Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 04:30 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

But they are all effectively different religions, because man picked and chose what parts they wanted to believe--so religion is not set in stone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 06:05 AM

227 posts, read 535,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
I wasn't suggesting that.

What was being discussed at the time was "throwing one's sexuality in the face of others".
Sounds prit-near like the last Gay Pride parade I saw when I was in Lawton, Oklahoma sometime back. Come to think of it now that sounds like most gay pride parades including any Carnival, or Mardi Gras type event.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:39 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
You have Episcopalians, Baptists, Methodists, Lutherans, Evangelicals, Anglicans, Presbyterians, etc.--all saying that theirs is the "right" way, and all claiming to come from the same source, the same set of beliefs.

Even Muslims and Jews have different sects, thinking they have all the answers, and all claiming to come from the same source.

Would you say that they're all the SAME religion--or different ones? A Shiite and a Sunni Muslim, for instance. Same religion? An Orthodox, Reformed, or Hasidic Jew--all belong to the "same" religion?

No.
Yes.

There are over a thousand Christian Sects in North America alone, certainly.

Are there a thousand different bibles?

No.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:44 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
But there a thousand different interpretations of it...if not more, much more.

Remember, reality is subjective.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:18 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Okay I am so sick of people who are all about stopping the homosexual community from getting married and even having relationships with other homosexuals. How are they hurting you or anyone else by getting married or having a relationship with someone of the same sex?

If you cannot answer this question then you have no reason to pester these good people anymore. So go back to your bibles and close-minded lives and leave them alone.
There is no secular reason why homosexuals relationships should be outlawed.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:52 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,533 times
Quote:
I wasn't suggesting that.

What was being discussed at the time was "throwing one's sexuality in the face of others".

Unless one lives in one of five states that have dismantled and cast aside the medieval, draconian discrimination against gays and allows Equality of Marriage, one can readily see that someone wearing a wedding ring (like myself) is indeed hetero.

It was a tongue in cheek reference to a rather blatant display of heterosexuality, nothing more.
I see your point. But gay couples often wear bands even if not allowed to marry.

I feel that two consenting adults over the age of 18 should be able to enter into a legal relationship. From a legal aspect - that is all a marriage is.

When looking from a spiritual aspect - If you don't believe that gay couple should marry, then don't belong to a church that marries them.

At the same time, I don't think a church should be required to perform marriage ceremonies.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:32 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
There is no secular reason why homosexuals relationships should be outlawed.
and on the other hand theres no secular reason why they should exist (gay marriage that is).

Old 09-15-2009, 06:03 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainelander View Post
and on the other hand theres no secular reason why they should exist (gay marriage that is).
Plenty of secular reasoning for same-gendered marriages.

Gays pay taxes just like everyone else, so they should be able to enjoy the same rights and privilages my wife and I have for the past twenty years, over a thousand plus rights and privilages bestowed upon us the moment we both uttered "I do" in from of the Justice of the Peace.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:09 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,285 times
Quote:
Plenty of secular reasoning for same-gendered marriages.

Gays pay taxes just like everyone else, so they should be able to enjoy the same rights and privilages my wife and I have for the past twenty years, over a thousand plus rights and privilages bestowed upon us the moment we both uttered "I do" in from of the Justice of the Peace.
AH! but let's be accurate here, if civil unions were universally equivalent to straight marriage, the activist homos would still demand it be Called marriage. that's the nut of it, if you will.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:12 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainelander View Post
AH! but let's be accurate here, if civil unions were universally equivalent to straight marriage, the activist homos would still demand it be Called marriage. that's the nut of it, if you will.
Were? What does that mean? They are not equivalent under the law and vary from state to state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates