Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 06:03 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
I am sorry but the bible has little if any fact to it. When it comes to the creation of the world I will gladly except the science version of it over the God made version of it. Here is a question...if creationism it true and should be taught...then we need to trace it back to its basic roots even if in theory only...so creationism says God created the world and everything on it...okay then what created God? what created the creator of God? What or who was their creator?

Fact is, everything we have now came from somewhere millions of years ago...how do we know this...because we live on a planet in a solar system which is in a galaxy which is in a universe which has a miltiverse and so on an so on...we are not the center piece to this galaxy. We have tested and preven intruments to measure, weigh, and validate things. The theory of a big bang is more exceptable than say...a mytholigical being slapping his hands together and poof...the world, humans and everything we know are born...yeah....a greater being created the mess we have today...if its true...we out to hang the creator for creating such an F'ed up mess...if there is a creator why do those who dont deserve anything bad happen to them die, get sick, lose everything, or suffer for something they didnt do? Why do the bad people flourish?

If you say that satan is responsible, then dont you think the creator owes us for creating satan? after all he did create everything. which means he created Evil as well...so would that not make your creator similar to a kid with a magnifying glass and an ant hill?

Science has more proof than the bible...it can be calculated, measured, weighed, and studied.

The bible can only be guessed upon, what the bible actually means we dont know. It could in fact be the word of a god...but we can not know that for sure, there is no evidance to back it up.
Once again, your hatred and bigotry is in full view of everyone. And, as I've said before, you're no different than the cranky old homophobe who is always bringing "dem d*mn homos!" into every conversation.

YOU NEED THERAPY. SERIOUSLY, YOU DO.

So... Why don't you give me some quotes where I've insisted that "creationism" be taught in the schools?

And while you're at it, why don't you point us all toward some of those hundreds upon hundreds of millions of fossilized transitional life forms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 06:43 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,352,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Once again, your hatred and bigotry is in full view of everyone. And, as I've said before, you're no different than the cranky old homophobe who is always bringing "dem d*mn homos!" into every conversation.

YOU NEED THERAPY. SERIOUSLY, YOU DO.

So... Why don't you give me some quotes where I've insisted that "creationism" be taught in the schools?

And while you're at it, why don't you point us all toward some of those hundreds upon hundreds of millions of fossilized transitional life forms?
Where does it say I hate anyone? where Does it say I hate Christians? I dont hate anyone for their beliefs.

Quote:
So why are you so hell-bent on getting unproven science taught in public schools? And why are you so hell-bent on unproven science being the only thing taught in public schools?
This is where you are saying you want creationism taught in schools. Or did you mean something else?

I think The whole creation of the world thing(both scientific and religious) should be kept out of the schools until high School. Then it should be an elective that the student can choose for themselves, and no one can say either side is being forced on anyone.

To answer your question about evolution...I am not a scientist, but if you do some research you can find this stuff. Now before you go on saying that you shouldnt have to do the research...you are wrong, it is not up to me to convince you, anything I show you will just be replied to as there is a hole there and and hole here, or this proof makes no sense...and so on. You will only see what you want to see. Just as if I was to ask you for proof of God or Creationism...there is no way you could prove that. And any "proof" you do find, I will also read holes into it and see it how I see it.

This is exactly why it should be a choice and in the end, we will know who the winner is.

But, I do have a few questions that I am curious about...

1. If we are here based on intellegant design..
A. Why does the universe keep expanding?
B. Why is there evil?
C. What is the designer afraid of, why dont they show themselves? They created us and should know most humans dont just take your word for things...we require proof.

2. Where did the dinosaur fossils come from? The bible doesnt speak about them.

3. If the world was "created" by an intellegant being, why is the earth constantly shifting? Why do continents drift further apart? The earth changes everyday...if it was created, why must it change?

4. You know the earth is round right? The bible doesnt say that. There are alot of things that the bible was wrong about. Human error right? Wrong, the bible is said to be the word of God through his people. So you would think that if there was an error in it, God would have had them fix it. Why would God want a book about truth, that had incorrect info?

Old 09-04-2009, 07:23 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Basically atehtist seem very self center and angry all the time. They need to get a life and just move on because christians are not going to listen to them.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:22 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basically atehtist seem very self center and angry all the time. They need to get a life and just move on because christians are not going to listen to them.
Actually most people seem to think I'm quite a nice person, or so they say. Now I'm not a atheist, but I don't believe in anyone elses God either.

Most people want their children to be taught actual science in school. Science backed up by fact, not speculation. Evolution has several facts backing it up, the fossil record, carbon dating, and DNA mapping. Creationism is only backed up by a religious belief that the world was created in 6 days, and has only been around for 6 to 10,000 years.

As I've said before, if someone can prove the point that the Earth was created by a diety, and the planet is 10,000 years old, and that humans have been around since the beginning of time, then I would more than happy to have that taught in school. However, there is no proof of this, none. There is speculation and conjecture, but nothing more.

Evolution is accepted by the scientific community and most people in the world because it has real hands on proof. And the kicker is, evolution doesn't disprove a God. God could very well function within evolution. However, you get some people, who are so insecure about their own religion and spirituality who are afraid that if evolution is proven true, that people won't believe in their God. Its kind of like calling someone Gay, when you know they aren't. Generally, when they get really upset at the comment, then they have some doubt already in their mind.

Religion should be left out of the classroom, and taught at home. Its as simple as that. If your point is so strong, then prove it is by evidence.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Where does it say I hate anyone? where Does it say I hate Christians? I dont hate anyone for their beliefs.

This is where you are saying you want creationism taught in schools. Or did you mean something else?

I think The whole creation of the world thing(both scientific and religious) should be kept out of the schools until high School. Then it should be an elective that the student can choose for themselves, and no one can say either side is being forced on anyone.

To answer your question about evolution...I am not a scientist, but if you do some research you can find this stuff. Now before you go on saying that you shouldnt have to do the research...you are wrong, it is not up to me to convince you, anything I show you will just be replied to as there is a hole there and and hole here, or this proof makes no sense...and so on. You will only see what you want to see. Just as if I was to ask you for proof of God or Creationism...there is no way you could prove that. And any "proof" you do find, I will also read holes into it and see it how I see it.

This is exactly why it should be a choice and in the end, we will know who the winner is.

But, I do have a few questions that I am curious about...

1. If we are here based on intellegant design..
A. Why does the universe keep expanding?
B. Why is there evil?
C. What is the designer afraid of, why dont they show themselves? They created us and should know most humans dont just take your word for things...we require proof.

2. Where did the dinosaur fossils come from? The bible doesnt speak about them.

3. If the world was "created" by an intellegant being, why is the earth constantly shifting? Why do continents drift further apart? The earth changes everyday...if it was created, why must it change?

4. You know the earth is round right? The bible doesnt say that. There are alot of things that the bible was wrong about. Human error right? Wrong, the bible is said to be the word of God through his people. So you would think that if there was an error in it, God would have had them fix it. Why would God want a book about truth, that had incorrect info?

Again, you FAIL to show where I've said anything about teaching any religious stuff in school.

The non-scientific religion I'm referring to is the Religion of Evolution. THAT is a religion that has repeatedly proven itself wrong in its assertions. But it's zealous adherents - you included - are willing to just follow along with blind faith.

By the way, as far as I know, the Bible doesn't say a Zesto Raspberry Malt tastes good. But so what? Why are you basing any kind of argument on silence? That's just silly and inane.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Religion should be left out of the classroom, and taught at home. Its as simple as that. If your point is so strong, then prove it is by evidence.
I agree 100%.

But we need to have the integrity to include Secular Humanism and Atheism as religions. We need also to include the Religion of Evolution, due to the FACT that it is scientifically self-contradictory, and requires blind faith to believe.

So... You want ALL religions left out of the classroom, right?

Old 09-04-2009, 09:18 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
If you think that, you are paying way too much attention to finding out whether people are atheists or not. Of all the people I know, I can count on my fingers the ones whose religious beliefs are known to me. And when I encounter a stranger making a fool of himnself, how can I possibly know his theological views? Unless I use your litmus test----If they seem self centered and angry, they must be atheists.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you think that, you are paying way too much attention to finding out whether people are atheists or not. Of all the people I know, I can count on my fingers the ones whose religious beliefs are known to me. And when I encounter a stranger making a fool of himnself, how can I possibly know his theological views? Unless I use your litmus test----If they seem self centered and angry, they must be atheists.
Actually, the self-proclaimed atheists on this forum DO seem very angry and very set on imposing their religion on everyone else.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:04 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
Default I spent 12 years in Catholic School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I agree 100%.

But we need to have the integrity to include Secular Humanism and Atheism as religions. We need also to include the Religion of Evolution, due to the FACT that it is scientifically self-contradictory, and requires blind faith to believe.

So... You want ALL religions left out of the classroom, right?
I was taught EVOLUTION in Science class. In Religion Class they taught us that God CREATED EVOLUTION.

You see Catholics don't believe in the literal interpretation of the the Bible. In fact, I rarely even READ the Bible in Religion class.

Do you see what the problem is here? You have one major Christian sect which doesn't agree with other Christian sects. Imagine trying to fit ALL religions, including Jehovah Witness, Wiccans, etc., in a nice precise one size fits all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates