U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:31 PM

284 posts, read 468,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I think that circumcision is probably a better and more beneficial practice in cultures where there is not very good hygiene.

Which cultures are you specifically refering to?

Old 08-25-2009, 08:33 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,479,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWARK MAGIC View Post
Which cultures are you specifically refering to?
Ancient cultures, for one.

Third world countries for another.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Ancient cultures, for one.

Third world countries for another.
I have been to plenty of third world countries and I never perceived a problem in any one of them with personal cleanliness in general, or any more than in the United States.

Could you be more specific? Which countries are you speaking of exactly? (I refuse to believe that you think that the majority of people in third world countries are not cleaning themselves properly; or do you?)

Old 08-25-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
I have been to plenty of third world countries and I never perceived a problem in any one of them with personal cleanliness in general, or any more than in the United States.

Could you be more specific? Which countries are you speaking of exactly? (I refuse to believe that you think that the majority of people in third world countries are not cleaning themselves properly; or do you?)
You know, it really doesn't matter to me at all what you think of circumcision. I don't care what anybody does.

But there does seem to be a body of evidence supporting the health/medical benefits of it. That is all.

CIRCUMCISION: An Evidence-Based Appraisal

Old 08-25-2009, 09:01 PM

22,745 posts, read 21,804,424 times
People running to a border to try and escape with with their lives, crowded into camps, starvation, or a filthy water supply do not equal good hygiene. No one is suggesting that people in other countries don't wash, but rather that circumstances can be vile.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
People running to a border to try and escape with with their lives, crowded into camps, starvation, or a filthy water supply do not equal good hygiene. No one is suggesting that people in other countries don't wash, but rather that circumstances can be vile.
How do you know what the poster was suggesting? Do you have ESP?

Old 08-26-2009, 01:10 AM

29,630 posts, read 31,948,941 times
Quote:

It's probably more an issue of less medical treatments for minor things...an infection could lead to something more serious, etc.

No, I'm not a mind reader and don't know for SURE what the poster had in mind, but I don't need ESP to see that you are itching for an arguement. In many 3rd world countries there are more problems with hygine, lack of clean water, etc. etc. I don't know where you have been specifically but you can't deny that.

I don't care about circ. myself. But all the men in my life have had it done and nobody is complaining.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:44 AM

22,745 posts, read 21,804,424 times
As a matter of fact...

Quote:
How do you know what the poster was suggesting? Do you have ESP?

Old 08-26-2009, 08:26 AM

8,812 posts, read 9,635,219 times
I wonder how many thousands of years did cave men live before they too thought, "lets pound off this skin with a sharp stone, to keep it clean in there"

Old 08-26-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I wonder how many thousands of years did cave men live before they too thought, "lets pound off this skin with a sharp stone, to keep it clean in there"
Valid point. But it might also be good to know how many cavemen lived longer than 25 years and/or what diseases or infections killed them off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates