U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 07:09 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,738,300 times

Advertisements

I bring a thread on Woodstock and it gets moved, as have been other thread.

Yet they leave "Define "GOOD"" as a suitable thread. Really? What's so great about debating the word "good"?

I'm thinking there's an agenda here. How about we debate that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 10:22 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
Note that the person who posted the "Define Good" thread was the first person who responded to your Woodstock thread.

I agree with you, your Woodstock post was legitimate, particularly because it addressed the social phenomenon associated with historical times, and not the event itself. And you even reminded posters of that when they digressed in the wrong direction. Which is a way of saying that even Great Debates is not grown up enough to embrace such a deep concept as you intended to raise.

We need to recognize that this is a moderated forum, and from time to time there are highly inappropriate threads, and if you were moderator, you wouldn't be perfect, either. Throwing a thread into the cockfight called "politics and controvesy", though, is the most mean-spirited of insults.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:49 AM

31,385 posts, read 31,057,040 times
Clearly Woodstock is not a pressing or profound enough of an issue to be worthy of our discourse as let's say...

Mother-in-laws

The anatomy of a yuppie!

Homicide does not mean murder!

Dick's Sporting Goods not stocking Michael Vick jerseys

Vick apologizes - "I'm super sorry"

Dogs and pigs as a food source

Old 08-30-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Note that the person who posted the "Define Good" thread was the first person who responded to your Woodstock thread.

I agree with you, your Woodstock post was legitimate, particularly because it addressed the social phenomenon associated with historical times, and not the event itself. And you even reminded posters of that when they digressed in the wrong direction. Which is a way of saying that even Great Debates is not grown up enough to embrace such a deep concept as you intended to raise.

We need to recognize that this is a moderated forum, and from time to time there are highly inappropriate threads, and if you were moderator, you wouldn't be perfect, either. Throwing a thread into the cockfight called "politics and controvesy", though, is the most mean-spirited of insults.

I'm thinking you're on target and that it was the mods way of expressing an opinion on the topic. Then again I could be wrong as I'm not perfect. Yeah, let's talk about Walmart or something.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Clearly Woodstock is not a pressing or profound enough of an issue to be worthy of our discourse as let's say...

Mother-in-laws: An intensely important topic if you are weak kneed and unable to say, "Sweety I love you, and I know you love your mom, but that doesn't mean I want to talk about her instead of you."

The anatomy of a yuppie!: "Yuppie" what the heck is that term, aren't they called metrosexuals now?

Homicide does not mean murder!: Of course it doesn't and and prison doesn't mean you're being punished.

Dick's Sporting Goods not stocking Michael Vick jerseys: Walmart, let's talk about Walmart!!

Vick apologizes - "I'm super sorry": Does "super" sorry mean more than merely "sorry"? Could it be that he "super" sorry because the fiasco has cost him dearly?

Dogs and pigs as a food source. Pigs are bacon, dogs eat bacon, you are what you eat so dogs are bacon.
See comments in bold above, clearly these topics are quite profound too! Yeah, let's talk about them....uh huh.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:47 PM

And then there's the constant re-posting of articles that appear on Yahoo News. That's okay, I guess, but what's the point?

Old 08-31-2009, 08:30 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,718,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Mother-in-laws

The anatomy of a yuppie!

Homicide does not mean murder!

Dick's Sporting Goods not stocking Michael Vick jerseys

Vick apologizes - "I'm super sorry"

Dogs and pigs as a food source
Then again, in an age when "American Idol" touches off arguments, the concept of a great debate is somewhat watered down.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:30 AM

31,385 posts, read 31,057,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Then again, in an age when "American Idol" touches off arguments, the concept of a great debate is somewhat watered down.
Sparked by Jon Stewart's replay of various recent Congressional speeches, I went back a reread some of the great speeches that have been delivered on the floors of both House, the differences between a Daniel Webster and a Michelle Bachmann (just to point out the extremes) is more than a little disheartening. So, I know what you mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates