Obama also doesn't support DOMA or other federal laws inhibiting marriage, and does support civil unions.

2. Christian "charity" is hardly charity in the least. While I certainly agree that there are people who give from the heart (anonamouse is a busy guy), the religion in general uses "charity" to evengelize and prostylize.

Giving with an ulterior motive is NOT charity.
bull****, so conversely, if i support your smoking habit so that you die faster,then my support is invalidated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2009, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
33,375 posts, read 31,164,013 times
Reputation: 48030
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
No, the "tax breaks" and legal aspects are brought up in the debate because the anti-equality crowd tends to insist that marriage somehow belongs to religion exclusively so gays can be excluded.

And there is no reason to "win people over". There simply is no rational, valid secular reason to deny gays Equality of Marriage.

We are a Constitutional Republic for a reason. Certain rights and privlages are inherently shared by each and every citizen, marriage being one of those rights, and who gets rights isn't open to the democratic process.
How is the way you've been going about it working out for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2009, 12:39 PM
 
46,525 posts, read 37,320,681 times
Reputation: 28833
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
1. Obama also doesn't support DOMA or other federal laws inhibiting marriage, and does support civil unions.

2. Christian "charity" is hardly charity in the least. While I certainly agree that there are people who give from the heart (anonamouse is a busy guy), the religion in general uses "charity" to evengelize and prostylize.

Giving with an ulterior motive is NOT charity.
Many people actually volunteer at charities because they feel it is the right thing to do. My dad, for example, stocks shelves at the local foodbank. He has zero interaction with the people that come in there. I've helped work at it too and there is absolutely zero religious conotation, just people coming in and getting food. (It's done in conjunction with the city so you can't be handing out bibles etc. due to public property etc.)

I think it's funny how people have a bone to pick with a certain group and just won't give an inch of ground. There are millions and millions of christians in this country, I just find it really odd that people lump them into some stereotype. Then again, it's no different than some small minded person thinking every gay guy is flaming gay menace to society.

I'm just noting that several people here are slandering a large swath of the population because they've had bad experiences with the more extreme portion of the group....and you are calling those people closed minded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2009, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,913 posts, read 6,913,083 times
Reputation: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
That's an important point though...

First of all, I cannot imagine why a homosexual couple would ever be a part of a church that condemns homosexuality - let alone, want to get married there and have a pastor perform a ceremony he believes strongly against.

I've run across some "church forums" where they're calling for the "rounding up and execution" of all homosexuals. It's rather shocking, not to mention appalling. But it'd be even more shocking if there were homosexuals that chose to be involved in those type religions.

So on one level, it seems that it would be a moot point.

On the other hand, the question that cannot be answered is whether or not churches (or other private organizations), that stand against homosexuality, are going to be legally forced to hire people they don't believe should be hired, and marry people they don't believe should be married.


So in a way, it's a weird question of whether my quest for civil rights should be allowed to infringe on the civil rights of somebody else.
Sure it can be answered. The state cannot force a church to marry someone it does not want to. The state has no such power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2009, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,913 posts, read 6,913,083 times
Reputation: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Because there is a serious danger of a social backlash occuring, and churches loosing their right to refuse providing wedding cerimonies based on religious principles.
What tripe, such an effort would not come close to passing a Constitutional test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2009, 02:02 PM
 
4,529 posts, read 4,621,097 times
Reputation: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
bull****, so conversely, if i support your smoking habit so that you die faster,then my support is invalidated?
Nice strawman.

Want to try again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2009, 02:07 PM
 
4,529 posts, read 4,621,097 times
Reputation: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How is the way you've been going about it working out for you?
For "me", as in a grandfather who advocates for Equality?

Quite well.

Six States down and heading towards SCOTUS, which we are confident will strick down each and every discriminatory marriage law in the country.

It will be very nice to have Equality in a Nation who prides itself on Equality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top