Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:56 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,662,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
American christians are smugly pretentious, self-righteous phonies that have nothing to do with Jesus, other than using the name. They are outraged if anyone dares challenge their self-proclaimed superiority and morals.
The best attitude one can have is to leave American christian moral values in the slop pit where they (the morals) belong.
Wow. Now THIS is a well thought-out, intelligent, reasonable post - one where shallow bigotry, ignorance and petty hatred is absent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 09:56 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
American christians are smugly pretentious, self-righteous phonies that have nothing to do with Jesus, other than using the name. They are outraged if anyone dares challenge their self-proclaimed superiority and morals.
The best attitude one can have is to leave American christian moral values in the slop pit where they (the morals) belong.
Spoken like a true American. You should read Jturs post above. He and I have some serious differences in our views, but he hit the nail square on this. "Self proclaimed'? Smugly pretentious"? Pray tell (pun intended) are your views any different? I can't see it, personally. But thats just me aye.............

Old 09-02-2009, 10:56 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,703,597 times
The first amendment was meant to persuade, not Incite.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:59 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Lol, as to 'proof' people who live a life of faith don't need any proof as to how they feel, or what they believe. Thus the word "faith'. I do not agree with teaching creation , as a fact, but nor does Darwinism have the high ground either. All that can be done is to present what is known. I have my own theories about how we came to be. To my thinking, this is what we need to encourage. Independent thought and rationale. Not to any one specific subject, just as a whole. So, YOU have never heard a teacher, educator, whatever you wish to call them, state an anti faith stance and you choose to view secularism as non dogmatic. I never heard a grade school teacher take an anti faith stance, but upper high school and college I most certainly have. The whole thing boils down to a matter of personal choice. As Omaha said, the secular crap has gone way to far. They are the ones who get to pick and choose what is acceptable for display, or what is taught and how it is taught etc, yet deny there is any dogma in their views and choices. and they cite the Constitution as their rationale. How is that NOT dogmatic, when secular humanism is being presented as fact? Coupled with the fact that people of faith cannot discuss their views against evolution and Darwinism in a classroom setting, I say it is dogma and indoctrination. Lol, how about the old free exchange of ideas and beliefs? Nope, can't do that. Unconstitutional ya know.
Never heard of it in highschool. I did hear it in college. However, college is elective, you pay for what you get. Just like any private institution, you don't have to be there, if you disagree with the subject matter.

Oh, and it was a religious studies class that I heard this in, so it was actually relevant. Never heard my Physics teacher say, "The big bang theory rules out a God" or anything close to that.

Creationism being taught in school is based on religion, and should be kept out of the class room. Evolution is the scientific accepted theory of how we came to be. We can't prove it, because we don't have a time machine. However, carbon dating of rocks, and the testing of radioactive half lives have acurately dated the Earth to be about 4.5 billion years old. Any teaching that shows that the Earth is only 6000, or 10,000 or 1 million years old has been proven wrong and wrong again.

Now I'm sure someone will post a link, to a religious linked website that shows some crazy theory that the Earth is only 6,000 years old. However, they can't show a real scientific, peer reviewed study that shows this.

I actually believe in a creation story. I believe that some higher power created all of this, Science can't explain the big bang as of yet. However, saying that evolution didn't happen, simply because it threatens your views of your religion is silly. If you think that the Earth is 6,000 years old, teach that to your kids, at home. As for me, I want my schools to teach science. Peer reviewed, majority accepted by the scientific community, science.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:04 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,662,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
As for me, I want my schools to teach science. Peer reviewed, majority accepted by the scientific community, science.
Which "science"? The science of 35 years ago, when I was in school and they were cramming an entirely different "theory of evolution" down our throats - claiming it was scientifically proven fact - only to have all these facts now reversed because science has proven them wrong?

I'm rather surprised by how much faith you put in something that claims to be scientific fact, yet keeps changing.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:10 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Which "science"? The science of 35 years ago, when I was in school and they were cramming an entirely different "theory of evolution" down our throats - claiming it was scientifically proven fact - only to have all these facts now reversed because science has proven them wrong?

I'm rather surprised by how much faith you put in something that claims to be scientific fact, yet keeps changing.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:19 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gospelvibes View Post
Your wrong ! Divorce is legal in the world of sin, just like two men and two women can get married although they weren't created to be together!! go figure. This is all sin! Sin is Sin!
The truth shall make YOU!! free! JOHN8:32

John 1:17 For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ.
"So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeedJohn 8:36

JESUS IS LORD!! ANYONE WHO DOESN'T BELIEVE THIS IS INSANE AND SATAN BOUND!
The quote above is a perfect example of why religion and politics should never mix, and most certainly not in a democratic society!

It is people who beliefs are similar to "gospelvibes" that keep most who have good sense and working brains in their head to distance themselves, if not from religion, than from religious fanatics! One of my favorite co-workers is a Baptist Minister, young guy, very smart and very well educated, who just doesn't quite understand why "Christians" cannot follow Christ without condemning those who have different beliefs. I will quote briefly from an article he recently wrote on this subject. "Some of the things that I just don't understand about Christians is why they must believe that everyone else is wrong, just because they believe that they are right." I am, in face, in an ongoing dialogue with him about the quality of "Christian" beliefs, due to just such input as that of the above poster.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:46 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,292,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Yeah, the religious Atheists want you to do whatever you want to do. But you CAN'T teach anything but evolution in the public schools. You CAN'T have any religious symbols displayed anywhere that might offend an Atheist - whether on public or private property. You CAN'T have any sort of prayers in public schools. You CAN'T celebrate holidays as religious holidays, but accepting pay for not working on those holidays is fine.

Other than these, and a myriad of other things Atheists insist you CAN'T do, everybody is pretty much free to do whatever we want.
I couldn't give you another rep so soon, Omaha, but this is damn profound.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:50 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
The quote above is a perfect example of why religion and politics should never mix, and most certainly not in a democratic society!

It is people who beliefs are similar to "gospelvibes" that keep most who have good sense and working brains in their head to distance themselves, if not from religion, than from religious fanatics! One of my favorite co-workers is a Baptist Minister, young guy, very smart and very well educated, who just doesn't quite understand why "Christians" cannot follow Christ without condemning those who have different beliefs. I will quote briefly from an article he recently wrote on this subject. "Some of the things that I just don't understand about Christians is why they must believe that everyone else is wrong, just because they believe that they are right." I am, in face, in an ongoing dialogue with him about the quality of "Christian" beliefs, due to just such input as that of the above poster.

I am thinking that that preacher's problem isn't with people, it is with the Bible being the word of God. Apparently he does not equate " following Christ" with following the doctrine of Christ as recorded in the book known as The Bible.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:57 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Here is the central point. Fred Phelps uses an aeroplane to go to places where he speaks. The reason aeroplanes exist is because intelligent men before him very, very, very rigorously applied scientific method to test their theories of heavier-than-air flight, aeronautical navigation, and propulsion. Scientific method is worth knowing about:

A scientific method consists of the collection of data through observation and experimentation, and the formulation and testing of hypotheses. Scientific researchers propose hypotheses as explanations of phenomena, and design experimental studies to test these hypotheses. These steps must be repeatable in order to dependably predict any future results. ---Wikipedia.

Phelps is perfectly happy to luxuriate in the fruits of scientific method to make his toast and marmalade in the morning, but not one single scrap of anything that he espouses has ever met even the slightest standard of scientific method. This makes Phelps, and others like him, among other things, a hypocrite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates