Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:46 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,662,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
From Faux or the Communist Channel? Come on now, Omaha.

What deer in the headlights look?

He is working over time. Whether you choose to realize this or not, it is not so far fetched for us to be sanctioned. Do you realize the impact that this would have? Do you realize that this is being discussed in other countries?

He has been working hard as hell to repair the damage in the international community. He has tried to be as transparent as possible domestic wise and international wise.

Yet, the best we can do is say there is a deer in the headlight look.
Who said anything about FoxNews? I never watch it, but by mentioning it, your underwear is showing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm not surprised that the changes haven't been implemented in a mere 7 months...but by the apparent lack of progress, direction and in some cases backtracking from MAJOR MAJOR campaign positions. The big 3 were the war, the economy and healthcare.
Actually, I'd assert that there were 4 MAJOR campaign positions: Add "Blame George Bush for Everything" to your already-mentioned 3.

Well... Bush is out of the picture, and is being weirdly silent (we could only wish Cheney would just shut up too), so now the attention has fully turned to Obama.

But you're right. The War, The Economy, and Healthcare all seem to be at a stalemate. And the current Administration seems to be spinning its wheels.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:26 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Actually, I'd assert that there were 4 MAJOR campaign positions: Add "Blame George Bush for Everything" to your already-mentioned 3.

Well... Bush is out of the picture, and is being weirdly silent (we could only wish Cheney would just shut up too), so now the attention has fully turned to Obama.

But you're right. The War, The Economy, and Healthcare all seem to be at a stalemate. And the current Administration seems to be spinning its wheels.
It's still early, we shall see. The irony here of course being that McCain really only differed from Obama on how to proceed with Iraq and the extent to which healthcare would be addressed. (He also wanted Gitmo shut down so I have to give Obama tentative credit for that but it depends what they do with the guys when they close it).

So, from what I can see...many of Obama's policies are compromising or reverting closer to McCains positions. Granted, those guys are both somewhat moderate and not that far apart on many issues. (I like them both actually).
I predicted before that Obama would wind up a moderate pres. like Clinton and that many of the further left libs were going to be upset if they managed to pry their party loyalty blinders off...and that the far right was way off the mark on Obama being some far left type.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's still early, we shall see. The irony here of course being that McCain really only differed from Obama on how to proceed with Iraq and the extent to which healthcare would be addressed. (He also wanted Gitmo shut down so I have to give Obama tentative credit for that but it depends what they do with the guys when they close it).

So, from what I can see...many of Obama's policies are compromising or reverting closer to McCains positions. Granted, those guys are both somewhat moderate and not that far apart on many issues. (I like them both actually).
I predicted before that Obama would wind up a moderate pres. like Clinton and that many of the further left libs were going to be upset if they managed to pry their party loyalty blinders off...and that the far right was way off the mark on Obama being some far left type.
The primary difference between McCain and Obama was age, not ideology.

You also mention people being wrong about Obama being a far-left type... I think they people who mistakenly thought that were many of the people who voted for him. And those very people are the ones who are now becoming disenchanted.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:07 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,671,947 times
The people who are most likely to jump off the Obama wagon would be those who had expectations of him telling Wall Street that the free lunch days are over.

I know plenty of disenchanted voters of the Dem persuasion that felt Obama's administration could have, and should have, given a lot more direct aid to those little guys who were the victims of those he helped. Dick Greggory, the comedian, was known to end his routine with the phrase, "if you don't think you're getting screwed, just look in your wallet", politics can usually be cooked down to the level of, "show me the money", everything else is just fluff to the average American........

Old 09-01-2009, 12:08 PM

25,684 posts, read 18,773,845 times
The wheels that this nation put under Obama's bus was like putting monster truck tires on a matchbox toy car. Of course the wheels fell off. No man on the face of this planet could possibly have lived up to the hype from before the election; he was to be the messiah. He's not. Now we are stomping our little feet, folding our arms, and pouting. Well isn't that just too bad. Next time you try making a man into a god, you might reconsider. How much do you really expect one man to do in a nation controlled by big money, greed, and corruption?

As for me, it's no let down at all. When one doesn't expect anything, one is never let down.

I don't ever remember this country having a president in my lifetime. Obama has three years and four months for me to decide whether that's still the case.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:35 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,283,997 times
I think to expect solutions to the serious problems facing this country after seven months in office is indicative of:

1. Wishful thinking.
2. A t.v. mentality where all problems are magically resolved within a one or two hour program.
3. People who aren't very bright.

The problems that face America from the economy, to healthcare, to the wars in the Middleast can't be resolved instantaneously. However, there are promising signs that the economy is starting to heal. It will take a year or so to really be certain. What I will call the "meltdown time" has clearly passed and we all should be grateful.

Obama himself said that in two years he doubted all these problems would be resolved. He just hoped to make progress. Its all I expect too. I'll take Obama any day over some firebrand GOP conservative who thinks we would have been better served by letting the financial services sector go under. People like that have no idea what the implications for all of us would have been.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:33 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,671,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I think to expect solutions to the serious problems facing this country after seven months in office is indicative of:

1. Wishful thinking.
2. A t.v. mentality where all problems are magically resolved within a one or two hour program.

The problems that face America from the economy, to healthcare, to the wars in the Middleast can't be resolved instantaneously. However, there are promising signs that the economy is starting to heal. It will take a year or so to really be certain. What I will call the "meltdown time" has clearly passed and we all should be grateful.

Obama himself said that in two years he doubted all these problems would be resolved. He just hoped to make progress. Its all I expect too. I'll take Obama any day over some firebrand GOP conservative who thinks we would have been better served by letting the financial services sector go under. People like that have no idea what the implications for all of us would have been.
I am wondering why you would claim to have seen the worst of this economic crash, we have yet to figure out what to do with the numerous insolvent banks, ditto for the remaining results of the retail real estate market fallout, that is just beginning to show signs of the unsustainable situation so many retailers have found themselves in.

if we are to believe the news types, you'd think this has been just another burp in the financial system, however, a lot of the more economically astute writers are pointing to a darker reality, and that would be the huge amount of debt that most nations have incurred in their currency printing, free for all.

I don't have any expectations of a political solution to a very complex set of economic hurdles we will need to overcome before we see any real "healing". In light of these realities, I don't see the Obama approval rating as anything but the reversal of the far fetched expectations of those who had no reason to believe the hype in the first place.

As for the direness of large financial and insurance concerns going broke, I wonder if you had considered the horror that is implied in saving the big boys at the expense of hard working families, I doubt that many of those poor folk's are celebrating the fact that this administration saw fit to bail out Wall Street and the Banks while allowing them to suffer the consequences of the fat cat's actions.

For the record, I certainly don't believe that "the other guys" would have done anything different, after all, they both work for the same bosses. If I have any expectations, they would be in keeping with the political reality that we all have to face, and that is that there isn't much difference between the two parties in America, to some people this is just nonsense, but, as the old saying goes, the proof 's in the pudding.

Last edited by jertheber; 09-01-2009 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-01-2009, 04:05 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
jertheber wrote:
For the record, I certainly don't believe that "the other guys" would have done anything different, after all, they both work for the same bosses. If I have any expectations, they would be in keeping with the political reality that we all have to face, and that is that there isn't much difference between the two parties in America, to some people this is just nonsense, but, as the old saying goes, the proof 's in the pudding.
As an independent, I'm inclined to agree with the parts of your statment that I made bold. The main difference, is personality and likeability. IMO, in that regard Obama has a B-I-G advantage over the other parties wannabe president who lost the election. If nothing else, at least we have a likeable, intelligent, somewhat believable guy in the white house now. That is one change from the previous 8 years that I am truly enjoying. Nonetheless, we'll have to wait and see if the outcome is any different with Obama at the helm.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:42 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

1. Wishful thinking.

I agree with regards to the economy and to some extent healthcare. However, there was this HUGE issue for the past 2 years (I've linked several) about deaths in Iraq and getting the troops home, timetables etc. I can (and have) linked to many many statements made about this from Pelosi, Obama etc. Now they get in office and *poof*.

Hey, I will give them time, I'm not unreasonable but the 180 they seem to be pulling on Iraq is very discouraging. What are your thoughts specifically on their position regarding Iraq before and after the election?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates