U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:31 AM

284 posts, read 467,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
why do people talk about this so much> the ONLY person you need to convince is your spouse.
Why do people talk about ANYTHING so much then?
Are you the only person your spouse listens to?
Do you allow your spouse to partake in public discourse as a means of forming an opinion?
A good way to convince an obstinate adversary (spouse) is to expose them to others who share your opnion.
Also, some posters might actually be trying to influence people other than their spouses. Yours truly, for instance. I am divorced and have not recently impregnated any women (as far as I know), but I have recently witnessed a circumcision. I left the room with tears in my eyes and the unfortunate child was not even a relation of mine. I think that all parents should at least watch a video of a circumcision before they decide to have the procedure performed on their child.

When I look down at my own circumcision I often wonder what my life would have been like if the doctor made a mistake and cut too much off.
I need every inch I can get as it is.

In my opinion, circumcision is a barbaric custom no different than the female cicumcision practiced in some parts of the world. I laugh when I hear people say that it is the "civilized" thing to do.

Last edited by NEWARK MAGIC; 08-25-2009 at 10:14 AM..

Old 08-25-2009, 10:09 AM

2,005 posts, read 5,121,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I didn't say Europe, I said Africa.
I know that the study was done in Africa. My point was that European men seldom are circumcised and there isn't any higher number of HIV cases than in the US.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:26 AM

8,293 posts, read 22,453,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
I know that the study was done in Africa. My point was that European men seldom are circumcised and there isn't any higher number of HIV cases than in the US.
How do you know that?

I'm not arguing the point, I'm just wondering how you know that to be true.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:50 AM

481 posts, read 807,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
And for that, we salute you.
Haha, right back at ya.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:02 PM

481 posts, read 807,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWARK MAGIC View Post
Why do people talk about ANYTHING so much then?
Are you the only person your spouse listens to?
Do you allow your spouse to partake in public discourse as a means of forming an opinion?
A good way to convince an obstinate adversary (spouse) is to expose them to others who share your opnion.
Also, some posters might actually be trying to influence people other than their spouses. Yours truly, for instance. I am divorced and have not recently impregnated any women (as far as I know), but I have recently witnessed a circumcision. I left the room with tears in my eyes and the unfortunate child was not even a relation of mine. I think that all parents should at least watch a video of a circumcision before they decide to have the procedure performed on their child.

When I look down at my own circumcision I often wonder what my life would have been like if the doctor made a mistake and cut too much off.

In my opinion, circumcision is a barbaric custom no different than the female cicumcision practiced in some parts of the world. I laugh when I hear people say that it is the "civilized" thing to do.
My dear, if that is what you think of when you look "down there" then you need to get laid! I'm just saying. Look if you want to morn your foreskin, more power to you. But considering I am Jewish and around quite a lot of deskinned men, I can say with experience that your penial depression is not the norm. And on that note, I find it ridiculous that you would use the owrd barbaric and liken it to female circ in any way. To me that is just hyperbolic rhetoric thrown around in ignorance. I'm surprised you didn't go for the abuse angle. If you are against circ, then if you have a son, don't get him one. But I think there are much more barbaric and horrible causes one can advocate against other then a doctor recommended and performed procedure that is done in a hospital (or at a bris in my case) by a trained professional and takes all of 5 mins if that and the child never thinks about again for the rest of their life. Well except for those few who have nothing better to do then mourn the loss of their foreskin

Old 08-25-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
How do you know that?

I'm not arguing the point, I'm just wondering how you know that to be true.
It's well documented that Euro men aren't unless they are Jewish. My husband is not and he is European. There are stats on that sort of thing. And my husband has never known any of his buddies to be circumcised unless they were Jews, it's just one of those things. They don't do it. In fact, there are more men in the world who aren't than who are. Americans are the largest group that is circumcised. Just a fact.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
My dear, if that is what you think of when you look "down there" then you need to get laid! I'm just saying. Look if you want to morn your foreskin, more power to you. But considering I am Jewish and around quite a lot of deskinned men, I can say with experience that your penial depression is not the norm. And on that note, I find it ridiculous that you would use the owrd barbaric and liken it to female circ in any way. To me that is just hyperbolic rhetoric thrown around in ignorance. I'm surprised you didn't go for the abuse angle. If you are against circ, then if you have a son, don't get him one. But I think there are much more barbaric and horrible causes one can advocate against other then a doctor recommended and performed procedure that is done in a hospital (or at a bris in my case) by a trained professional and takes all of 5 mins if that and the child never thinks about again for the rest of their life. Well except for those few who have nothing better to do then mourn the loss of their foreskin
haha... my brother actually wishes he didn't have it done. Sex is better with it than without it... so they say.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:17 PM
miu

16,469 posts, read 33,412,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWARK MAGIC View Post
I have recently witnessed a circumcision. I left the room with tears in my eyes and the unfortunate child was not even a relation of mine. I think that all parents should at least watch a video of a circumcision before they decide to have the procedure performed on their child.
Most people can't stomach watching any sort of surgical procedure at all. Why don't you try watching a heart transplant procedure too while you're at it...
Quote:
So stop staring at your penis!!!

Old 08-25-2009, 12:42 PM

20,014 posts, read 20,504,984 times
I had both of my sons circumcised. The dr. never recommended or pushed the issue. The question was asked and I was given a release form to sign. It cost about an additional 20+ bucks back then. I was given instructions on caring for the circumcision. End of story.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:56 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,453,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I had both of my sons circumcised. The dr. never recommended or pushed the issue. The question was asked and I was given a release form to sign. It cost about an additional 20+ bucks back then. I was given instructions on caring for the circumcision. End of story.
Yep. Pretty much.

I'm not in favor of anybody being forced to undergo any kind of circumcision. But there does seem to be a fairly large body of evidence suggesting that there are health benefits.

http://www.circinfo.net/pdfs/GFM-EN.pdf (broken link)

CIRCUMCISION: An Evidence-Based Appraisal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates