Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 02:09 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,407,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
What tripe, such an effort would not come close to passing a Constitutional test.
Oh? Our current Motto and Pledge make a clear establishment of religion, yet those passed through Congress.

While this Nation was designed to keep a Tyranny of the Majority at bay, occasionally it still slips through in popular opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Many people actually volunteer at charities because they feel it is the right thing to do. My dad, for example, stocks shelves at the local foodbank. He has zero interaction with the people that come in there. I've helped work at it too and there is absolutely zero religious conotation, just people coming in and getting food. (It's done in conjunction with the city so you can't be handing out bibles etc. due to public property etc.)

I think it's funny how people have a bone to pick with a certain group and just won't give an inch of ground. There are millions and millions of christians in this country, I just find it really odd that people lump them into some stereotype. Then again, it's no different than some small minded person thinking every gay guy is flaming gay menace to society.

I'm just noting that several people here are slandering a large swath of the population because they've had bad experiences with the more extreme portion of the group....and you are calling those people closed minded.
Please reread the post you responded to, and pelase pay attention to the wording this time.

Every single point you make above was addressed in that post.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Sure it can be answered. The state cannot force a church to marry someone it does not want to. The state has no such power.
Can a church refuse to marry an inter-racial couple?

Old 08-24-2009, 02:30 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,056,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Oh? Our current Motto and Pledge make a clear establishment of religion, yet those passed through Congress.

While this Nation was designed to keep a Tyranny of the Majority at bay, occasionally it still slips through in popular opinion.
OK Chicken Little you win -- the sky is falling, the sky is falling.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:31 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,056,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Can a church refuse to marry an inter-racial couple?
Churches can refuse to marry anyone they please, including interracial couples.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
OK Chicken Little you win -- the sky is falling, the sky is falling.
Yup, try to watch out for you people, and I get spit on. Figures.

Quote:
Churches can refuse to marry anyone they please, including interracial couples.
We shall see.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:41 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,638,148 times
Quote:
Sure it can be answered. The state cannot force a church to marry someone it does not want to. The state has no such power.
Yet.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:37 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,359,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Where am I bringing it up as a point of argument.

Oooops!!! I'm not!

You lose. Again.
Other people brought it up, someone responded to them. Your responded to their response by asking why he was bashing the church. I was just giving you the reason why people bash the church in these arguments.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:39 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,638,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Other people brought it up, someone responded to them. Your responded to their response by asking why he was bashing the church. I was just giving you the reason why people bash the church in these arguments.
In other words, you've got nothing.

You were wrongly yelling at me, thinking it was somebody else.

Confession duly noted.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:43 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,359,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
In other words, you've got nothing.

You were wrongly yelling at me, thinking it was somebody else.

Confession duly noted.
I yelled at you, I don't remember you being next door to me and my yelling at you.

No, I've got plenty. You asked why someone was attacking religion all of the time, when this subject comes up. I was explaining to you that religion makes for an easy argument, because you can't support it.

BTW, I haven't heard anyone in this thread talk about the topic, of how homosexual marriage is dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates